Review: NAD Viso HP50
Jun 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #91 of 184

Supposedly, I should look for another fun sounding headphones ( generally don't need amping) instead of more analytical ie.HD650 .But since I tried it once for a very short time It made me so curious. I am opening a can of worm and ordered one. Damn ! And it would come tomorrow
rolleyes.gif

Well, where I live here in LA they are no local stores that carry a bunch of phones, Magnolia seems to be the only choice and they suck! I wish I too could try a bunch of different phones and make up my mind. Lucky you.
Anyway I'm glad you've found the one. PSB was my first crush but I chose NAD for more comfort and less weigh (btw, they are identical in sound)

You may very well love the 650s, give them a chance of course. I did enjoy them quite a bit, but as I said I just couldn't take the feeling that there was a little treble energy missing. Perhaps I am a little nuts, but I swear it was something I could almost feel. But please, try them and see, many, many people love them and you may just be one of those people. Let us know.

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #92 of 184
Dear head-fier

This will be off topic to this thread, sorry for that but I just like to continue my journey after math with HP50.

I finally got my HD650 just yesterday it was mint cond barely burnt it according to previous owner.
I started listening to it right away straight from my Fiio X5.

Let me tell you this..

It's AMAZING !!
beyersmile.png

I have never felt like this before. It feels like I just found my long lost romance I thought I'd never found.
I was acting crazy, smile to myself and started walking around the house  and got a little hyper then ever.
There are million words out there that praises this can highly and I couldn't agree more.
It is not as bright or vibrant as I want it maybe a bit dull and too mellow but If I listen to the music as a whole I definitely feel the music the way it should, prob the way the artists want it to be with no extra flavoring added.
Also as hybrid "bass head" I am quite satisfied with HD650 bass performance. Its not the best but it really does the job to carry the weight,the body and the groove of the music.
If I want a little extra sizzle on top just throw in a few db's at 3-4 khz and above 10 khz on my X5 no big deal.
And the "veil" that head-fier are talking about..I honestly don't hear it. Once this phone placed on your head can't let it go!

As to compare with HP50 it is confidently a few steps upgrades to HD650. HP50 has almost similar sound to HD650 but more refined, more separations, better depth perceptions, creamier mids, deeper low ends ( yess..). I can say it's about 30% more.

Those who enjoys HP50 please don't be discourage as it is only my personal opinion. Life is too short "Profiter de la vie"
Only when you are ready to upgrade may I suggest HD650.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #93 of 184
  Dear head-fier

This will be off topic to this thread, sorry for that but I just like to continue my journey after math with HP50.

I finally got my HD650 just yesterday it was mint cond barely burnt it according to previous owner.
I started listening to it right away straight from my Fiio X5.

Let me tell you this..

It's AMAZING !!
beyersmile.png

I have never felt like this before. It feels like I just found my long lost romance I thought I'd never found.
I was acting crazy, smile to myself and started walking around the house  and got a little hyper then ever.
There are million words out there that praises this can highly and I couldn't agree more.
It is not as bright or vibrant as I want it maybe a bit dull and too mellow but If I listen to the music as a whole I definitely feel the music the way it should, prob the way the artists want it to be with no extra flavoring added.
Also as hybrid "bass head" I am quite satisfied with HD650 bass performance. Its not the best but it really does the job to carry the weight,the body and the groove of the music.
If I want a little extra sizzle on top just throw in a few db's at 3-4 khz and above 10 khz on my X5 no big deal.
And the "veil" that head-fier are talking about..I honestly don't hear it. Once this phone placed on your head can't let it go!

As to compare with HP50 it is confidently a few steps upgrades to HD650. HP50 has almost similar sound to HD650 but more refined, more separations, better depth perceptions, creamier mids, deeper low ends ( yess..). I can say it's about 30% more.

Those who enjoys HP50 please don't be discourage as it is only my personal opinion. Life is too short "Profiter de la vie"
Only when you are ready to upgrade may I suggest HD650.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the 650s so much! I liked mine quite a bit as well, not as much as it sounds like you do. I will be interested to see what you feel after a few months, hopefully the love affair will continue. Enjoy them.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #94 of 184

You either need burn in time or yours is a lemon. I have the m50x and hp50. I had the m50x before I got the hp50. At first the m50x sounded great, good bass, very clear, etc. But when I got the hp50 I first thought they were bass light and didn't like them. After awhile everything improved (maybe my brain adjusted?). I'm telling you that the hp50 sounds so good now that the m50x sounds absolutely horrible to me (veiled and flat and less clear and compressed in a can soundstage, etc.)....

Same here.  I have the Grado SR80 and ATH-M50, absolutely loved them.  "Loved".  Past tense.  After getting the HP50, my SR80 and M50 find themselves in the closet.

(I asked my nephews if they wanted them, and they asked me back if I have Beats.  I disowned them -- my nephews, not my SR80 and M50.  Stupid kids.  :)

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #95 of 184
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the 650s so much! I liked mine quite a bit as well, not as much as it sounds like you do. I will be interested to see what you feel after a few months, hopefully the love affair will continue. Enjoy them.

I know a lot of people switch their headphones like an accessories or a girlfriend but I think I'm keeping it for good. I had Ath M50 for more than 10 years and still love them. I am a Taurus ;a loyal type of guy.. Lol!

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #96 of 184

Same here.  I have the Grado SR80 and ATH-M50, absolutely loved them.  "Loved".  Past tense.  After getting the HP50, my SR80 and M50 find themselves in the closet.

(I asked my nephews if they wanted them, and they asked me back if I have Beats.  I disowned them -- my nephews, not my SR80 and M50.  Stupid kids.  :)

I haven't heard them myself, but the newer Beats are reputed to be fairly good sounding headphones (Studio's anyway), plus they do have good design which matters to some. I fully intend to give an objective listen to some new beats when I get a chance. Despite being an old dude I go to university and see hundreds of Beats a week. I will do a listening exchange with somebody and hear for myself if the new Beats are indeed better (didn't really like what I heard from older Beats).

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #97 of 184
I know a lot of people switch their headphones like an accessories or a girlfriend but I think I'm keeping it for good. I had Ath M50 for more than 10 years and still love them. I am a Taurus ;a loyal type of guy.. Lol!

Hey, I'm a Cancer and I crave new sound signatures. I like chicken, but I want to taste many styles and that is why I try a new headphone at most every two years. I am considering an AKG in the future. As for the Senn Momentum which the HP 50 is compared with, based on a short listen I will admit with a Momentum, I thought the HP 50 sounded quite a bit more engaging (coloured I know, but colour can be good and lend musicality). I also felt the Momentums felt very light and surprisingly, not very substantial at all. The HP 50 does have that plastic feel, what can you expect for $299? I would rather suffer a little solid feel for sound quality any day and the HP 50 sounds quite good for the money to my ears.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #98 of 184
This is HP50 Freq analysis I found online ( http://stereos.about.com/od/accessoriesheadphones/ss/NAD-Viso-HP-50-Measurements.htm)

Ultra lows: 20-80
Lows: 80-200
Low mids: 200-500
Mids: 500-1.4
High mids: 1.4-2.5
Highs: 2.5-4
Ultra highs: 4-20

Based on this graph, HP50 seems to have a flat respond with slight bump around 100-200hz which is the bass. It also has a recess on the mids around 1 khz and boost at 3khz and 10 khz where the treble is. So based upon what I see I would expect it sounds really nice. It has good bass and lower extension to sub, a little dip at around 500-1khz for less muffled and boomy plus some sizzle and sparkle on 3khz and  10 khz.

How come when I had it it sounded the opposite ? Boomy, shallow bass respond , too mellow and dull.. I don't get it?!

Well, I know it's over for me but I'm just curious
blink.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #100 of 184
I am soooo tempted to bend the headband at the top so it is not so squarey.  I know the seal might get affected, but if it does then I would replace the headband altogether.  How I would go about doing that, I am not sure yet.

"W
e don't care about your lifestyle, we care about your ears" from NAD's ad is a total buffalo manure, if you ask me.  Had HP50 been totally butt ugly like this:  https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6393893/il_fullxfull.254828465.jpg
 ,  I'd subscribe to that sentiment.  But one look at these headphones it is evident that there was an attempt to make it stylish -- the aluminum trim finish, the shiny cups, the nice and soft headband cushion, etc.  They tried, but they effed-up on the shape of the headband.  Maybe it was needed for the seal the designers wanted to achieve.  I dig that. But the shape is ugly.  LOL.  Sorry, there's just no other way of putting it.  Nonetheless, I still love them for how they sound.  ^_^  

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #102 of 184
I've been using the he500 exclusively almost for the past 6 months and I got the Nad viso hp50 since I wanted something semi portable and closed too. These did not disappoint.

Interesting comment. I have he400 and I use them quite a bit at home and I have been debating between the hp50 and the m100 but I am leaning towards the hp50 due to the reviews people have made about them.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #103 of 184
I've been using the he500 exclusively almost for the past 6 months and I got the Nad viso hp50 since I wanted something semi portable and closed too. These did not disappoint.

Interesting comment. I have he400 and I use them quite a bit at home and I have been debating between the hp50 and the m100 but I am leaning towards the hp50 due to the reviews people have made about them.

I find that the hp50 is actually like the he500. Mostly neutral. Semi warm. Nice clear midrange. Extends well down low. Punchy when needed without bass bloat.

Perfect actually. I wanted a semi portable closed he500 so I don't miss my he500 when I need something closed or when I'm on the go.

The best thing is.. It sound wonderful straight out of my s4.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #104 of 184

I've also got an He400, and bought the HP50 a week ago.
One thing I definitely notice is the difference in space between the two.  To me, the he400 can sound like good speakers about 2-3 feet away from my head, while the Hp50 sounds more like 1-2 feet away.  It's a bit more intimate, but not the closed in feeling I was expecting from a closed earphone. The HP50 is noticeably warmer in a pleasant way, and when switching between the two, these two traits make the He400 seem a little bit analytical and distant.  It's a bit strange hearing music that seems to come from outside the headphones, then during pauses in music, the isolation making it feel like you've got earmuffs on.  Huge plus for traveling though.

One thing to note - wearing glasses breaks the seal on earpads, which can significantly change the sound signature.

Bass is good on both, the He400's extends down further resulting in a fuller sound, while the HP50 is a little bit tighter and punchier with less overlap into other frequencies.  Equivalent but different. Most noticeable between the two headphones is that the HP50 is lacking the harshness in the highs which can make some female vocals on the He400 fatiguing.

I have yet to find a genre which sounds bad on the HP50, which is definitely a large plus in my book.  Jazz, Classical, Rock, R&B, Pop, all of them come out well balanced. 
I find myself switching between the two when I want to hear different characteristics of the music.

Comfort-wise, I could see the depth of the pads being a concern for people who's ears stick out very far.  Not a problem for me, but YMMV.

I don't regret buying the HP50's as a portable headphone(also tried out the Momentums, but had comfort issues and returned them).

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #105 of 184
I found the Momentums to be very boring sounding. It was a short listen albeit, but right away I just couldn't believe how dull they sounded. I will listen again as my audio store has the floor model (and an HD 800 floor model). These were the over ear, not on ear model. I also felt they were very "non-substantial" feeling, almost too lite for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back