Review: NAD Viso HP50
Aug 14, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #137 of 184
The HP-50, to me, aren't a viable portable headphone for two reasons:

1) The earpieces are quite bulky and conspire with the squared headband to produce a headphone that is quite conspicuous–on par with my Denon AH-D600.

2) HP-50 construction isn't very durable. Even with light usage just around the home, it's not long before plastic-on-plastic creaking starts to set in and spoil quiet passages in your music.

If I'm looking for portable headphones, the HP-50 aren't even in the running.

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #138 of 184
I have larger than average sized ears and a very large head. The Momentums ear cups were too small and uncomfortable for long term listening which is why I sold them. The HP50s ear cups fit me much better but the headband is smaller so the earcups do not fully reach to the bottoms of my ears and the shape of the headband gave me a sore head so I had to return those.
In regards to sound I feel the HP50 has the edge, it's quite well balanced and the slight coloration it has make them very musical. I also found its soundstage to be better, it really does have that roomfeel type sound it advertises. The Momentums are built much better and look far better I think I would be reluctant to wear the hp50 out in public lol.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #139 of 184
I personally love these headphones, but I personally thought there needed to be a tad more sparkle in the trebles. I also thought the bass could have been a bit faster. I guess you would have to sacrifice mid range sound quality to get that though. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #140 of 184
Dialing the bass down by a couple db's might make it appear faster and enhance overall clarity a bit. There should be no harm to the mid range. Haven't tried it, though. There's not much hope for more treble sparkle, I'm afraid. I also like these phones, but use dt1350 more often despite their cable noise.

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #143 of 184
Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a new headphone and HP50 sounds like it got a lot of attention from all over the place. I'm choosing between these and He-400. I know they are different one open and one closed but sound wise which is better? Also, can the NAD play directly from my portable source (Sony z2 and Ipad air). I know the He-400 will have trouble and honestly, I have dn2000 which is fantastic for travel, so it's just a slight bonus. 

I mainly listen to female vocals and classical. My preference is towards detail and balance response. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #144 of 184
I remember hearing Jamey from Headroom saying the Denon 2000 and the HP 50 sounded similar. Did anybody else catch that? That might make you want the HP 50 more, or less. It is a low impedance headphone, it plays well out of a smart phone.

Both of the headphones you are interested in sound good, but I would get the HP 50. It is a better all-purpose all around headphone, and I prefer itswarm presentation.

But, and I know you didn't ask for this opinion, but I like the Sennheiser Momentum better than both of the headphones you are inquiring about.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #146 of 184

[...] Also, can the NAD play directly from my portable source (Sony z2 and Ipad air). I know the He-400 will have trouble and honestly, I have dn2000 which is fantastic for travel, so it's just a slight bonus. [...]

The NAD will work fine directly from your portable source, IME.  An added amp will tighten the bass slightly, but I've found such not worth fiddling with.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #147 of 184
From which material is made the adjustment? i mean when you need to adjust to the size of your head, which material is made? metal? looks like it at least, but i dont like when they are plastic, brakes easily.

Cheers

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #148 of 184
The head band is metal and cups slide up and down a metal rod. However the actual earcups are made of plastic, from what i've seen the most likely place it would break is the plastic area where the earcup attaches to the rod.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #149 of 184
Hey guys first time poster.
Just wanted to chime in that I am very excited for my new placed order white nad viso hp50.

My story is I used a Sony 7506 5 years ago. Then 3 years ago got the Bose AE2. Recently both broke so I started to get into this audiophile thing.
I tried out an audio technica ATH-50x, returned it then got the Sennheiser momentums over ear, returned that then bought a FIIO E17 with a Beyerdynamics DT770 80ohms, but now I am returning the beyer for these NAD VISO HP 50! Hopefully my search will end.

I am very new to all these audio technical terms, but from a newbie standpoint..I was highly impressed with only the Sennheiser momentum however the ear cup fit was just too tight. The most disappointing were the ATH-50x. The DT770 is actually pretty bad too. Like some other posters mentioned I probably am not a Vshape sonic profile type of guy. I would of tried the AKG Q701 but the pricing is too much for my budget.

Anyway, that's my quick story and introduction. I bought the VISO HP50 from musicdirect and called in for a 10%! Since I am in los angeles no tax as well. Pretty damn excited!!!

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #150 of 184
  Hey guys first time poster.
Just wanted to chime in that I am very excited for my new placed order white nad viso hp50.

My story is I used a Sony 7506 5 years ago. Then 3 years ago got the Bose AE2. Recently both broke so I started to get into this audiophile thing.
I tried out an audio technica ATH-50x, returned it then got the Sennheiser momentums over ear, returned that then bought a FIIO E17 with a Beyerdynamics DT770 80ohms, but now I am returning the beyer for these NAD VISO HP 50! Hopefully my search will end.

I am very new to all these audio technical terms, but from a newbie standpoint..I was highly impressed with only the Sennheiser momentum however the ear cup fit was just too tight. The most disappointing were the ATH-50x. The DT770 is actually pretty bad too. Like some other posters mentioned I probably am not a Vshape sonic profile type of guy. I would of tried the AKG Q701 but the pricing is too much for my budget.

Anyway, that's my quick story and introduction. I bought the VISO HP50 from musicdirect and called in for a 10%! Since I am in los angeles no tax as well. Pretty damn excited!!!

Fine choice.  Let me say that, to my ears, they are VASTLY better than the Q701s.  I had the K702s, which are not at all far off the same headphone and I only kept them for a month due to the unnatural upper mid/treble issues.  These NADs are my endgame closed back headphone - search over.  If you like perfectly balanced, natural yet warm, detailed and open sound that works really well with all genres, then you'll love these!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back