[Review] NVX XPT100, A direct Brainwavz HM5 competitor
Aug 3, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #32 of 161
I've had these for about 2 weeks now, and I love 'em!  I don't think you can go wrong for $100.  It's everything I was looking for as an upgrade to my 8323s: way more soundstage, cleaner bass (certainly not bass heavy in any way like the 8323s, but there is none of the distortion that I could hear with really low tones with the 8323s; it's just plain sharper when it comes to bass, and it feels closer to the intended original mix), better comfort, while still having a detachable cable and full-size form factor.  I was hoping these would be the last headphones I would need to buy for a long time (because I'm really not in a financial position to buy more than a single $100 pair of headphones right now), and they are.  The carrying case, extra set of pads, and two cables make it a steal.

They still leave me wanting just a bit more, so someday I will be getting into another price bracket :-D.  I wouldn't mind regaining some of the bass impact that I had with the 8323s, and I do hear a bit of distortion (subtle crackling) rarely with some higher tones.  But for the price, I think these deliver the kind of sound I want in the best possible way.  From what I've been reading, I think the Mad Dogs might be my next upgrade, but I digress...
----
I wanted to post in this thread mainly to confess something that may be super obvious to everyone else: the proper orientation of the angled pads.  When I first tried them, I was thinking how my ears are angled, and so I ended up wearing them as almost an on-ear with the thick part in front of my ears.  I actually found this to be pretty comfortable, but isolation was lacking when I tried it on a long car trip with family.  For that trip, I ended up switching back to the flat pads because they offered much better isolation as they went completely over and around my ears.

I was then reading a review about the newest variation of the Mad Dogs with the angled pads, and I realized that, as far as I could tell, those have the thicker part /behind/ the ears.  /Light bulb./  As soon as I got home that night, I swapped the pads again and put the angled pads on like that: wonderful!  I now wear them around/over my ears like the flat pads, but then there's the nice extra padding behind the ears to help keep the drivers out and forward.  I haven't done any direct comparisons for sound or comfort with the flat pads yet, but I think I'm going to be keeping the angled pads on for a while to see how it goes.  I have a long plane trip this next week where I'll be wearing them extensively.
-----
So if you're wondering if they're worth it as your first (or 5th, or 100th) $100 pair of headphones and you aren't a die-hard basshead, these are great.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #33 of 161
I usually hate posting more than once in a row, but this is way more than an edit of my last post and I figure this thread can use a bump.  Here goes...

I went on a trip to Mississippi (I live in Wisconsin): flew down Monday, flew back Wednesday.  Three flights each way.  Few hours in airports.  I decided to bring the XPT100s with just the angled pads.  For the first part of Monday, I wore them with the thicker sides of the pads behind my ears.  It did work fairly well, but isolation wasn't the greatest.  Particularly, I felt like it was a bit opened at the front of my ears.  Part of it was my glasses, but I still felt a lack of seal when I took my glasses off.  So for the rest of the day, I flipped the pads and wore them like on-ears with the thick sides in front of my ears.  Much better seal, so the isolation was a lot better.  For comfort, both ways had some issues: first way, there was a pressure on the backs of my ears I didn't love; second way, it was on-ear which I've come to like less than I used to.  My ears stopped up toward the end of my flights on Monday, so I didn't feel like listening to music anymore during my trip :p.

So now, durability.  I put the headphones into my carry-on bag after my ears stopped up, and there they sat for my last flight on Monday and all three flights on Wednesday.  I didn't bring the case, and I only had a little bit of clothing for padding.  When I arrived in MS on Monday, I opened my case to find one of the earpieces popped out of the yoke (or whatever you want to call it).  They really throw your bag around when they have to stow it on those smaller planes.  Y'know what?  No cosmetic damage, no cracks, and I popped it right back in place without any issue (I've popped the earpieces out to see how easy it was anyway, so I wasn't scared at the sight).  Needless to say, however, I did try to pad them a bit better when I packed for Wednesday's flights.  I'd hate for an earpiece to pop out and then have a yoke break from something pressing down on it, though I think it would take a lot of force.

So overall, they held up well, and it was nice to have them along.  But now I'm back home, and I've got the flat pads back on.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #34 of 161
Quote:
I've had these for about 2 weeks now, and I love 'em!  I don't think you can go wrong for $100.  It's everything I was looking for as an upgrade to my 8323s: way more soundstage, cleaner bass (certainly not bass heavy in any way like the 8323s, but there is none of the distortion that I could hear with really low tones with the 8323s; it's just plain sharper when it comes to bass, and it feels closer to the intended original mix), better comfort, while still having a detachable cable and full-size form factor.  I was hoping these would be the last headphones I would need to buy for a long time (because I'm really not in a financial position to buy more than a single $100 pair of headphones right now), and they are.  The carrying case, extra set of pads, and two cables make it a steal.

They still leave me wanting just a bit more, so someday I will be getting into another price bracket :-D.  I wouldn't mind regaining some of the bass impact that I had with the 8323s, and I do hear a bit of distortion (subtle crackling) rarely with some higher tones.  But for the price, I think these deliver the kind of sound I want in the best possible way.  From what I've been reading, I think the Mad Dogs might be my next upgrade, but I digress...
----
I wanted to post in this thread mainly to confess something that may be super obvious to everyone else: the proper orientation of the angled pads.  When I first tried them, I was thinking how my ears are angled, and so I ended up wearing them as almost an on-ear with the thick part in front of my ears.  I actually found this to be pretty comfortable, but isolation was lacking when I tried it on a long car trip with family.  For that trip, I ended up switching back to the flat pads because they offered much better isolation as they went completely over and around my ears.

I was then reading a review about the newest variation of the Mad Dogs with the angled pads, and I realized that, as far as I could tell, those have the thicker part /behind/ the ears.  /Light bulb./  As soon as I got home that night, I swapped the pads again and put the angled pads on like that: wonderful!  I now wear them around/over my ears like the flat pads, but then there's the nice extra padding behind the ears to help keep the drivers out and forward.  I haven't done any direct comparisons for sound or comfort with the flat pads yet, but I think I'm going to be keeping the angled pads on for a while to see how it goes.  I have a long plane trip this next week where I'll be wearing them extensively.
-----
So if you're wondering if they're worth it as your first (or 5th, or 100th) $100 pair of headphones and you aren't a die-hard basshead, these are great.

If you like these, but want a touch more bass impact, I'd recommend the SoundMAGIC HP100s.  Cheaper than the Mad Dogs, and I prefer their sound signature to the Mad Dogs'.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #35 of 161

NVX XPT100 + EX10S Promo Package

Studio Over-Ear Headphones & Earbuds Combo Package!

$99.99

This is half-price

Discount code - NVXPEX50

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_72928_NVX-XPT100-EX10S-Promo-Package.html?utm_source=blackfriday13&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blackfriday13

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #37 of 161
Can anyone compare these to the Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR-1000s? I'm looking for headphones for watching movies. So--comfort, isolation (in noisy apartment), and soundstage are most important to me. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #39 of 161
I recently ordered a pair considering that it is great deal for $80 with all the accessories. It seems like the XPT100 loses out to the more popular HM5 and FA003 despite being essentially the same. Since there are something like five different brands of this headphone,I wonder who is the OEM.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #40 of 161
  I recently ordered a pair considering that it is great deal for $80 with all the accessories. It seems like the XPT100 loses out to the more popular HM5 and FA003 despite being essentially the same. Since there are something like five different brands of this headphone,I wonder who is the OEM.

The OEM is Yoga electronics I believe.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #41 of 161

In what way?  If you don't mind my asking...

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #42 of 161
I say that because NVX sells car stereo components and then has the one over the ear model and one iem model. I think NVX is late to game,so to speak,with a rebranded headphone. The XPT100 looks good but I don't see it having much of a purpose in NVX's product line.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #43 of 161
I say that because NVX sells car stereo components and then has the one over the ear model and one iem model. I think NVX is late to game,so to speak,with a rebranded headphone. The XPT100 looks good but I don't see it having much of a purpose in NVX's product line.

Oh, well I must say that's not exactly fair or objective...  That's perhaps an estimation one could make but I don't otherwise see any proof of that and the company otherwise seems trustworthy.  At least they seem to be doing things properly in any case...  I thought you actually compared the two and the XPT100 somehow sounded worse - at least that's how you made it sound.  Anyway, alright, I think I understand your comment now however.  I just took it for more than you probably intended.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #44 of 161

They are technically the same headphone as the HM5, but they have redesigned pads which offer better comfort in my experiences. Some people also prefer the angled pads provided. I tend to recommend the HM5 or the XPT100, whichever is cheaper. Rebrands or not, they are still great headphones and NVX has great customer service. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #45 of 161
I keep reading great things about the NVX XPT100/HM5/Jaycar/FA-003, so I ordered a pair for my teenage son yesterday. He owns HFI-580 but has complained about dialogue clarity. I thought these should be a good complement to his Ultrasones. For the Sonic Electronix $80 price tag, doesn't seem like these can be beat for a good pair of closed headphones with a neutral signature.

Only, my son lives in a different state with his mom during the school year. I won't get to hear them until June :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back