Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,156 of 1,193
I would like to know if anybody has managed to get them open, my left earphone failed around strain relief, would love to open and add mmcx there, these earphones are too good to part without attempting to repair.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,158 of 1,193
Спасибо. Узнать бы еще как расслоить резинку возле корпуса. Дома посмотрю.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #1,159 of 1,193
Спасибо. Узнать бы еще как расслоить резинку возле корпуса. Дома посмотрю.
At the headphones, where the cable is included there is a removable part, taking off which we get access to the cables inside the headphones. Now I can not exactly show, I have headphones at work. Although ... at home there are still new CKR10 and CKR9LTD.

У наушников , там где входит кабель есть съемная деталь, сняв которую получаем доступ к кабелям внутри наушников. Сейчас точно показать не могу , у меня наушники лежат на работе. Хотя ... дома есть еще новые CKR10 и CKR9LTD.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,160 of 1,193
Thank you.
Such an amazing sound quality worth restoring.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,161 of 1,193
Вот тут Fixed with glue. Removed with a little effort. Easy to install back.
img246_34703.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #1,163 of 1,193
Anyone still using the CKRs in 2019???
Yes.

Great earphones.
Pros: Lively sound. Honestly, the sound it produces made me like it over akg k3003i, westone w60 (no experiences with w80), dunu dn1000s (no experiences with 2000), etymotic er4xr, massdrop plus
Bass and high notes. Bass quality is great. Treble seems to get everything right outside cymbals.
'W" shaped? Good bass. Amazing high notes with singers. Good mids. Low mids are its weak point.
The high notes outside cymbals are phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. Perfect with viola or high female voice.
Cons:
Lack of detail. This is not a detail IEM like the Etmoytic er4xr. So if you expect to hear "instruments" that you haven't heard before, this is not the IEM for you. But trust me when I say this, this was the first IEM that made me really appreciate music. It knows how to make a music lively.
Non-detachable cables.
Sounds 'muddy' from time to time with the bass notes. What I mean is, I feel the bass leaks towards the mids. Again, the low mids seem the weak point.
No one really knows about original CKR series here. And those who do generally seem to buy fakes so all those reviews in head-fi are quite questionable. Quite unfortunate in fact.
Not one of those IEMs you can listen all day and not feel fatigued.

I would say this personally:
If detailing is of important issue to you under $1k, opt Etymotic er4sr. Heck, I heard better details from er4xr than Shure SE846. I just wish I had opted er4sr instead. Seems er4xr to me has too much bass.
If you want to enjoy music (seems the sound style is great with OSU/Nightcore/Japanese anime music), opt CKR. The only IEM that I preferred it to CKR was the Shure SE846. I do not know about Campfire Andromeda but of the universals I have tried from Westone, Dunu, AKG, etc., those universals were all disappointments to me. In fact, the AKG K3003i made me wonder if those were $120 earphones. As for the Westone series, similar idea. The w60 felt like it should be priced $230 at most. The dunu just didn't match with me when it came to sound signature so no comments there.

I am now more hesitant with the advice in head-fi after listening to different IEMs myself. There seems to be a gravitation to rating 'popular' or more 'expensive' IEM as better.
Etymotic er4xr and CKR9Ltd led me to believe under $1000 at least, there really isn't a better overall product.
Etymotic er4 seems the best product for detailing in the universals section under $1000. It felt noticeably better than Shure SE846 so I'm not surprised Eytmotic boasts as being one of the most accurate IEMs in the planet scientifically.
CKR seems the best product for live style music listening (the Etymotic ). Though be warned, if you switch from er4 to ckr, the ckr bass will feel bloated. And if detailing is what you are aiming for, I heavily recommend the Etymotic er4sr.

Personally from what I have heard:
Clean/detailed sound:
Etymotic er4 >>> Shure SE846 > CKR 9Ltd
Everyday sound:
CKR 9Ltd > Shure SE846 > Etymotic er4
Bass sound:
Shure SE846 > CKR 9Ltd > Etymotic er4
Clean bass sound:
Etymotic er4 > Shure SE846 > CKR 9Ltd
Background cymbals or guitar notes:
Etymotic er4 > Shure SE846 >>> CKR 9Ltd
Soundstage:
Shure SE846 > CKR 9Ltd >> Etymotic er4

Sound signature wise, CKR has been the best sound signature I have heard to date. It shines with music sang by singers that is more high tone. However, if what you are opting is for clarity/detailing, opt for the Etymotic er4. Just note for me the Etymotic did sound dry from time to time (and feel dry in your ears cause of the drilling).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,164 of 1,193
Anyone still using the CKRs in 2019???
Yes I am still loving my CKR9. I am not one to constantly change my headphone/earbuds so if I have something I enjoy for the application, then I tend to just enjoy them. I have stax electrostatic earspeakers at home so I only use my CKR9 when I am out commuting on the train or in quiet coffee shops. I never use them at the office or at home. I also find earbuds not the most comfortable so I would never use them (or any high end earbud) for extended periods at my desk for instance.
But given all that background, I am more than pleased with the sound quality of the CKR9 and it gives me a nice detailed yet balanced sound that is similar in character to my HD580, Stax, ATH-ESw9 or home speakers that I can easily switch between them without causing the glaring change in character that can sometimes happen with headphones.
What I am referring to is that "learned" shift that happens when a pair of headphones has obvious boost/dips in the frequency response. On first switching to those "different" headphones we might get excited by hearing something different. But then after awhile our brains adjust. And then when we switch back or take them off, I can often have this weird sense of "things don't sound right" or a ringing in my ears. These are the kinds of headphones I avoid. And for me the CKR9, with a tiny EQ adjust of about -3db at 7khz, produces a very flat response. The kind of flat response where listening to classical music, piano, jazz will produce that correct sound of a live performance or other flat speaker / headphone systems. That is the kind of headphone/earspeaker/speaker I am attracted too and the CKR9 fits perfectly for me as my "out and about" earbud. So I will hang onto them and protect them so they can give me a long time span.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #1,165 of 1,193
Yes.

Great earphones.
Pros: Lively sound. Honestly, the sound it produces made me like it over akg k3003i, westone w60 (no experiences with w80), dunu dn1000s (no experiences with 2000), etymotic er4xr, massdrop plus
Bass and high notes. Bass quality is great. Treble seems to get everything right outside cymbals.
'W" shaped? Good bass. Amazing high notes with singers. Good mids. Low mids are its weak point.
The high notes outside cymbals are phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. Perfect with viola or high female voice.
Cons:
Lack of detail. This is not a detail IEM like the Etmoytic er4xr. So if you expect to hear "instruments" that you haven't heard before, this is not the IEM for you. But trust me when I say this, this was the first IEM that made me really appreciate music. It knows how to make a music lively.
Non-detachable cables.
Sounds 'muddy' from time to time with the bass notes. What I mean is, I feel the bass leaks towards the mids. Again, the low mids seem the weak point.
No one really knows about original CKR series here. And those who do generally seem to buy fakes so all those reviews in head-fi are quite questionable. Quite unfortunate in fact.
Not one of those IEMs you can listen all day and not feel fatigued.

I would say this personally:
If detailing is of important issue to you under $1k, opt Etymotic er4sr. Heck, I heard better details from er4xr than Shure SE846. I just wish I had opted er4sr instead. Seems er4xr to me has too much bass.
If you want to enjoy music (seems the sound style is great with OSU/Nightcore/Japanese anime music), opt CKR. The only IEM that I preferred it to CKR was the Shure SE846. I do not know about Campfire Andromeda but of the universals I have tried from Westone, Dunu, AKG, etc., those universals were all disappointments to me. In fact, the AKG K3003i made me wonder if those were $120 earphones. As for the Westone series, similar idea. The w60 felt like it should be priced $230 at most. The dunu just didn't match with me when it came to sound signature so no comments there.

I am now more hesitant with the advice in head-fi after listening to different IEMs myself. There seems to be a gravitation to rating 'popular' or more 'expensive' IEM as better.
Etymotic er4xr and CKR9Ltd led me to believe under $1000 at least, there really isn't a better overall product.
Etymotic er4 seems the best product for detailing in the universals section under $1000. It felt noticeably better than Shure SE846 so I'm not surprised Eytmotic boasts as being one of the most accurate IEMs in the planet scientifically.
CKR seems the best product for live style music listening (the Etymotic ). Though be warned, if you switch from er4 to ckr, the ckr bass will feel bloated. And if detailing is what you are aiming for, I heavily recommend the Etymotic er4sr.

Personally from what I have heard:
Clean/detailed sound:
Etymotic er4 >>> Shure SE846 > CKR 9Ltd
Everyday sound:
CKR 9Ltd > Shure SE846 > Etymotic er4
Bass sound:
Shure SE846 > CKR 9Ltd > Etymotic er4
Clean bass sound:
Etymotic er4 > Shure SE846 > CKR 9Ltd
Background cymbals or guitar notes:
Etymotic er4 > Shure SE846 >>> CKR 9Ltd
Soundstage:
Shure SE846 > CKR 9Ltd >> Etymotic er4

Sound signature wise, CKR has been the best sound signature I have heard to date. It shines with music sang by singers that is more high tone. However, if what you are opting is for clarity/detailing, opt for the Etymotic er4. Just note for me the Etymotic did sound dry from time to time (and feel dry in your ears cause of the drilling).

What a nice review. I love mine too. After hearing a couple of higher level iems (the fitear & the andromeda), I find that my CKR9LTD still ain't outdated yet. If the fitear & the andro are 9/10 then the CKR9LTD would be 8 or 8.5/10. Here is my beloved CKR9LTD
XJLmJNs.jpg

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #1,167 of 1,193
Today I tried in store the Audeze iSINE20 in-Ear. First of all, why are these IEMs so uncomfortable? The Audeze is just so big.
I also tried Sennheiser IE 80.

The CKR9 Ltd is brighter than the two. Clarity wise, it outperforms both iSINE20 and IE80. Bass quality wise, it also outperforms both.
The Sennheiser IE 80 just seemed inferior in every metric I could think of. The CKR9 Ltd was just a step above.
As for the Audeze, it felt the same. The iSINE20 has though a very large soundstage. A surprise in itself. But in doing so, I wonder if iSINE20 distorts the music itself. While it is able to discriminate the background sound from the main sound through different levels in the soundstage, the sound is not as clear as the sound in CKR9 Ltd. In other words, the iSINE20 to have a more exaggerated soundstage seems to distort the music too much to the point that it feels muddy compared to the CKR9 Ltd.

After testing again, I am again very happy to be the owner of CKR9 Ltd. Again under $1,000 in the universals (I have no experience with Andromeda and the like), outside the Shure SE846 and Etmoytic er4, I to this day cannot find a better overall IEM in comparison to the CKR9 Ltd.
I expected more out of iSINE20 because it was so well hyped but for the price and its uncomfortable-ness and all, I was largely disappointed (And elated to listen to the CKR9 Ltd again right after).

I really do believe under $1000 in the universals, if I "had to rank" IEMs in order:
1. Etymotic er4 (it doesn't even feel like a contest. It is just... far more clean and detailed than the SE846. Like seriously, it's a very very clean IEM and for the price, feels like a steal in the IEM industry. When I hear the er4, I really wonder do we need multiple drivers? Sure the highs need work but other than that, it does its job.)
2. Shure SE846
3. AudioTechnica CKR9 Ltd
Notable shout outs for its price/performance to AudioTechnica e40 and Zero Audio Tenores.
Now as for which I enjoy listening to of the 3 above:
1. Shure SE846
2. AudioTechnica CKR9 Ltd
3. Etmoytic er4 (It's a very clean IEM. But it is an earphone that you cannot move much with <without the clip on, the cable noise is... like no other <in a negative sense> and I never cared about cable noise>. Also, it is nowhere as fun to listen to as CKR9 Ltd or SE846.)

The CKR9 Ltd felt like 95~99% of the SE846. For the price I paid, I am still very happy with its performance.
Plus, I thought CKR9 Ltd wasn't that comfortable (since it is one of the bigger ones) but holy crap, compared to the Audeze iSINE20? I pity those who have that IEM.

I'm more surprised the CKR9/LTD/10 series are not as popular as it could have been. These are great IEMs. Albeit I don't have experience with the CKR9 but the CKR9 Ltd and 10 are great IEMs in itself (and I greatly preferred the LTD over the 10).
It's a pity that I hear the newer CKR models don't sound as great. CKR + detachable cables = a phenomenal steal at its price.
Also, genuine question, are people drawn into Campfire Orion and the like because it looks cool? I haven't heard of any Campfire products myself but I do personally doubt the quality of Campfire products below Andromeda. It looks nice and 'prestigious' but are there actually people who extensively compared between these more custom/exclusive IEM to the top IEM in the general market (at similar price range)? I know one of the Noble IEM (no idea of the model but I will assume the cheaper ones) I tried from my friend was a heavy disappointment at one point. Is it the 'exclusiveness' that draws people in like Apple products to the average American?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,168 of 1,193
Today I tried in store the Audeze iSINE20 in-Ear. First of all, why are these IEMs so uncomfortable? The Audeze is just so big.
I also tried Sennheiser IE 80.

The CKR9 Ltd is brighter than the two. Clarity wise, it outperforms both iSINE20 and IE80. Bass quality wise, it also outperforms both.
The Sennheiser IE 80 just seemed inferior in every metric I could think of. The CKR9 Ltd was just a step above.
As for the Audeze, it felt the same. The iSINE20 has though a very large soundstage. A surprise in itself. But in doing so, I wonder if iSINE20 distorts the music itself. While it is able to discriminate the background sound from the main sound through different levels in the soundstage, the sound is not as clear as the sound in CKR9 Ltd. In other words, the iSINE20 to have a more exaggerated soundstage seems to distort the music too much to the point that it feels muddy compared to the CKR9 Ltd.

After testing again, I am again very happy to be the owner of CKR9 Ltd. Again under $1,000 in the universals (I have no experience with Andromeda and the like), outside the Shure SE846 and Etmoytic er4, I to this day cannot find a better overall IEM in comparison to the CKR9 Ltd.
I expected more out of iSINE20 because it was so well hyped but for the price and its uncomfortable-ness and all, I was largely disappointed (And elated to listen to the CKR9 Ltd again right after).

I really do believe under $1000 in the universals, if I "had to rank" IEMs in order:
1. Etymotic er4 (it doesn't even feel like a contest. It is just... far more clean and detailed than the SE846. Like seriously, it's a very very clean IEM and for the price, feels like a steal in the IEM industry. When I hear the er4, I really wonder do we need multiple drivers? Sure the highs need work but other than that, it does its job.)
2. Shure SE846
3. AudioTechnica CKR9 Ltd
Notable shout outs for its price/performance to AudioTechnica e40 and Zero Audio Tenores.
Now as for which I enjoy listening to of the 3 above:
1. Shure SE846
2. AudioTechnica CKR9 Ltd
3. Etmoytic er4 (It's a very clean IEM. But it is an earphone that you cannot move much with <without the clip on, the cable noise is... like no other <in a negative sense> and I never cared about cable noise>. Also, it is nowhere as fun to listen to as CKR9 Ltd or SE846.)

The CKR9 Ltd felt like 95~99% of the SE846. For the price I paid, I am still very happy with its performance.
Plus, I thought CKR9 Ltd wasn't that comfortable (since it is one of the bigger ones) but holy crap, compared to the Audeze iSINE20? I pity those who have that IEM.

I'm more surprised the CKR9/LTD/10 series are not as popular as it could have been. These are great IEMs. Albeit I don't have experience with the CKR9 but the CKR9 Ltd and 10 are great IEMs in itself (and I greatly preferred the LTD over the 10).
It's a pity that I hear the newer CKR models don't sound as great. CKR + detachable cables = a phenomenal steal at its price.
Also, genuine question, are people drawn into Campfire Orion and the like because it looks cool? I haven't heard of any Campfire products myself but I do personally doubt the quality of Campfire products below Andromeda. It looks nice and 'prestigious' but are there actually people who extensively compared between these more custom/exclusive IEM to the top IEM in the general market (at similar price range)? I know one of the Noble IEM (no idea of the model but I will assume the cheaper ones) I tried from my friend was a heavy disappointment at one point. Is it the 'exclusiveness' that draws people in like Apple products to the average American?
The ath-e70 blows them all out the water including the se846 imho.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #1,169 of 1,193
The ath-e70 blows them all out the water including the se846 imho.
Oh I don't doubt it. After listening to E40, CKR9 Ltd, im70, I have no doubts on AudioTechnica's flagship IEM.
Hope you are enjoying the E70.
And in case you guys don't know, AudioTechnica's warranty program is incredible. And I know many people here have fake CKR series since the actual CKR9 Ltd only has a 1 year warranty. I don't know how these people are able to claim 2 or 3 year warranties.
It's pretty funny how many of the reviewers and the commenters here purchase fakes. At least buy the real ones if you want to compare with other high end IEMs. Sure they might sound better than your everyday earphone but the sound quality from the fakes properly isn't the same as the genuine models.

Having stated that, I haven't had the chance to ever try the E70. The highest series in ATH I listened to was the E50 and even E50 I recall was wonderful. I recommended my sister the E40 and to be quite frank, I am quite jealous of it.
The E40 has far better cable (and far thicker), detachable, and less than $100 while sounding like 85% of CKR9 Ltd!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #1,170 of 1,193
Oh I don't doubt it. After listening to E40, CKR9 Ltd, im70, I have no doubts on AudioTechnica's flagship IEM.
Hope you are enjoying the E70.
And in case you guys don't know, AudioTechnica's warranty program is incredible. And I know many people here have fake CKR series since the actual CKR9 Ltd only has a 1 year warranty. I don't know how these people are able to claim 2 or 3 year warranties.
It's pretty funny how many of the reviewers and the commenters here purchase fakes. At least buy the real ones if you want to compare with other high end IEMs. Sure they might sound better than your everyday earphone but the sound quality from the fakes properly isn't the same as the genuine models.

Having stated that, I haven't had the chance to ever try the E70. The highest series in ATH I listened to was the E50 and even E50 I recall was wonderful. I recommended my sister the E40 and to be quite frank, I am quite jealous of it.
The E40 has far better cable (and far thicker), detachable, and less than $100 while sounding like 85% of CKR9 Ltd!
Yes, the e-70 is just phenomanal. I can't wait until audio technica starts making customs. The detail in those puppies are just out of this world for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back