Review: NAD Viso HP50
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #107 of 184
Are you talking about the Sennheiser Momentum OVER ear, the one that basically sounds like a portable sealed HD 650? I love it, it's the best on the go headphone I have.

Yes indeed, that is the one, and I was quite unimpressed with it. I owned the 650 for a year and I can't say I make the same connection. As I said I didn't listen for long, but I just was quite surprised by how underwhelmed I was. Everybody is different as they say. I went in expecting to really like what I heard and if so I was likely going to buy them. I will try again, but I think for my new portable it will be the V-Moda XS as I love my M80. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #108 of 184
I guess we all like different things. Where did you try them out? I have demoed headphones at Best Buy that did not impress me in the least, but later on on my own gear, I either acclimated to them or they just sounded a lot better.

I demoed the Sony MDR 7506 at guitar center and was impressed right away with their neutrality, so I bought them. But after a couple of weeks at home, I thought they were a tad bright on top for long-term listening.

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #109 of 184
I listened to them in a professional audio store, but not for as long as I would have liked. I was buying my second sub for my speaker rig and had to rush a little bit. I used my E12 and phone with my own tunes at 320 so the quality should have been fine. As I said, I will go back as I know that wasn't the best audition. The second I put my NADs back on in the store and hit play the difference was pretty apparent. I think I found the body of the sound just a little distant and less impactful from the Momentums.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #110 of 184
Maybe the HP 50 are more to your liking than the Momentum. That's easy to understand. And if the NAD are indeed better, then the momentum would definitely not sound as good. But taking on its own merits, I think the Momentum is great.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #111 of 184
  I found the Momentums to be very boring sounding. It was a short listen albeit, but right away I just couldn't believe how dull they sounded. I will listen again as my audio store has the floor model (and an HD 800 floor model). These were the over ear, not on ear model. I also felt they were very "non-substantial" feeling, almost too lite for me.

this question is kinda off topic but here goes, how do you know when your e12 is done charging?

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #112 of 184
The charging light stops blinking and stays solid red.

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #113 of 184
Maybe the HP 50 are more to your liking than the Momentum. That's easy to understand. And if the NAD are indeed better, then the momentum would definitely not sound as good. But taking on its own merits, I think the Momentum is great.

I am sure the Momentum is excellent, and I am sure that with a more in depth listen I would have been able to hear what they are all about. I fully intend to give them another listen as frankly I really like how they look and having owned the 650 before I know I like the Senn signatures. I try not to think in terms of better. One mans food is another mans poison as they say. If you love the Momentum then that is all that matters isn't it?

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #115 of 184
So this is the response i got from my headphone supplier when i enquired about the NAD HP50.
"The HP50 is a very inoffensive and flat sounding headphone, so instead of being neutral and accurate they're flat and lifeless sounding".

Does this sound accurate to anyone? Sadly i'm out in the middle of the australian outback so i dont have the opportunity to be able to trial many cans.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #116 of 184
So this is the response i got from my headphone supplier when i enquired about the NAD HP50.
"The HP50 is a very inoffensive and flat sounding headphone, so instead of being neutral and accurate they're flat and lifeless sounding".

Does this sound accurate to anyone? Sadly i'm out in the middle of the australian outback so i dont have the opportunity to be able to trial many cans.
far from it. They are on the warmer side of things. Nice punchy bass, Very clear, smooth, with good Soundstage for a closed can. Ate you looking for something with a lot of bass or something with treble energy?

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #117 of 184
far from it. They are on the warmer side of things. Nice punchy bass, Very clear, smooth, with good Soundstage for a closed can. Ate you looking for something with a lot of bass or something with treble energy?

I looking for something thats fairly neutral sounding. I currently use the Yamaha MT220 which i quite like but i'm looking for something thats a step up from that and doesn't have a horrible coiled cable, a detachable cable would be preferable. If you've heard the MT220 would you say the HP50 is a step up?

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #119 of 184
  I looking for something thats fairly neutral sounding. I currently use the Yamaha MT220 which i quite like but i'm looking for something thats a step up from that and doesn't have a horrible coiled cable, a detachable cable would be preferable. If you've heard the MT220 would you say the HP50 is a step up?

You might consider purchasing an HD600 which is reputed to be very neutral and I would think used they sell reasonable. The NAD is quite good, but I guess depending on what is meant by neutral they may be the most neutral. I just sold mine, but I liked them very much, I just wanted to try the HE 560 and I needed the funds. Not to mention I purchased them as true on the go headphones which based on their cable length they were made for but in reality I found them a little large and hot for that use. Excellent headphone for the money.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #120 of 184
You might consider purchasing an HD600 which is reputed to be very neutral and I would think used they sell reasonable. The NAD is quite good, but I guess depending on what is meant by neutral they may be the most neutral. I just sold mine, but I liked them very much, I just wanted to try the HE 560 and I needed the funds. Not to mention I purchased them as true on the go headphones which based on their cable length they were made for but in reality I found them a little large and hot for that use. Excellent headphone for the money.

Thanks but I was really looking for something closed back for isolation. By neutral I mean where nothing noticeable sticks out. I had considered the focal spirit pro but they don't look that comfortable where as the HP50 looks much more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back