Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Feb 12, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #751 of 1,193
Archy121, time to order!!

Thats it -It's going to happen at the end of the month !
Looks like you found real good one as Fishers are regarded pretty awesome. I also considered them a while back but had already bought too many iem's at the time.

If you get the chance can you please give your impressions on the 3D stereo & separation quality of the CKR vs Fisher. We know the bass is awesome.

It would be great if you can try comparing with the Trance tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMRRRJcw2xM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip0eta0tSrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O6mMJ0dJwU

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #753 of 1,193
Just bought a pair of the CKR10's on Amazon.co.jp for $230! So stoked to hear these babies.

Wow, first post and an excellent purchase decision. I have not heard these particular ones although they have slightly more body compared to the 9's/LTD as stated by others.  Remember to burn in for 8-10 hours before FIRST listen.
Give them a fair listen as all the goodness sneaks up at you.

As a side note, received my Spinfits today finally, so will have to re-listen.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #754 of 1,193
Just tried the Spinfits and what a disaster. Cannot get a decent fit no matter what I do, complete waste off money. It's these damn Vulcan ears of mine. I need the sound tube to be longer as I have deep canals. My best so far are the bi-flanges which seal sometimes and sometimes not.
mad.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #755 of 1,193
  I'm going to Japan in a couple of months and I still don't know which to choose between CKR9, CKR9LTD and CKR10... I need something like the Yamaha EPH-100 bass-wise (I'm not a basshead but I like my bass to be full).

I guess I'll just have to try them in store when I'm there. Or can someone provide a comparison between the 3?

I've been reading the whole thread and it looks like you've been stuck on this decision for a while now! Hopefully you are able to finally make the final decision!! Best of luck to you! I just order the CKR10 myself.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #756 of 1,193

I've been reading the whole thread and it looks like you've been stuck on this decision for a while now! Hopefully you are able to finally make the final decision!! Best of luck to you! I just order the CKR10 myself.

Yeahhh, I've been pondering if I should change my EPH-100 for a while now. I like them but I'm more of an Audio Technica kind of guy.

Thanks, I think the best will be to try them in person to see if I like them! They're usually always available in Japan in stores (you can even use your own audio source so I usually plug them to my Cowon J3!)

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #758 of 1,193

Yeahhh, I've been pondering if I should change my EPH-100 for a while now. I like them but I'm more of an Audio Technica kind of guy.

Despite the CKR9 and 10's weighty bass and spacious presentation, I feel that the sound at its core still carry many of ATH's traditional house sound traits for their smaller drivered earphones/headphones/IEMs. So if you like that sort of thing you'd enjoy the CKR10s for you!

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #759 of 1,193

Thanks, I think the best will be to try them in person to see if I like them! They're usually always available in Japan in stores (you can even use your own audio source so I usually plug them to my Cowon J3!)

Yeah I was deciding between the CKR10's and 9 and I ended up getting the 10's because I'm interested on how there supposed to be a new departure from the traditional Audio-Technica sound signature being warmer and fuller with a stronger hitting bass. I listen to a lot of EDM, Hip-Hop, R&B, and songs with great female vocals so it just seemed the CKR10 were the way to go for my musical preferences. I feel like the EPH-100 are more comparable to the CKR10 because they also have a warm signature? Correct me if I'm wrong. But yeah, good luck on your decision! It's so cool how you're actually going there to test them in Japan! Been wanting to go for a while now!

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #760 of 1,193

Yeah I was deciding between the CKR10's and 9 and I ended up getting the 10's because I'm interested on how there supposed to be a new departure from the traditional Audio-Technica sound signature being warmer and fuller with a stronger hitting bass. I listen to a lot of EDM, Hip-Hop, R&B, and songs with great female vocals so it just seemed the CKR10 were the way to go for my musical preferences. I feel like the EPH-100 are more comparable to the CKR10 because they also have a warm signature? Correct me if I'm wrong. But yeah, good luck on your decision! It's so cool how you're actually going there to test them in Japan! Been wanting to go for a while now!

I do believe the EPH-100 are on the warm side. I'm no expert though.

If the CKR10s sound like you're describing them ("warmer and fuller with a stronger hitting bass"), I think I'm gonna love them! To be continued in April then... (I'm leaving on April 5th)

Thanks. Japan is an amazing country (I also love the US fyi) and so different from Europe or North America. You should totally go someday!

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #761 of 1,193
  Just tried the Spinfits and what a disaster. Cannot get a decent fit no matter what I do, complete waste off money. It's these damn Vulcan ears of mine. I need the sound tube to be longer as I have deep canals. My best so far are the bi-flanges which seal sometimes and sometimes not.
mad.gif

Damn, I`m sorry to hear this.  Besides your deep Vulcan canals, a problem might be that you`ve pushed the spinfits too far on the nozzle.  It is relatively easy to do this.  Only the inner red tube should be gripping the end of the nozzle; the remaining clear silicon half of the sound tube needs to be hanging off the end of the nozzle. It is this section whice can rotate around the nozzle axis because there is flexible joint in there.  I noticed with several of my IEMs that over time the Spinfit get pushed too far on the nozzle, the flexible joint gets blocked and it ends up essentially like any other silicon tip.  The spacers on the Dunu DN2K are perfect for preventing this - holding the spinfit out on the end of the nozzle.  

d

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #764 of 1,193
I do believe the EPH-100 are on the warm side. I'm no expert though.

If the CKR10s sound like you're describing them ("warmer and fuller with a stronger hitting bass"), I think I'm gonna love them! To be continued in April then... (I'm leaving on April 5th)

Thanks. Japan is an amazing country (I also love the US fyi) and so different from Europe or North America. You should totally go someday!

Yeah I'm pretty much stuck in LA cause of college and whatnot. I'll definitely go when I get the time and money!

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #765 of 1,193

Damn, I`m sorry to hear this.  Besides your deep Vulcan canals, a problem might be that you`ve pushed the spinfits too far on the nozzle.  It is relatively easy to do this.  Only the inner red tube should be gripping the end of the nozzle; the remaining clear silicon half of the sound tube needs to be hanging off the end of the nozzle. It is this section whice can rotate around the nozzle axis because there is flexible joint in there.  I noticed with several of my IEMs that over time the Spinfit get pushed too far on the nozzle, the flexible joint gets blocked and it ends up essentially like any other silicon tip.  The spacers on the Dunu DN2K are perfect for preventing this - holding the spinfit out on the end of the nozzle.  

d

If you look on the tube end of the CK9's there is a round circular bit of plastic which is there to stop further insertion of any tip. I stop there because you have too otherwise pulling back would result in the tip potentially falling off. The end or head of the tip freely moves around so I know I haven't gone too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back