Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Oct 27, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,036 of 1,193
Probably I can't get over BA cleanness of IM04. I will burn LTD's.
Still they are second best dynamic driver IEM I have heard. I would rate them 9.5. IM04 is 10 and IM02 is 9.7. I briefly listened CKR9 year ago, and they sounded identical to CK100Pro amd score was 9.9.
Few years ago I bought CKS77 from Ali and they were identical to Japan import CKS77.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,037 of 1,193
Probably I can't get over BA cleanness of IM04. I will burn LTD's.
Still they are second best dynamic driver IEM I have heard. I would rate them 9.5. IM04 is 10 and IM02 is 9.7. I briefly listened CKR9 year ago, and they sounded identical to CK100Pro amd score was 9.9.
Few years ago I bought CKS77 from Ali and they were identical to Japan import CKS77.

I disagree with the sound of CKR9 is the same as CK100PRO. CK100pro have much brighter high. Btw, China makes the best copy ya know?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #1,040 of 1,193

Based on a lot of what I've read I'm certain the ali ones are like 70% fakes. No way the CKR series should sound as bad some say.

FWIW, I like the CKR9 better than the IM02, but I've never heard the LTD. 

How do you analyse your percentage estimate of the fakes 70/100, or genuines 30/100 please inform us

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #1,042 of 1,193
99% of LTD's are not legit. I'm looking for them in May 2015:
ebay - 1 pcs for 400 GBP
amazon - 1pcs for 299 USD (used)
aliexpress - nothing
taobao - ~10 pcs for 280-380 USD (i hope legit) and tons of LTD's, 9 and 10 for 50-80 USD.
(I bought one from taobao but they appears to be defective)
Then they came to aliexpress.

Look for amazon now - 70+ offers, ebay too.
And it was limited edition of 2000pcs.

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #1,043 of 1,193
I am going to offer a perspective on counterfeit CKR10s.  I purchased multiple pairs and there were differences in the packaging and dimensions.  There were also differences in the sound. 

Packaging: the packaging came in two forms.  This could simply be a change on the part of AT but when I emailed them to ask they stated they do not give out those details, I guess it would make the job of a counterfeiter easier.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, the only true way is to send the equipment to AT to have an engineer test them.  I did not do that so this will have to taken for what it is, my guestimation and opinion. 

The first package did not have any plastic wrap around it, there was a plastic film protecting the polished metal of the phones and the 3.5mm plug had a protective plastic cylinder.  The instructions and environmental information pages in a plastic sleeve.  

The second package was wrapped in plastic, there was no protective film on the outer metal and no plastic protector on the headphone jack.  The instructions came in a plastic sleeve but no environmental information page.  

The cables above the Y split on the first pair were separate, on the second pair they were still slightly joined and had to be peeled apart.

The physical dimensions of the two differed in a few ways.  The overall length of the pair I am certain are legit is 50.5" from top of the shells to end of the plug.  The second pair was 47.5".  The Y split on the known legit pair was 1.25" farther down from the IEMs, closer to the plug.  The plug itself on the pair suspected to be counterfeit was not quite 90 degrees, it was slightly acute toward the cable and it was not quite straight out of the top of the DAP.  The shells looked exactly the same as did all the symbols, strain reliefs, etc. 

The sound was much better on the first pair.  The other pair did not have the detail, clarity, etc. and had pronounced driver flex on one side.  The first pair of CKR10s I got had none that I noticed.  

This is my first set of AT headphones or IEMs so my experience with them or other mid to higher end manufacturers is too limited for me to know how typical or atypical these variations are.  The difference in sound along with the differences in packaging and physical characteristics leads me to conclude that that second set I got were fakes.  I made this post in the hope it would help someone who may have doubts regarding a set they purchased.  I'm open to criticism or explaining something further if something expressed is unclear.  The second pair was returned to the amazon vendor. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #1,044 of 1,193
So how good is the "good" pair?

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #1,045 of 1,193
  So how good is the "good" pair?

Very good, warm but great detail, forward mids, great vocals.  I chose them over the CKR9 because of my preference of signature and liked them better in a side-by-side with the Trinity Delta.  I mention it in an earlier thread but ran into the issues ordering a second pair as a gift. I've seen the question about authenticity come up and hoped to offer some food for thought. AT offers to help by testing the product in question but I did not want to spend the time doing that. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,046 of 1,193
look at these OEM/ODM HR900 
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Do-For-OEM-ODM-HR900-Double-moving-coil-Headset-bass-HIFI-Headset-music-mobile/32364820052.html
im assuming they are rebranded ckr9ltd

I am going to offer a perspective on counterfeit CKR10s.  I purchased multiple pairs and there were differences in the packaging and dimensions.  There were also differences in the sound. 

The sound was much better on the first pair.  The other pair did not have the detail, clarity, etc. and had pronounced driver flex on one side.  The first pair of CKR10s I got had none that I noticed.  

This is my first set of AT headphones or IEMs so my experience with them or other mid to higher end manufacturers is too limited for me to know how typical or atypical these variations are.  The difference in sound along with the differences in packaging and physical characteristics leads me to conclude that that second set I got were fakes.  I made this post in the hope it would help someone who may have doubts regarding a set they purchased.  I'm open to criticism or explaining something further if something expressed is unclear.  The second pair was returned to the amazon vendor. 

I am very nervous about this... could it be that the "counterfeits" just needed burn in? I did get the ckr10 from aliexpress, one driver sounded great, much like a warmer ckr9. The left driver was muffled and not as loud. I want to say they are just defective stock and no fakes exist. Once i get refunded i may give aliexpress another shot.

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,047 of 1,193
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Do-For-OEM-ODM-HR900-Double-moving-coil-Headset-bass-HIFI-Headset-music-mobile/32364820052.html

I am very nervous about this... could it be that the "counterfeits" just needed burn in? I did get the ckr10 from aliexpress, one driver sounded great, much like a warmer ckr9. The left driver was muffled and not as loud. I want to say they are just defective stock and no fakes exist. Once i get refunded i may give aliexpress another shot.

I love how it says they have 1,000 available. . . .   

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #1,048 of 1,193

Yes, it could be that the pair I returned had some factory defect or was a refurbished pair.  I was careful to not declare them to be fake for certain.  Some aspects were exactly the same, such as the design of the box and the earpieces.  The sound was just different - weak, not full or as detailed like the first pair.  If the right side was indeed defective this would color my perception as I really need two good phones and a decent seal on each side to really get a good listen. The right side was so sensitive to flex I could hear it with the beat of the music. Between the sound and differences in the cable and plug I was leaning toward the conclusion they were not legit - or a refurbished pair but a manufacturer with any QC would not have let them go out like that.  

This might not mean anything but comparing the boxes side by side showed that the font size was slightly different and the box on the first pair I ordered was very slightly larger.  

And sorry for any heartburn my comments may have caused!  I was just trying to help :)  A reason I purchased from amazon was that I figured I would avoid getting a knockoff pair.  I'm still unsure whether I did or not. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,050 of 1,193
I had t20's and did not like them at all. They sounded muffled compared to even their smaller brother rha 750. Bass did not wow me eithet, even with all the diffetrent filters. Audiotechnica ckr 9 are the best phones I ever had, including ckr10, which I returned after 1 week, and jvc 850 (woodies), which I still have, but probably not for long. I come back to clarity and dynamics of ckr9's after trying those higher priced and rated phones every time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back