[Review] Nuforce HA-200 - affordable class-A monoblocks
Nov 20, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #106 of 183
  Well the Jotunheim was the first that came to mind
rolleyes.gif

There are Liquid Carbons floating around in the used marketplace, Lake People (more affordable sister company to Violectric) has the new HPA RS 08, Fostex has another balanced amp too that I think is $400, etc

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get a used 1st gen Mjolnir.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #107 of 183
Armaegis, I am also hunting a HA-200 for my HE-560. I can get a HA-200 for $149.99 on Massdrop, or two for $299.98 for a monoblock configuration. The previous poster mentioned you've heard the HA-200 with the He-560 and recommended the pairing? Do the two mate well? Also, would you recommend one or two of them for the HE-560?

Also, can you manually (and easily) change the voltage, I will likely need to use the amp in Europe and Asia as well.

A big thank you and a sorry for pestering you with so many questions, it's hard to find any info on the pairing on the net.

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #112 of 183
Wow, $300 for the monoblock pair is crazy good!

Yes they are a good match. The HE-560's are an easy load for them. Just make sure your dac has a strong output and volume control (or you have a preamp).

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #114 of 183
  Just make sure your dac has a strong output and volume control (or you have a preamp).

Thanks for this thread... Can you recommend an inexpensive DAC that would work with the NuForce HA200 in balanced mode? Also earlier in the thread you mentioned the Echo2 USB Pro; that's not for balanced right?
Thanks

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #115 of 183
Teac UD-301

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #117 of 183

Thanks for this thread... Can you recommend an inexpensive DAC that would work with the NuForce HA200 in balanced mode? Also earlier in the thread you mentioned the Echo2 USB Pro; that's not for balanced right?
Thanks

The Echo2USB is balanced, but the negative leg of each channel is actually held at zero (not "ground" though) rather than a symmetrical signal. I really like the Echo, but it is discontinued. There are tons of balanced dacs out there that can be had for cheap. If you hit up the guitar centre, there are many pro interfaces which will do it for cheaper than typical audiophile ones.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #118 of 183
  There are tons of balanced dacs out there that can be had for cheap. If you hit up the guitar centre, there are many pro interfaces which will do it for cheaper than typical audiophile ones.

Keyword search for 'balanced dac' at http://www.guitarcenter.com brings up the TEAC UD-503 for $999,-; no other hits. Do you have some examples for cheap balanced DACs? I am really not familiar with the Pro music gear scene.
The Teac UD-301 that was suggested here is affordable, but it would be nice so see some other options.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #119 of 183
Virtually every audio interface in pro audio that has XLR or TRS outputs will be balanced, even if it doesn't say so in the keywords.

Here's the sweetwater search with filters for usb and 2-channel output:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJTaW11bHRhbmVvdXMgSVwvTyI6WyIyIHggMiIsIjEgeCAyIl0sIkFuYWxvZyBPdXRwdXRzIjpbIjFcLzRcIiIsIlhMUiJdfX0

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #120 of 183
  Virtually every audio interface in pro audio that has XLR or TRS outputs will be balanced, even if it doesn't say so in the keywords.

Here's the sweetwater search with filters for usb and 2-channel output:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJTaW11bHRhbmVvdXMgSVwvTyI6WyIyIHggMiIsIjEgeCAyIl0sIkFuYWxvZyBPdXRwdXRzIjpbIjFcLzRcIiIsIlhMUiJdfX0

Thanks ... looks like the Steinberg UR22mkII or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 might do the trick. Steinberg is a division of Yamaha. Quality wise there probably shouldn't be much of a difference between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back