Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Dec 29, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,051 of 1,193
I had t20's and did not like them at all. They sounded muffled compared to even their smaller brother rha 750. Bass did not wow me eithet, even with all the diffetrent filters. Audiotechnica ckr 9 are the best phones I ever had, including ckr10, which I returned after 1 week, and jvc 850 (woodies), which I still have, but probably not for long. I come back to clarity and dynamics of ckr9's after trying those higher priced and rated phones every time...

Thanks for the input, I am also very much considering the CKR9 , just worried they are too flat/bright sounding, as I prefer something to the warmer side. I currently use se215, and my music preference is Metal & Rock, and at times pop & rnb. I prefer a warmer sound signature over a clinical/anylitical sound, and strong (not recessed) vocals. Also would like bass quanity not to be much less than se215 but preferably tighter.

IEMs I have read reviews of I think would fit pretty well are Shure Se846 and UM 50 PRO, but they are too pricey, would you recommened ckr9, or think it will be too flat for me?

Was also looking in to the CKR9 LTD , but they are no where to be had here in Denmark, and seems to be fakes around, just feels abit meh to get CKR9 since everyone seems to think LTD are better.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #1,052 of 1,193
I value clarity in highs over bass. If bass is what you are after,get jvc 850' or ckr 10's. 10's are great but when I compared 9's side by side, I missed their dynamic quality and 'quickness' of the drivers, especially for live percussion tracks like 'birdman' soundtrack. For me, 9's sound like the best on the market today under $400.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #1,053 of 1,193
I don't think the 9s are too analytical and the 10s are indeed warmer.  I stayed with the 10s mostly because I'm too averse to bright-sounding headphones.  I don't fault the 9s in taht regard, it really is my intolerance for even occasional peakiness or sibilance.  The bass is good in both but it can be a bit much in the 10s depending on the track.  This is acceptable to my ears because of the excellent amount detail they retain.  

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,055 of 1,193
So I've recently joined the CKR-10 owner's club and I can't help but feel dissapointed with them. I let them burn in for about 70 hours before my first listen session and was surprised that while the vocals sound smooth and warm, they are also veiled and recessed in comparison to everything else that is going on.

I've listened to them for about 10-20 hours now and tried switching around plugs to i.e. the JVC Spiral Dots which opens them up some but only accentuates my issue with them in most tracks. In comparison to my old CKS1000 there's a definitive improvement on bass, smoothness and so forth but it's hidden in the back of the room so to speak and it's not coming out to play. Whereas the CKS1000 has everybody standing in a line the CKR-10 seems to have the vocalist standing behind everyone else.

At first I thought it might be that my iphone 6 was the issue so I also ran it out of my Audio-GB NFB28 and compared that with the CKS1000 and my HD700 (just for kicks). While the overall quality of the sound went up, as expected, the inherrent "issue" was still there. The HD700 doesn't have this issue and neither does the CKS1000.

I'm not sure if this is what the CKR-10 is supposed to sound like or that I am missing something. If the former then I'm going to sell it off and keep looking. As for the latter, does anyone have any idea what else I might try?

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,056 of 1,193
So I've recently joined the CKR-10 owner's club and I can't help but feel dissapointed with them. I let them burn in for about 70 hours before my first listen session and was surprised that while the vocals sound smooth and warm, they are also veiled and recessed in comparison to everything else that is going on.

I've listened to them for about 10-20 hours now and tried switching around plugs to i.e. the JVC Spiral Dots which opens them up some but only accentuates my issue with them in most tracks. In comparison to my old CKS1000 there's a definitive improvement on bass, smoothness and so forth but it's hidden in the back of the room so to speak and it's not coming out to play. Whereas the CKS1000 has everybody standing in a line the CKR-10 seems to have the vocalist standing behind everyone else.

At first I thought it might be that my iphone 6 was the issue so I also ran it out of my Audio-GB NFB28 and compared that with the CKS1000 and my HD700 (just for kicks). While the overall quality of the sound went up, as expected, the inherrent "issue" was still there. The HD700 doesn't have this issue and neither does the CKS1000.

I'm not sure if this is what the CKR-10 is supposed to sound like or that I am missing something. If the former then I'm going to sell it off and keep looking. As for the latter, does anyone have any idea what else I might try?

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure what you're hearing but Im listening to mine at the moment, and the singer is definitely present and vocals are pretty forward. the bass is also very present.

Where did you get yours from if I may ask?

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,057 of 1,193
I'm not exactly sure what you're hearing but Im listening to mine at the moment, and the singer is definitely present and vocals are pretty forward. the bass is also very present.

Where did you get yours from if I may ask?

+1, same here....

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #1,058 of 1,193

Thanks!

Where did you purchase from?

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,059 of 1,193
I purchased them here (Dutch Retailer). It's not a japanese import, it's an EU version according to the box.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,060 of 1,193
I purchased them here.

Something is not right. Either you got a defective unit or you're not getting a proper fit. The way you describe them is not how it should sound. Just look at some reviews.....

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,061 of 1,193
Something is not right. Either you got a defective unit or you're not getting a proper fit. The way you describe them is not how it should sound. Just look at some reviews.....

Yea, that's why I was dissapointed. A bad seal was also something I considered, so I switched between the plugs that I get a good seal with on the CSK1000 and the JVC's and went back and forth but they don't differ on that bit of the sound signature. The issue remained, so in the end I turned to here. So that leaves that either my ears interpret the sound signature completly different then everybody else, I might not be describing the issue clear enough or I have a defective unit.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,062 of 1,193
My CKR9 and CKR9LTD also sounded veiled/not as detailed as my LZ-A2, especially in the lower mids.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #1,063 of 1,193
  My CKR9 and CKR9LTD also sounded veiled/not as detailed as my LZ-A2, especially in the lower mids.

Interesting. So it might just be that my ears aren't quite like everbody else's, which is entirely possible.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,064 of 1,193

Interesting. So it might just be that my ears aren't quite like everbody else's, which is entirely possible.

Actually, I think mine sounded like yours.  I also found the vocals to be not as loud as the rest of the spectrum (or behind everyone else)

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,065 of 1,193
  Actually, I think mine sounded like yours.  I also found the vocals to be not as loud as the rest of the spectrum (or behind everyone else)

Yea, I meant to say not like most people, i.e. that we might be an exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back