Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #676 of 3,060
the 70s were just over 7000. Now the 70s are over a 10,000 yen. ****!

But the 70s are more accurate???

Really not sure which to get. The audiophile in me is leaning towards the 70s.

I bought mine for about 9000 yen, just about right. Be patient and keep watch for the price drop in amazon.jp because price keep fluctuating ( i dont know how come so; sounds like a stock market) . I saw earlier than 70s went for 7000ish yen too. 

May 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #677 of 3,060
  I would like to hear more opinions about the IM03 vs CK100Pro since the IM03 is supposed to be the successor.  Do the IM03s move too far away from analytical or is it more of a slight tweak?  And for people who have heard both which did you like better?

These will be replacing my DBA-02s as my work IEMs.  I love the DBA-02s (haven't heard higher end stuff) but they can be fatiguing and I have to turn up the volume to really make them shine.  Since I often wear them all day I don't want to do this for the sake of my hearing.  I occasionally use MC5s at home as my backup pair but they are too thin and lifeless.  The IM03 sounds like exactly what I'm looking for: something less harsh than the DBA-02s but still fairly neutral and a bit more musical.

Don't have CK100Pro or had a chance to auditioned it before, but I can tell you that IM03 is NOT analytical/revealing, that's IM02 job :)  IM03 is perfectly balanced, with mids slightly edging out (not mid-centric, just a little bit forward), and amazing bass performance (both in quality and quantity).  Very natural tonality, wide sound, detailed and bright, but not overbearing, no harsh peaks, very easy on your ears for extended listening.  Also, they are build tough!

May 26, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #678 of 3,060
  I would like to hear more opinions about the IM03 vs CK100Pro since the IM03 is supposed to be the successor.  Do the IM03s move too far away from analytical or is it more of a slight tweak?  And for people who have heard both which did you like better?

These will be replacing my DBA-02s as my work IEMs.  I love the DBA-02s (haven't heard higher end stuff) but they can be fatiguing and I have to turn up the volume to really make them shine.  Since I often wear them all day I don't want to do this for the sake of my hearing.  I occasionally use MC5s at home as my backup pair but they are too thin and lifeless.  The IM03 sounds like exactly what I'm looking for: something less harsh than the DBA-02s but still fairly neutral and a bit more musical.

I tried CK100Pro a while a go, and it does sound more analytical than IM03.  Between the 2, I prefer IM03 by quite a large margin, for more musical tonality.

May 27, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #679 of 3,060
  Great news! IM70 is also in stock..

glad I cancelled my order with them. Though this is what they told me, I've been enjoying my IM70 for the last 2 weeks, as opposed to wanting to hunt down their HQ in angry mode. 
wink.gif

May 28, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #680 of 3,060

Have you tried your DBAs with a double flange tip? If not, you are missing a lot.

May 28, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #681 of 3,060

Have you tried your DBAs with a double flange tip? If not, you are missing a lot.

At one point I did modify some Shure tri flanges by chopping off the smallest part (it was all the rage back then and I have 3-4 sets from RMAing a pair of E4Cs/SCL4s multiple times).  I can't remember if that was for my MC5s or DBAs.  Either way I didn't end up using them regularly.  I use Shure greys on the DBAs.  But thanks for reminding me, I'll try the modified tips again.  I do like the fit of the tri flanges on the MC5s, I just find the sound quality lacking.

I ordered the IM03s anyway because they sound appealing.  The goal is to replace the MC5s and have a nice pair at home and at work so it's not like I'm throwing the DBAs out.

May 28, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #683 of 3,060
this is my first proper IEM set. I just popped the standerd silicon in my ears (med size) and they fit perfect. 
after 2 weeks of constant use my left ear feels like it keeps slipping out. 
I have changed over to the comply sample the included. I dont feel the slippage, but they feel a little weird. but great seal. give me a day or two. 

But is that weird, that the silicon fits for the first couple weeks, but not now? that seems weird to me. 

May 31, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #684 of 3,060
Got IM50 today from accessoryjack.com (http://www.accessoryjack.com/audio-technica-ath-im50-dual-symphonic-in-ear-monitor-headphones-black.html), btw they got the BEST price for $67 shipped, and I was also very pleased with their careful extra packaging.  Just did a quick 6hr burn in with pink loop, these are dynamic drivers after all.

Full review to come soon, but here is my quick first impression. 

So here I'm sitting and scratching my head with IM03 in one hand and IM50 in the other hand ($300 price difference), and let me tell you - IM50 is among the BEST price/performance/build ratio IEMs you can get on the market right now.  Identical removable cable with behind-the-ear memory wire, same high quality build, slightly smaller than IM03 while having a longer nozzle (still a similar fitment ergonomics).  Very detailed balanced sound with an excellent enhanced bass representation with both quality and quantity (fast punchy mid-bass with a nice sub-bass layer, not too overwhelming and without spilling into mids).  Mids are a little more upfront in comparison to IM03, very detailed, natural, musical.  In comparison, IM03 mids pushed a little bit back, but sounds smoother and just a little bit fuller.  No harsh peaks in either of these.  Excellent delivery of vocals!  Treble has a nice sparkle details, extended, no hint of sibilance, to my ears it's matched between IM03 and IM50.  One obvious difference, IM03 has a wider soundstage in comparison to IM50, and I can hear sound being a bit more layered (crossover with triple BA driver has an advantage over dual dynamic driver in this case).  But in general, overall sound signature is similar.  I also think it's very impressive to have such a beautiful midrange delivery in headphones with enhanced bass (don't get a wrong idea, these are not for bassheads, just extra bass quantity to make you feel these lows hit hard!!!) where you typically expect v-shaped sound but instead treated with a balanced signature!

I'm very impressed!  Definitely an excellent alternative for those on a budget who have been eyeballing IM03 :wink:

May 31, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #685 of 3,060
  this is my first proper IEM set. I just popped the standerd silicon in my ears (med size) and they fit perfect. 
after 2 weeks of constant use my left ear feels like it keeps slipping out. 
I have changed over to the comply sample the included. I dont feel the slippage, but they feel a little weird. but great seal. give me a day or two. 

But is that weird, that the silicon fits for the first couple weeks, but not now? that seems weird to me. 

IM50 has standard 5 mm nozzle, you can try with double flanges for example, or simple other brand silicon tips.  For my IM50, I've been using silicon tips from Superlux HD381, and feel more comfortable.  Will try other tips as well later.

Got IM50 today from accessoryjack.com (http://www.accessoryjack.com/audio-technica-ath-im50-dual-symphonic-in-ear-monitor-headphones-black.html), btw they got the BEST price for $67 shipped, and I was also very pleased with their careful extra packaging.  Just did a quick 6hr burn in with pink loop, these are dynamic drivers after all.

Full review to come soon, but here is my quick first impression. 

So here I'm sitting and scratching my head with IM03 in one hand and IM50 in the other hand ($300 price difference), and let me tell you - IM50 is among the BEST price/performance/build ratio IEMs you can get on the market right now. ...

I'm very impressed!  Definitely an excellent alternative for those on a budget who have been eyeballing IM03 :wink:

That's why I call it a 'Giant Killer' 
ksc75smile.gif

But there are some people who prefer more analytical sound, that don't favor IM50 sound signature. So again, still boils down to individual preferences.

Btw, for those who are interested, I found Zero Audio Carbo Tenore is another 'Giant Killer' that's worth considering 
normal_smile .gif

May 31, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #686 of 3,060
That's why I call it a 'Giant Killer' 
ksc75smile.gif

But there are some people who prefer more analytical sound, that don't favor IM50 sound signature. So again, still boils down to individual preferences.

Btw, for those who are interested, I found Zero Audio Carbo Tenore is another 'Giant Killer' that's worth considering 
normal_smile%20.gif

Getting ZA Tenore on Monday (already at a local FedEx location, waiting for delivery!), and also should be getting Ostry KC06 (and eventually KC06A).  A lot of great choices in $60 price range :wink:

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #687 of 3,060
I am very much enjoying the tenores and kc06's, but you guys are getting me intriuged with the im50's now as well!

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #688 of 3,060

I'm still in love with my IM50s as you can see in the picture. Btw, I put a spacer (2mm thickness) which I used Philips 3590 small silicone tips that didn't fit my ear and removed the filters which for me add veil to the sound and put UE600 silicone tips.
They are amazing now. 
beerchug.gif
  I guess after this mode it became poor man's IM02.
biggrin.gif

Edit: After this quick mod, you will gain some clarity and wider soundstage. Before you ask me let me answer this mod effects. The spacer which is about 2mm thickness widens the soundstage, they will be more comfortable and won't irritate ears who has small ear canals.

By removing the filters and putting UE600 silicone tips it will sound clearer and more detailed. That is what you can ask from IM50s and worth a try.
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #689 of 3,060

I'm still in love with my IM50s as you can see in the picture. Btw, I put a spacer (2mm thickness) which I used Philips 3590 small silicone tips that didn't fit my ear and removed the filters which for me add veil to the sound and put UE600 silicone tips.
They are amazing now. 
beerchug.gif
  I guess after this mode it became poor man's IM02.
biggrin.gif

Edit: After this quick mod, you will gain some clarity and wider soundstage. Before you ask me let me answer this mod effects. The spacer which is about 2mm thickness widens the soundstage, they will be more comfortable and won't irritate ears who has small ear canals.

By removing the filters and putting UE600 silicone tips it will sound clearer and more detailed. That is what you can ask from IM50s and worth a try.
wink.gif

When you said you removed the filter, are you talking about that round patch covering the nozzle (like RE400 stick-on filter) or in addition to round patch you also removed some kind of a foam insert inside of a nozzle (like in Pistons)?

So far I'm enjoying my IM50 very much, if anything, they are poor man's IM03 with a narrower soundstage and a bit less separation/details (at a cost saving of $300).  Regarding spacer, I had a hard time making a perfect one today, constantly end up with uneven edges.  So instead I decide to try hybrid tips (don't remember if these are from v-moda faders or "sony" look-a-likes I got for $0.99 from ebay), but due to a stiffer short silicone tube it stops before sliding all the way in, creating an "air" spacers by itself.  Looks like this:

It actually improves soundstage a little bit.  That extra space does make a subtle difference.  Even when I push IM50 all the way in my ears, the eartip doesn't slide to the back because the hybrid design requires extra force to slide it all the way.  So, that's another alternative I suggest to try if you don't have patience of cutting tip spacers :wink:

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #690 of 3,060
Has anyone heard the IM50 vs the Shure SE215's? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back