[Review] NVX XPT100, A direct Brainwavz HM5 competitor
Mar 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #62 of 161
  Thanks for the response. That's fine if they don't fold up. Do you know of a bag or case that these will fit in so I can carry them around?

They come with a case.  It's shown in one of the pictures in the review on the first page.  It's kind of big though and kind of looks like a children's lunchbox...  Nobody would think to steal that though :wink:  I also walk around with them in NYC.  I wouldn't say they have the best isolation though.  For that purpose, the Sennheiser HD 280/380 headphones would serve best.  They're also a better option without amplification, bass boost, and/or further modification.  

These are the ultimate headphones however imo, especially in this price range.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #63 of 161
  They come with a case.  It's shown in one of the pictures in the review on the first page.  It's kind of big though and kind of looks like a children's lunchbox...  Nobody would think to steal that though :wink:  I also walk around with them in NYC.  I wouldn't say they have the best isolation though.  For that purpose, the Sennheiser HD 280/380 headphones would serve best.  They're also a better option without amplification, bass boost, and/or further modification.  

These are the ultimate headphones however imo, especially in this price range.

Yea that thing is huge. You walk around with that thing??

I LOVE isolation on the 280 pros. But I hate the way they sound. I don't know what it is everybody likes em I don't. Amplification is no problem because I have my pa2v2.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #64 of 161
  Yea that thing is huge. You walk around with that thing??

I LOVE isolation on the 280 pros. But I hate the way they sound. I don't know what it is everybody likes em I don't. Amplification is no problem because I have my pa2v2.

Lol, yup.  But I cut holes in the foam and it's also where I carry a bunch of my other portable audio stuff including amps and a bunch of cables/adapters.

Just for clarification, I mentioned amplification for the XPT100's not because they need it, but because they represent the source very accurately and are very revealing of different amps.  Paired with a dedicated headphone DAC/amp, they just sound better than through any smartphone and most DAP's.  The Pa2v2 unfortunately doesn't have a bass boost though.  These headphones have a very natural roll-off on the bottom end and it reproduces bass better than any other where the roll-off is compensated for internally if you add some proper bass boost.  Just fyi.

Maybe you might consider investing in a FiiO E12/E11?

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #65 of 161
  Lol, yup.  But I cut holes in the foam and it's also where I carry a bunch of my other portable audio stuff including amps and a bunch of cables/adapters.

Just for clarification, I mentioned amplification for the XPT100's not because they need it, but because they represent the source very accurately and are very revealing of different amps.  Paired with a dedicated headphone DAC/amp, they just sound better than through any smartphone and most DAP's.  The Pa2v2 unfortunately doesn't have a bass boost though.  These headphones have a very natural roll-off on the bottom end and it reproduces bass better than any other where the roll-off is compensated for internally if you add some proper bass boost.  Just fyi.

Maybe you might consider investing in a FiiO E12/E11?

Ah I see.

But I JUST got my PA2v2 :frowning2: And I love the way it sounds. I gotta say this disappoints me. What to do?

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #66 of 161
  Ah I see.

But I JUST got my PA2v2 :frowning2: And I love the way it sounds. I gotta say this disappoints me. What to do?

Ah, well it's a good amp.  My friend was once deciding between it and the E11 and I told him that they're comparable in quality (perhaps not in build though), but it's worth it to get the E11 because it has bass boost.  IMO, if you're going to have a separate amplification device to pair with headphones, bass boost is very important.  It's a good amp though.  I'm not sure what to tell you at this point.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #67 of 161
  Ah, well it's a good amp.  My friend was once deciding between it and the E11 and I told him that they're comparable in quality (perhaps not in build though), but it's worth it to get the E11 because it has bass boost.  IMO, if you're going to have a separate amplification device to pair with headphones, bass boost is very important.  It's a good amp though.  I'm not sure what to tell you at this point.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll get the NVXs then see if the bass is enough if not I'll just sell the PA2v2 and get the e11.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #68 of 161
Thanks for the response. That's fine if they don't fold up. Do you know of a bag or case that these will fit in so I can carry them around?

The Brainwavz HM5 version of thid headphone comes with a more compact case. You could explore that option.

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #75 of 161
I almost bought the hm5, but glad I stayed with the xtp100 for less. Right out of the box they sound great. Listening to some Al Green, Same Cooke, and Marvin Gaye. Vocals sound soothing with a more intimate approach to the soundstage than I'm use to. It's a welcome surprise. Some of my poorer recorded music seems less bothersome, even pleasing to my ears. The bass boost on the E11 casts a warmer presentation over the entire spectrum, yet still remains cohesive somehow. Thanks to all previous impressions. These are my most impulsive and satisfying purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back