[Review] NVX XPT100, A direct Brainwavz HM5 competitor
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #46 of 161
I keep reading great things about the NVX XPT100/HM5/Jaycar/FA-003, so I ordered a pair for my teenage son yesterday. He owns HFI-580 but has complained about dialogue clarity. I thought these should be a good complement to his Ultrasones. For the Sonic Electronix $80 price tag, doesn't seem like these can be beat for a good pair of closed headphones with a neutral signature.

Only, my son lives in a different state with his mom during the school year. I won't get to hear them until June
frown.gif

You made the right choice!  However, you should really note that because of their neutrality and transparency, they're really revealing of the source.  A good amp really makes a difference in order to really reap the benefits of their (imo) perfect design.  They can of course be optimized with a few mods but as you said, certainly nothing competes even close at $80 for their true value.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #47 of 161
No doubt. They were repeatedly cited as good values with the HM5/FA-003 when selling from $120-$150, with tons of positive testimonials. With the additional pad options and flexible headband, the NVT are so obviously a steal at $80. Now I've heard people say (and ironically some complaints) that the SRH840s are a better neutral phone, but they also cost $200.

And we got amperage covered. He's got a Fire Phoenix DAC-02 with his computer, a Fred Fred 2004 CMOY for portable devices, and an old pre-HDMI Denon receiver hooked up with his Xbox--the benefits of dad being into audio equipment. :) I'm sure that will be fine since they are 100db sensitivity, 64 ohms.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #48 of 161
No doubt. They were repeatedly cited as good values with the HM5/FA-003 when selling from $120-$150, with tons of positive testimonials. With the additional pad options and flexible headband, the NVT are so obviously a steal at $80. Now I've heard people say (and ironically some complaints) that the SRH840s are a better neutral phone, but they also cost $200.

And we got amperage covered. He's got a Fire Phoenix DAC-02 with his computer, a Fred Fred 2004 CMOY for portable devices, and an old pre-HDMI Denon receiver hooked up with his Xbox--the benefits of dad being into audio equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure that will be fine since they are 100db sensitivity, 64 ohms.

Ah, ok.  Great!  And yeah, I also read that bit about the SRH840s but I've also heard people say the opposite.  The reviewer for this NVX variant didn't seem to be too perceptive of the nuances of these headphones.  The difference from one type of pads to another for example is quite significant.  The only thing I would say however is, as was doubly expressed about a suspicion that the looser headband may actually be less comfortable, I'd also say that's another minus for the sound.  The seal around the ear is very important and a looser headband in that sense has obvious implications, and it also means it's less consistent and gets even looser over time.  I don't think it's a big deal however and it's not a consideration I would say to buy one of the other versions over these, especially once again because of the $80 price point.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #49 of 161
The seal around the ear is very important and a looser headband in that sense has obvious implications, and it also means it's less consistent and gets even looser over time. I don't think it's a big deal however and it's not a consideration I would say to buy one of the other versions over these, especially once again because of the $80 price point.

Unless it has been confirmed that there is some kind of material design flaw and they get loose very quickly, I'm not worried about the clamp pressure loosening. I'm sure that they will be fine for a lot of use.

Plus, this is also a purchase for a 14 year old (it's a reward for getting his grades up the most in the last 3 years--trying a little positive reinforcement). Could be that they will be treated well and last. Could be that the extra $50 for the other models would be money down the drain. He does try to take care of his equipment, but accidents do tend to happen more in that age group. It's inexplicable; I guess that the brain is not quite wired right yet. (lol)

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #50 of 161
Unless it has been confirmed that there is some kind of material design flaw and they get loose very quickly, I'm not worried about the clamp pressure loosening. I'm sure that they will be fine for a lot of use.

Plus, this is also a purchase for a 14 year old (it's a reward for getting his grades up the most in the last 3 years--trying a little positive reinforcement). Could be that they will be treated well and last. Could be that the extra $50 for the other models would be money down the drain. He does try to take care of his equipment, but accidents do tend to happen more in that age group. It's inexplicable; I guess that the brain is not quite wired right yet. (lol)

Oh, no doubt.  In terms of the clamp pressure loosening however, I probably should've mentioned that this is the case with all the other implementations (like the HM5s).  With frequent use, it happens rather quickly.  I considered this to be one of the more significant flaws in terms of the design.  So basically, I was trying to say that if the headband was indeed further loosened somehow, this wouldn't be a good thing.  For some it might be that find the pressure too much to begin with but considering how comfortable the pads are, I don't see how that's a problem as it just makes them feel more sturdy on your head imo.  In any case, I only mentioned that for the purpose of informing you on that point since you mentioned it.  Regardless, I don't think it will be a factor for your son.  I'm sure he'll like them! :)

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #51 of 161
Typhoon859: I think you'll get a chuckle out of the XPT100 comment I found on Amazon (just added to my sig). That's an isolation ability testimonial! :)

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #55 of 161
My son got his NVXs. They are a hit. He said that they sound great and they are SO comfortable. I'll get a fuller report from him later. He has HFI-580s and AKG K518 LEs to compare them to.

Based on everything I've heard about these, I'm just so surprised that they aren't more popular on head-fi with that $80 price tag. Seems like in particular gamers wanting comfortable closed headphones would love these.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #56 of 161
My son got his NVXs. They are a hit. He said that they sound great and they are SO comfortable. I'll get a fuller report from him later. He has HFI-580s and AKG K518 LEs to compare them to.

Based on everything I've heard about these, I'm just so surprised that they aren't more popular on head-fi with that $80 price tag. Seems like in particular gamers wanting comfortable closed headphones would love these.

Well firstly I think some congratulations are in order!  But secondly, I think it's very obvious why these aren't as popular on here although I dare not get into those reasons.  Moderators tend to be a bit touchy about any real criticisms being thrown around in the community.  One external thing to look at however is how commercially viable they are.  These aren't popular for the same reason that Beats are (and I'm referring to more than just marketing).  Not everyone seeks to be as informed as you or I or otherwise take the time to even do minimal research.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #57 of 161
Sometimes it just takes some people to recommend the headphones. Just at $80, Wow! I hope Sonic Electronix keeps them at that. Just need to get the word out, and keep the bassheads away from them who will judge them harshly because the bass is not emphasized 8 to 10db. LOL

It's funny you brought up Beats, which always makes me think of style. I never cared for the cup color of the HM5s or the FA-003s, but I think the all black look of the NVX's is sharp.

Anyway. Made my son happy. Good pair of headphones and good source to plug them into. Wish they had that kind of stuff when I was a teenager :)

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #58 of 161
Sometimes it just takes some people to recommend the headphones. Just at $80, Wow! I hope Sonic Electronix keeps them at that. Just need to get the word out, and keep the bassheads away from them who will judge them harshly because the bass is not emphasized 8 to 10db. LOL

It's funny you brought up Beats, which always makes me think of style. I never cared for the cup color of the HM5s or the FA-003s, but I think the all black look of the NVX's is sharp.

Anyway. Made my son happy. Good pair of headphones and good source to plug them into. Wish they had that kind of stuff when I was a teenager
smily_headphones1.gif

When you were a teenager, at least the music industry was at a better state and listening to music was actually a good time where everyone got together and enjoyed a record.  In terms of the style of the headphones, indeed the all-black makes them look sharp and less "geeky" for lack of a better word.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #59 of 161
Hello everybody. I am very new to the head-fi/hi-fi audio community and I have a question about these phones. Just a few hours ago my used pav2v2 (which I already love) came in the mail. I bought it from a fellow head-fi. But Now I'm looking for a replacement for my modded monoprice 8323. They sound great but I wanna try a neutral sound signature because the 8323s are a lil bass heavy and it annoys me sometimes (a great fun, colored headphone though) Would the NVXs be a good option for me? 

P.S These are going to be used mostly on the way to school and I live in NYC. MTA trains are not the quietest trains (they're obnoxiously loud). 
Someone suggested the Martinlogan mikros 90 to me but I've heard they're bass anemic (but have great high and mids). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back