Review of ACS Custom Sleeves for the Westone 2s
Jul 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ZimmerX

Member of the Trade: Frogbeats
So I recently purchased the ACS Custom Fit Earphone Sleeves for my Westone 2s.

As ACS had never done them for the Westone 2s before, I had to send in my earphones along with my impressions to get them specifically done for the Westone 2s.

They came a couple of days ago, and I thought I'd put up a small review of what I think they're like.

Sources used:
Cambridge Audio DACMagic -> Cambridge Audio Azur 550A Amp -> Westone 2s
Zune HD -> Westone 2s

I was planning on getting an amp for the Westone 2s, but they're not high end enough to warrant a large expense on a good portable amp for them. 

Basically, my ears ain't the biggest and normal silicon tips have never worked for me. I prefer over-ear because I feel it's a more secure fit, and the likelyhood of them falling out is pretty much zero. I owned Etymotic ER6i and even with them they could pop out. My ears are just stupidly problematic (No, I do not look deformed, just putting that out there :wink: ).

So, here are a couple of pictures of them on and off the earphones, and the packaging:

Packaging and Contents

The ACS Sleeves came in a box with a little tag saying "Custom made for XXXX" which I thought was pretty nice. The sleeves were inside the leather pouch, and the Comfort Cream and the Wax Pick were outside it. Simple packaging, really doesn't make a different to me how they came, as long as they worked (which we will get on to later one)

Build quality

So I had a feel of the silicon tips... and I must say, they felt lovely. Not too soft (like the Westone dark grey tips) and not too hard (like the white tips for the Westone) and they felt pretty nice. The left sleeve has a blue ACS icon to indicate it's for the left ear and the right has a red one. I customised them and asked for the left to be black and the right to be white... Just for fun. If I'm going to pay £100, I might as well have exactly what I want.
I gotta be honest, I felt that they were a bit on the small side. They didn't look like they would go very deep, but then again, that would be the impressions fault (which I will get on to) and therefore not ACS's fault.
The leather pouch is actually a lovely touch - I can put my earphones in there when carrying them around and it's small and lean enough to just slip into my pocket.

Comfort and isolation

This is where I am going to be very nitpicky about these:
Once inserted, which actually took a while because of my ears, they felt secure... but not extremely comfortable. Granted, it was the first time I'd put them in, but the right ear didn't feel like it was a "flush" fit. I was kinda pissed at this, but I'm going to put this down to the impressions and brush it aside as I can't do much now. 

I feel that the isolation is just slightly better than the Comply Tips that came with the Westones (the P series, not the small ones). I was honestly expecting better isolation, but I'll (again) put that down to the impressions. 

After prolonged use, I could barely feel them (note barely, I still could, but they didn't bother me). 

Ease of insertion in comparison with the Comply Tips is about the same. With the Comply tips you have to roll them so they can expand in your ear, and with the ACS Custom Sleeves you need to move them around a bit until they fit totally into your ear - naturally this is the case, as our ear canals aren't totally straight (well mine aren't anyway).

I'd say I give comfort and isolation a 7/10. They're comfortable, but not the epitome of comfort, and isolation isn't perfect. Still, better than my comply tips.

Sound quality

This is where the ACS shine. I could instantly notice there was something brighter about my W2s. On both my AMP and through the Zune, the difference was noticeable. Now, £100-worth-noticeable? I'm not sure about that, but there was certainly a difference.
  1. Bass was punchier. I could "feel" it in my head. Definitely a deeper sounding bass and with a bit more texture. Silicon tips will always have a better bass sound if you have a flush seal due to the reverberations coming back through your ears - With Comply tips some of the vibrations are lost through the foam, whilst I'd say the silicon tips retain it much better. Songs like Teardrop - Massive Attack and the **** Buttons album was used to test this. Flight Of The Feathered Serpent sounded wonderful with the ACS tips on.
  2. Treble was definitely more prominent. Songs like Float On by Modest Mouse just sounded a lot brighter with the ACS tips on in comparison with the P-Series Comply tips.
Overall, I give the sound quality an 8.5/10. Not quite a full 9 or 10 due to the sound improvement in comparison with the cost. It's marginal for what you pay for.

General thoughts

I think that I may have had some poor impressions taken, which is why you should take this review with a pinch of salt. I can't go back on the impressions now, and I certainly wont shell out another £100 in case the impressions were done correctly. I feel that they could have gone deeper into my ears, and the seal on my right ear is too tight, whilst the left ear is slightly loose. It doesn't bother me once I'm into the 4th track or something, but it most certainly is noticeable. The fact remains, that I probably wont find the perfect earphones or fit unless I go completely custom. I'd love to try the SM3s and that, but I know that the casing of them alone wouldn't fit in my outer ear. I thought this could help with the fit and the comfort, and they most certainly did - don't get me wrong, I don't regret paying £100 for them... I just wouldn't do it again in a rush.
I certainly feel that with other earphones - specifically the Etymotic range, the Klipsch X5s and X10s and the Audio Technikas... but the rest it's definitely hit or miss. Most people get flush seals with normal silicon tips anyway, but if you don't... I do recommend you look into this, as you could be a much happier person if you had a nice silicon seal, instead of a foam one.

Overall rating - 7/10. I feel that if the impressions had been better (I'll avoid David Ormerod centres next time) then they could have gotten a 9 or 10 out of 10 for these sleeves... but what I currently have isn't disappointing, but it most certainly isn't an incredible improvement or the best investment I've made.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 9
An update after a good week and a bit of use...

I actually have stopped using them

It's sad, but true. I actually found a build quality problem with them (a pretty big one at that):

The right sleeve's canal was entirely blocked. They had forgotten to bore the hole all the way through, so I was constantly getting a muffled and terrible sound out of my right ear. I managed to pierce through the left over silicon, but the block is still there (I have no way to cut it out, just to make a piercing) and it's causing tremendous problems.

Added to that, the sleeves themselves are actually more uncomfortable for my ears than anything else...Why? Because the guys at ACS I think forgot to take into account the overall size of my ears and the size of the Westone 2 encasing, and when the sleeves are on the W2s, the uppermost part of the W2 casing digs into the top part of my outer ear. I cannot wear them after a couple of hours.

I emailed ACS about this, expecting a reply (at least an acknowledgement of their failure and an apology) but after a week, I have received nothing from them. Not a screw** peep.

Overall, I'm truly disappointed with both their standards in quality and their communication. I can't even rate these any more. Poor show from ACS, if I must be honest. Especially when they cost £90.

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 9
I have ACS customs myself and am very happy with them, but that's a separate issue.

Question: wouldn't you have noticed the build issue problem before hand cos' in your first post you said that the sound quality had improved and only after a week you realised the sound quality went backwards? I'm a bit lost on that point.

Anyhow, with regards to fitting, any impression you take has to be taken to the second bend of your ear, that is how you give sufficient space so that the earphone doesn't dig into your ear. If your impressionist didn't do that, that is likely the source of the problem and you should take it up with them (this has nothing to do with ACS). It's probably a combination of that and the fact that it's ACS' first time doing it, but I don't see the blame being wholly on their part as you yourself acknowledged. Their customer service as a consensus from what I've read, is pretty decent, my personal experience was good. So hopefully they come good with this.

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
You may have better luck than I have had, but I personally wouldn't risk it. I'm going to buy Customs, and they aren't going to be from ACS. 

Call them or email again. They are a good reputable company and will do their utmost to resolve your issues, don't write off the expense.

The default position for wearing is for the cables to go over the ear, did you specifiy how you would wear them? If you are wearing them cable down and they are built for over the ear it would cause a bad fit - sorry for stating the obvious but it's worth checking.

I don't think they actually bore out the tube, more likely the mould is done around a jig leaving the bore. Strange they sounded OK at first if the bore was blocked.

With customs all the companies have problems with fit now and again, the real test of a good company is how they resolve your problems. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Sorry guys, I'll clarify:

@ cravenz : I did notice the problem at first - when I said the fit on the right ear wasn't "flush" it was because I was getting an entirely "blocked ear" feeling, instead of a normal fit. This, I assume, is because there was no air being allowed to flow into the ear because the canal wasn't opened on the right ear. Literally no air passed through it if I blew into it because it was so badly blocked with extra silicon. 

After a bit of fiddling on the insertion, I established that the fit on both ears was more than adequate. The feeling I was getting was as if my ear was blocked, which shouldn't be what I feel as the sleeves should be open to air and sound coming through (as is the left one, but not the right) and therefore I put that on the fit... but I was wrong. 

Honestly, I couldn't tell you how the guy did the impressions - he looked like he knew what he was doing. Problem is I didn't open and close my mouth during the operation, which may have been a factor. From what I've heard, David Ormerod hearing centres aren't the best, and it's best to go to a small private one to get it done.

@ StevieDvd : I will email them again and hopefully they'll answer this time. The fact is, I don't have time to tread around this matter and hope that after several tries they work. I need earphones that fit me comfortably and these are certainly not doing their job. I hate Comply tips, but they are the only ones I can actually use right now due to silicon tips not fitting properly.

Haha, of course I'm wearing them over ear. You can't wear the Westone 2s any other way, it's basically impossible to wear them straight down. 

I agree, and maybe they'll be able to fix this problem with little hassle. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Sorry guys, I'll clarify:

@ cravenz : I did notice the problem at first - when I said the fit on the right ear wasn't "flush" it was because I was getting an entirely "blocked ear" feeling, instead of a normal fit. This, I assume, is because there was no air being allowed to flow into the ear because the canal wasn't opened on the right ear. Literally no air passed through it if I blew into it because it was so badly blocked with extra silicon. 

After a bit of fiddling on the insertion, I established that the fit on both ears was more than adequate. The feeling I was getting was as if my ear was blocked, which shouldn't be what I feel as the sleeves should be open to air and sound coming through (as is the left one, but not the right) and therefore I put that on the fit... but I was wrong. 

Honestly, I couldn't tell you how the guy did the impressions - he looked like he knew what he was doing. Problem is I didn't open and close my mouth during the operation, which may have been a factor. From what I've heard, David Ormerod hearing centres aren't the best, and it's best to go to a small private one to get it done.

@ StevieDvd : I will email them again and hopefully they'll answer this time. The fact is, I don't have time to tread around this matter and hope that after several tries they work. I need earphones that fit me comfortably and these are certainly not doing their job. I hate Comply tips, but they are the only ones I can actually use right now due to silicon tips not fitting properly.

Haha, of course I'm wearing them over ear. You can't wear the Westone 2s any other way, it's basically impossible to wear them straight down. 

I agree, and maybe they'll be able to fix this problem with little hassle. 

it'd be very careless of them to have created something without letting air through the passage of the tip. Speak to them asap and hopefully it will get sorted. But if they do another for you, I recommend going to another audiologist, and no, it doesn't matter that you open and close, in fact, mouth movement during the impression is worse lol. They are a good company so I wouldn't knock 'em down for this. Customs from most companies can sometimes require refits from what I've read over the boards.

Hope it works out for you.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 9
hi i received mine today i payd 140 pounds wich is wasted . one paire 90 for shure 535 another for noise to sleep 50

iam watching tv and put the sleep sleeve crap i rather put the 10 pence ones . i was driving this morning i tryed my shure 535 crap i rather put back the foam supplied . better sound isolation . i waited 1 month for them to be disapointed . i will phone tomorrow . at the first you thinking i got the best shure 535 for more 300 pound with 90 custom sleeve will be impressive but sorry not happy . i had the impression in banbury . bank of work drive for mk to there and come back . still i waited 4 weeks . please dont waste your money like i did . and iam 42 years . wich normally your ears are not as good as 20 still hear the noise . really may just liittle differance better the 10 pence foam 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back