Review: NAD Viso HP50
Jul 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #121 of 184
I have been listening to the Sennheiser Momentum and the Nad Viso HP 50 back to back. The best Spotify 320 mp3 tunes I can find. Pop/Rock, country music, and classical. To my ears, the Momentum is crisper and clearer in almost every single song. I like the slam in the deep low-end on the HP 50, but in every other aspect, the Momentum seems preferable to me.

There is a wider soundstage on the HP 50 on some songs, but not by much, and since I already have the much more spacious HD 598 and HD 600, it is hard for me to see where the HP 50 fits in my golf bag of headphones. I will keep them for a little while and continue to compare them to the Momentum, but right now, I think these babies are going back. And no, I do not work for Sennheiser :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #123 of 184
I have been listening to the Sennheiser Momentum and the Nad Viso HP 50 back to back. The best Spotify 320 mp3 tunes I can find. Pop/Rock, country music, and classical. To my ears, the Momentum is crisper and clearer in almost every single song. I like the slam in the deep low-end on the HP 50, but in every other aspect, the Momentum seems preferable to me.

There is a wider soundstage on the HP 50 on some songs, but not by much, and since I already have the much more spacious HD 598 and HD 600, it is hard for me to see where the HP 50 fits in my golf bag of headphones. I will keep them for a little while and continue to compare them to the Momentum, but right now, I think these babies are going back. And no, I do not work for Sennheiser :)

Albeit a short listen at my audio dealership, I did not at all find the over the ear Momentum to sound as good as the HP 50. It seemed restrained and quite un-engaging to me. I hate to be cruel, but I found it right away to be boring and lifeless. The moment I put the HP 50 back on the music felt far more palatable and vibrant. Admittedly I should spend more time with the Momentum, but despite it being a short listen it was very underwhelming right away. I went in with a bias expecting to like the Momentum as I was considering it for my portable use, but to my ears my V-Moda M80 was a better sounding headphone. Yes coloured toward a fun sound, but for portable use that is appropriate to me when you factor in the environmental noise in public. 

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #124 of 184
  Interesting. I was looking to get the HD600 or HD650 and possibly get the HP50 or VmodaXS as my work headphone. Never thought of adding the Momentum in the mix.

If the XS improves on the M80, it is a worthy short list headphone. I think V-Moda has a very good house sound and while not the final word in sonic perfection, the M80 is really a nice sounding, highly engaging headphone with plenty of pop and ability to present detail. I was quite impressed and almost 2 years with mine I still like it. I am certainly going to get the XS as it sounds like a great re-invention of a winning sound signature.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #125 of 184
After using the hp50 for several weeks as an alternative to my he500 when I need something closed... The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't quite play happily when used loud. Even with an amp.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #126 of 184
After using the hp50 for several weeks as an alternative to my he500 when I need something closed... The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't quite play happily when used loud. Even with an amp.

What exactly do you find to be the problem? I used to blast my NADs quite loud.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #129 of 184
Got mine a few days ago, and I've managed to listen to them for about 15 hours since. Not sure if that's enough to burn them in (or if these phones are even especially sensitive to burn in), but my overall impression has been quite positive.

I'm comparing them to HiFIMAN HE-400s, using a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 driven via optical from my MacBook Pro. All the source files I've been listening to are 24-bit FLACs (or ALACs). I've also been listening to vinyls on what has been called a "toy" turntable, the AT-LP60.

Both sound dark to me, which I like. The HP50s seem to exaggerate the upper mid-range more than I'd like them to, which makes me like songs like Learning to Fly by Tom Petty much more on the HE-400s. I had similar results with Addicted to You by Avicii. My "staple" audition songs -- Take the Power Back by Rage Against the Machine and Crumbs from your Table by U2 -- sound excellent on both the HP50s and the HE-400s.

For me, the HP50s really shined with the vinyls. After listening to Invented by Jimmy Eat World all the way through on both the HP50s and the HE-400s, I have to say I greatly prefer the HP50s. I think the warm sound signature of vinyl (my setup, at least) goes very well with the HP50s and brings out some of the more subtle aspects of the music.

Everyone seems to be talking about the sound stage on these things, probably as a result of the "RoomFeel" advertisement. While these things certainly have great sound stage, I don't think it is significantly better than the HE-400s, but it is definitely different. For me, the HE-400s sound much more spread out (distance between instruments), and the HP50s feels narrower but deeper (variable distance from instruments). I'm still not used to the lingo, but I believe one would describe the HP50s as more "intimate" than the HE-400s.

A note on aesthetics -- these things look ridiculous. They actually look pretty cool when you're holding them, or resting them on a stand, but when you wear them you'll look like you have a handle on your head.

In terms of isolation, I found the HP50s to be way better than the HE-400s, which is to be expected, since the HP50s are closed and the HE-400s are open. I have the velour pads on the HE-400s and stock pads on the HP50s.

The HP50s are absolutely more portable than the HE-400s. I personally think that the HE-400s require an amp, and I laugh whenever I plug them directly into my iPhone. The HP50s, however, do pretty well being powered from my iPhone, and don't seem to gain much quality from my amp.

The cables that come with the HP50s leave something to be desired. They're incredibly short, although you can plug them into either side of the headphones, which gives you a bit of extra distance. This is fine if your using a mobile device that's on your person (in fact, the cable with the iOS remote on it is slightly longer than the one without), but pretty inconvenient otherwise, especially compared to the excellent cable length on the HE-400s.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase of the HP50s as my second set of "stay at home" headphones. If I can figure out what kind of cable it uses (it looks like a male-to-male 3.5mm, but I can't be certain by visual inspection alone), I'll just buy a longer and thicker one and I'll have no complaints aside from looking like a teapot when I wear them.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #130 of 184

What exactly do you find to be the problem? I used to blast my NADs quite loud.

Music feels congested. But only because I'm comparing it to my he500 which likes to be played loud.

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #131 of 184
Hi, great to read your, and all posts.
I was wondering how the size of the NAD's are compared to the Momentum. My ears are rather large...
And someone wrote the Momentums are almost ON-ear?

Also, what are your experiences comparing those in regards to sound isolation?

Thanks!

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #132 of 184
The HP 50 fits over the ear better than the Momentum. I give the edge in comfort to the HP 50. I also give the deep bass extension advantage to the HP 50. I also like the carrying case for the HP 50 better.

But I think the Momentum sounds better, looks better, and is built better.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #134 of 184
This was precisely my experience: The Momentums displayed not only superior tonal balance and dynamics, but construction as well (NONE of the creakiness and micro phonics that plague the HP50's listening experience). What's more, the Momentums scale up better, allowing them to be enjoyed equally well at home as on the go.

Speaking of "on the go:" Upgrading from my iPod classic + FiiO E12 to the Astell & Kern AK100 has transformed the Sennheiser Momentums. Rather than roll off almost abruptly, high frequencies seem to shimmer just the right amount to enliven strings and cymbal crashes. Bass is super-tight and articulate. And that thick midrange recedes just a bit while adopting a higher level of liquidity. Suddenly, the Momentums are the closed back headphones I WANT to listen with. And this is listening to 320 kbps rips from CD 48kHz. 24bit/96kHz ALAC files from HDTracks have predictably better dynamics, but also a greater sense of space and the clarity of vocals in particular is unreal if you've become accustomed to the rather gaunt sound of mp3 files played back on iDevices.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #135 of 184
I have normal sized ears, and the Momentums are snug, but comfortable enough to wear for a few hours continuously. If I wear glasses while listening, that drops to about 90 minutes max before the caliper pressure causes the contact point of the eyeglasses to become painful. I can imagine those with larger ears would find the Momentums unacceptable, particularly eyeglass wearers. Good luck finding portable cans with such great build quality, dynamics and mid-range. The PSB M4U1 are as closest as I could find (and I tried everything), sonically, but they are huge. The AKG Tiesto K267 lack the sheer mid-range vibrancy of the Momentums, but have a pleasing tonality and are comfy as well. But there have been reports of mechanical failures that call into question their durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back