Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
May 29, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #31 of 1,190
thanks for the detailed info earfonia!!
smily_headphones1.gif

ericp10, im just waiting for where you would rank the CKR9 in your dynamics sig... patiently waiting lol

That's going to take awhile, kameenadesi (probably after 100 hours of burn-in), but I'll let you know as soon as I know. Happy listening.

P.S. The FX850 is still my favorite dynamic universal thus far. 

May 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #32 of 1,190
A friend of mine has a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-CKR9's, and I had the chance to use them for a good two weeks. I find that there's too much mid-bass, and it's a little sparkly. Again, it might be that the IEM's don't suit the music I've listened to, or that I had the volume too low or too high. I just find them to be too mid-bassy and sparkly. This was based upon comparison to my MEElec. A151's.

May 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #33 of 1,190
While i wait for ortofon E-q8 to arrive my mind once again craves for ckr10.

thanks for the review, i think i like a more intimate sound as i feel more closure to the arts. After testing sine really great airy and spacious gears i found myself bored and non engaged. Maybe after years of owning gears that all sounded in 'in my head' it will take time for me to appreciate open soundstages.

anyone had the chance yo compare these against the kuro?

May 29, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #34 of 1,190
Great review! I've been super interested in these myself :D When I heard the CKR10 I thought it was pretty darn smooth, but that kind of thing is generally up my alley.

May 30, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #36 of 1,190
Too bad they are not going to make it here, sadly AT thinks such tuning isn't for the Australian market.

I don't think it is the tuning, it's the issue that the sales for the high end products in Australia may not be consistent enough for them to place an order. There are things in the works for the future however.

May 30, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #37 of 1,190
  Great review! I've been super interested in these myself :D When I heard the CKR10 I thought it was pretty darn smooth, but that kind of thing is generally up my alley.

Nah, you'll be fine with your outdated sony-xba-h3s. 
wink.gif

jk, those are awesome earphones for the price!

I hope you'll be able to listen to it one day, that bass is amazing, along with the beautiful mids, which seems to be missed out with some impressions. :frowning2:

at least on my impressions, I believe.

I must say that I'm liking the CKR9 straight out of the box, so I can't wait to hear what it reveals through burn-in. Very nice sound, and vlenbo is spot-on about that bass!!! 
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Prepare for the burn-in! They'll seriously amaze you, I highly doubt you'll end up disliking the results. 

If the mids get me fatigued after listening, it's the bass that induces me to stay.

If the bass gets me bored after a while, then its the mid thickness and smoothness that will tempt me to continue listening, but

the most amazing part is the sound presentation of Depth....and width with a GREAT sense of height due to the depth. :)

Seriously can't wait to hear your tenore take with a good burn-in!

May 30, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #38 of 1,190

I must say that I'm liking the CKR9 straight out of the box, so I can't wait to hear what it reveals through burn-in. Very nice sound, and vlenbo is spot-on about that bass!!! 
beerchug.gif

I have both FX850 and the Tenore at home now... both are excellent sounding IEM regardless of their price tag!
Those who like FX850 sound signature, most probably will love the Tenore as well. The Tenore is super small and light, very comfortable.  When doing any physical exercise, jogging or fitness, the Tenore is much preferable than the FX850. So they make good companion. The Tenore sounds cleaner, doesn't really have the smoothness and warmness of FX850, but also better perceived detail.  Both are lovely IEMs!

May 30, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #39 of 1,190
Awesome review man, probably should get out of here before I spend all my money but you make them sound so good D: Guess I'll have to wait till the end of the year when I go back to Taiwan because there's no way I'm going to be able to get either of them here in NZ :frowning2:

May 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #42 of 1,190
confused.gif

Not sure to try the CKR9 or CKR10. Decisions decisions....

May 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #43 of 1,190
  Guys, any chance for a bass comparison with the ATH CKM-99 or the Yamaha EPH-100? Thanks!

Haven't tried CKM99, but tried CKM1000. CKM1000 doesn't come with optimum ear tips.  CKM1000 with stock ear tips sounds natural bright, although tonality is quite linear and smooth, but towards the bright signature.  I prefer to use CKM1000 with small bore triple flanges tips, sounds much more balance to my ears (as shown in a picture in page 1).  CKR9 with stock tips sounds more natural compared to CKM1000, with much better bass.  With Spiral Dot tips, CKR9 sounds even better.

I have EPH-100, mids EPH-100 sounds nicer to me, but just personal preference, since CKR9 mids sounds a bit forward.
EPH-100 is more colored towards dark smooth signature, while CKR9 is more natural sounding.  Bass, again CKR9 bass quality is way above EPH-100 bass quality.  EPH-100 bass doesn't show micro texture and detail, and effortless dynamic as CKR9 bass.  Overall, I prefer CKR9 over my EPH-100.

would you mind sharing some thoughts comparing these Ath-ckr9 and the JVC fx850?

They are not really comparable in the sense that they are both excellent in their own way.  I think I mentioned somewhere, CKR9 has a more balance, more natural tonality compared to the warm, bassy, and slightly dark FX850.  FX850 bass is bigger, also good quality, but I like CKR9 bass better, that to me sounds more natural and realistic.  Vocal, FX850 sounds nicer, actually much nicer than CKR9 forward vocal. But that's just personal preference.  Treble, FX850 doesn't have enough transparency and extension for classical, but just nice for vibrant modern genres recording, such as Stockfisch records.  If you like vocal, I recommend FX850.  If you like percussion, detailed and well textured bass, CKR9 is the best.

May 31, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #44 of 1,190

They are not really comparable in the sense that they are both excellent in their own way.  I think I mentioned somewhere, CKR9 has a more balance, more natural tonality compared to the warm, bassy, and slightly dark FX850.  FX850 bass is bigger, also good quality, but I like CKR9 bass better, that to me sounds more natural and realistic.  Vocal, FX850 sounds nicer, actually much nicer than CKR9 forward vocal. But that's just personal preference.  Treble, FX850 doesn't have enough transparency and extension for classical, but just nice for vibrant modern genres recording, such as Stockfisch records.  If you like vocal, I recommend FX850.  If you like percussion, detailed and well textured bass, CKR9 is the best.

Just out of curiosity, what makes the fx850 better than the ckr9 vocals? Is it because it's warmer, less forward in mids, more detailed, or just better timbre? I have no doubt that the timbre should be nearly perfect on the fx850, but i"m confused on the rest.

May 31, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #45 of 1,190
  Just out of curiosity, what makes the fx850 better than the ckr9 vocals? Is it because it's warmer, less forward in mids, more detailed, or just better timbre? I have no doubt that the timbre should be nearly perfect on the fx850, but i"m confused on the rest.

As I said, it is more of my personal preference. The CKR9 focal is just a bit too forward for my taste, but overall nothing wrong with the mids.  CKR9 mids have very good detail.  FX850 vocal, to me is nicer, less forward, but still intimate in the nice way. Also FX850 vocal has more body on the lower mids part, so sounds fuller. Both have nearly perfect timbre.  Detail wise, I think CKR9 has better perceived detail than FX850.  So, it boils down to personal preference, not about which one excels the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back