Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Oct 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #1,171 of 3,060
Im03 is the most sibilant of them all and actually most users prefer the im02 of the them all from what I've heard. I will say bias can be an issue with the im01.

What source did you test it with?  External amp?

I had IM02 and IM03, ended up keeping only IM03.  I found IM02 to be too analytical, bright, borderline sibilant.  IM03 is more bassy, warmer, smoother, musical, having the best delivery of vocals among all IEMs I have in my collection (well B&W C5 series 2 is amazing too), beating hands down UE900 and W40.  As a matter of fact, I actually had to upgrade stock cable with lunashops silver-plated ofc cable to make it brighter!  Btw, using IM03 with UE900 tips and my source is either X5 or X1 or AP100.

So, just my personal opinion since I'm relying on my ears (and do have to admit, we all have a different perception of the sound), but I would take these graphs with some grain of salt in terms of real life sound performance.  Don't recall @earfonia drawing any conclusion about IM03 being more sibilant than IM02 either :wink:

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,172 of 3,060

What source did you test it with?  External amp?

I had IM02 and IM03, ended up keeping only IM03.  I found IM02 to be too analytical, bright, borderline sibilant.  IM03 is more bassy, warmer, smoother, musical, having the best delivery of vocals among all IEMs I have in my collection (well B&W C5 series 2 is amazing too), beating hands down UE900 and W40.  As a matter of fact, I actually had to upgrade stock cable with lunashops silver-plated ofc cable to make it brighter!  Btw, using IM03 with UE900 tips and my source is either X5 or X1 or AP100.

So, just my personal opinion since I'm relying on my ears (and do have to admit, we all have a different perception of the sound), but I would take these graphs with some grain of salt in terms of real life sound performance.  Don't recall @earfonia drawing any conclusion about IM03 being more sibilant than IM02 either :wink:

The folks I know who have the IM03's don't think they exhibit any sibilance either.

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #1,173 of 3,060
Hmm there is the possibily of an insertion difference, so I would tak that into consideration

Honestly, none of these IEMs look appealing cause of their bass responses though and I'm sure that's spot on in the graphs

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,174 of 3,060
Hmm there is the possibily of an insertion difference, so I would tak that into consideration

Honestly, none of these IEMs look appealing cause of their bass responses though and I'm sure that's spot on in the graphs

There are lots of factors such as insertions, tips used, sources that finally alter the sound so I think you shouldn't judge an iem by graphs. 
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,175 of 3,060
for the bass, the bass is presented with the ideal insertion, so I don't think that's affected. Now the for the stuff past 5k, insertion can change things, but all are using the tips for these graphs. Though the fact that when the same insertion is used the IM01 has better bandwidth than the 03 and 04 makes me skeptical, but it is possible that maybe the latter needs a different insertion. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,176 of 3,060
^were you able to listen to any of these?

when I listened to im03 out of dx90 there was sibilance in lots of tracks _ a piercing noise in vocals particular ly with s sh ch sounds. Tracks that are typically sibilant were hard to listen to. But euphoria mentioned there may be a bright sound with low out z which dx90 has.

I think maybe I'm just really sensitive to treble since he560 sounds sibilant also, or maybe it's my dacamp nfb11 and dx90, or maybe even burn in idk. But if you see sibilance on the graph then it's probable.

I think everyone should at least try them for a week :]

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #1,177 of 3,060

I bought 3rd party cable for my ATH-IM03. It's Silver Plated Copper with Oyaide Rhodium jack. The cable named HD-CA SCC Mk. I.

So much improvements with my IM03! It's more clean sounding, more open, brighter, and more controlled bass.
Vocals are amazing, it's much more engaging. Mid frequencies are more forward than stock cable. Details of instruments are more revealing.

The cable price arround US$120, and I think it's worth to buy!

==============

^were you able to listen to any of these?

when I listened to im03 out of dx90 there was sibilance in lots of tracks _ a piercing noise in vocals particular ly with s sh ch sounds. Tracks that are typically sibilant were hard to listen to. But euphoria mentioned there may be a bright sound with low out z which dx90 has.

I think maybe I'm just really sensitive to treble since he560 sounds sibilant also, or maybe it's my dacamp nfb11 and dx90, or maybe even burn in idk. But if you see sibilance on the graph then it's probable.

I think everyone should at least try them for a week :]

Try to change eartips. Ortofon eartips are the best in my opinion.

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #1,179 of 3,060
I just ordered. Are these the ones you're talking about:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1038121&gclid=CjwKEAjwzqKiBRCAydTZzOLi9CISJACm3irWb4v1ZF6MbWlSkNx8zXuLE87F0KhzA0ip8VJxxZm0qhoC-Sfw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I also found black ones, wasn't sure which ones to get. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,180 of 3,060
  I just ordered. Are these the ones you're talking about:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1038121&gclid=CjwKEAjwzqKiBRCAydTZzOLi9CISJACm3irWb4v1ZF6MbWlSkNx8zXuLE87F0KhzA0ip8VJxxZm0qhoC-Sfw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I also found black ones, wasn't sure which ones to get. 

Yes, they are. As far as I know there are no black Ortofon tips. Be carefull, they are most probably fake!

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #1,181 of 3,060
I have the IM03 and just received the JVC EP-FX9L-B large tips and they work well, similar to the large Sony Hybrids, I may like them a bit more.

with the Monster Gel and Foam SuperTip starter kit, none would make a seal for me.

I contacted Ortofon, and can only buy assorted kit, not 3 pairs of large, same thing with the Sony Hybrid, need to buy a whole set to get *one* pair that fits.

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,182 of 3,060
  I have the IM03 and just received the JVC EP-FX9L-B large tips and they work well, similar to the large Sony Hybrids, I may like them a bit more.

with the Monster Gel and Foam SuperTip starter kit, none would make a seal for me.

I contacted Ortofon, and can only buy assorted kit, not 3 pairs of large, same thing with the Sony Hybrid, need to buy a whole set to get *one* pair that fits.

Interesting!

I also didn't have any luck with the Monster Gel & Foam SuperTip starter kit. Tried with so many IEMs, none sounds better with the Monster tips. Also seal sometime problematic.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,185 of 3,060
Also, coming from the IM50, how is the sound of the IM02? I'm hoping for a neutral sound and hoping that the JDS Labs C5 handles the bass properly.

IM02 is a step up in overall sound quality. It is flatter across the spectrum and has better clarity and resolution. If you are looking for more neutrality compared to the IM50 you will get that. 

However, the bass will also be noticeably lighter on the IM02. I dont know if the C5 has a bass boost and if it does, how it will work with the IM02's overall sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back