REVIEW: Musical Paradise MP-301 Tube Headphone / Speaker amp
Mar 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #106 of 146
Seldom have I read a review that influenced me so positively in favor of a specific product. Although I had been looking at the MP-301 a while before I found this topic, this write-up was the final push I needed towards collecting an I.O.U. from someone in the States and asking them to purchase and send me a MP-301 instead.

I've been looking for the Mullard 6AU6’s Skylab mentioned in the review but have difficulty finding them. Anyone know of a place that might carry them? How about the EF94 Valvo by Philips or the US Tungsol 1955 or the Sylvania 6AU6, anybody have any experience with these alongside the Ken-Rad 6V6GT's?

Thanks
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #107 of 146
The Sylvania 6AU6's were pretty good, I thought. Almost as good as the Mullard. And they are cheap, and easy to find
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #108 of 146
Thanks for the tip Skylab
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #110 of 146
Quick question for anyone using the MP-301 as a speaker amp:

I am tempted by the great price to pick this up as a speaker amp for my medical school dorm/apartment. The catch is that I do not own any fancy, high efficiency speakers. While I may purchase a nice set of speakers in the future, how well will this power a generic set of bookshelf speakers in a small bedroom or living area? If I want concert volume or higher fidelity, the Jade + DT990s will do just fine; I'm just looking for moderate listening levels.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #111 of 146
I gave mine to my son, who uses it in his room with B&W 601 S2's - which are only moderate efficiency - works fine. Not dance club levels, but plenty loud enough.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #112 of 146
Thanks for the help. I may end up using this in a larger room with a pair of 98dB/W@1m Sansui SP-2500 loudspeakers. Based on your experience with the larger B&W floorstanding speakers, this should do well.

TT with M97XE cartridge > ASL Mini Phono II > MP-301 > speakers...
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gave mine to my son, who uses it in his room with B&W 601 S2's - which are only moderate efficiency - works fine. Not dance club levels, but plenty loud enough.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #113 of 146
Good Day,
Just a quick note to those of us who love the MP-301......I absolutely love it....I had an issue with the left channel cutting out after the first week which was corrected after re-soldering the speaker outputs. The headphones are Beyerdynamic DT990/600 ohm and Audio Technica A700's, the preamp is a Woo 3, while the source is a Music Hall DAC 25.2/Wadia itransport with an Amperex Bugle Boy tube and finally, a Macbook Pro. I prefer the 24/96 setting on the SRC. For speakers on this bedroom system, I have been using the ORB speakers with a sensitivity of 89db. They can, with the right tube combinations, border on breathtaking.  The MP is currently sporting a pair of JJ 6V6S and a pair of WE 403b's. The Woo has a JAN RCA "vase" 6AS7G power tube and a pair of gold pin JJ E88"s. I have a stash of new 6V6's from Tungsol, JJ, EH, to pair up with JAN Phillips 6AU6, chrome plate RCA 6AK5, and Hytron 6AK5, plus the aforementioned WE 403b's. The Woo 3 has combinations of Bugle Boys, JJ's, Russian "Rocket Logo's" and RCA 6AS7G, and Sylvania 7236's.  If anyone is interested, I can post the interpretations of the tube rolling combination. AND finally, thanks to everyone @HEADFI for all of the fantastic ideas (This means you, Mr. Skylab!).

Warmest Regards,
E.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #115 of 146
I picked up a well-burned-in set of used AKG k701 (thanks, Ryan!) and I am happy (and relieved) to report that my MP-301 drives them nicely. After reading some postings, I was concerned that I'd need a solid-state or a tube-hybrid amp to get bass out of these cans. 

My concerns were misplaced. With this little amp, the bass has extension and quantity, and generally good impact (although the lower registers can be a bit shapeless, likely as much a reflection on the recording as on the amp-headphone pairing). The bass is well balanced, even at low volumes. To the other extreme, I've yet to turn the volume knob beyond 9 o'clock. Otherwise, the famed k701 soundstage, detail and mids are all there.

I haven't heard the k701 through a heed canamp, Head Direct EF 1 or any of the other amps commonly recommended for these cans, so I have no real comparisons to offer. But after 8 hours of listening, I'd say the MP-301 meets my needs (at least until I decide to upgrade for no good reason).

My setup:
MacBook Pro =(s/pdif)= Hot Audio DAC-Wow =(RCA)= MP-301 (Sylvania 6au6, RCA 6v6gt) = stock k701.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #116 of 146
Hi Micmacmo, in regards to your concern that the MP-301 would drive your AKG K701 headphones. When I purchased my MP- 301, Gary from Musical Paradise told me that they used the AKG headphones to set up the amp. I have the AKG K240 MK11 and the Grado SR80 headphones and the amp sounds good on both, I have about 50hrs. on the amp. enjoy the amp.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #117 of 146

Quote:
Hi Micmacmo, in regards to your concern that the MP-301 would drive your AKG K701 headphones. When I purchased my MP- 301, Gary from Musical Paradise told me that they used the AKG headphones to set up the amp. I have the AKG K240 MK11 and the Grado SR80 headphones and the amp sounds good on both, I have about 50hrs. on the amp. enjoy the amp.
smile_phones.gif

While I really dig how the 301 sounds with k701s, I have to say I'm surprised they drive your Celestions. From what I've read, those speakers aren't easy to drive.  

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #118 of 146
That's what really impressed me about the MP-301, that they could drive my Celestions. That is not why I bought them, I use them only as headphone amp. but that little unit is hard to beat at 200 dollars. I also have the advantage of having Gary live not far from me, about 15 minutes away. I had a bad tube and was able to go to his house and get a replacement right away, very happy camper.
happy_face1.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #119 of 146
I've had similar service from Garry. In fact, I'd say I'm as impressed by his responsiveness and his willingness to go out-of-his-way for me as I am by the amp itself. Well, almost. The amp is pretty darn impressive for the money. 

I live a few hours drive away from Garry, but my wife often travels to Edmonton on business. So when I originally bought the amp and later when I needed replacement tubes, Garry met her at her office to drop off the goods.

For my part, I've been impressed by the one-person manufacturers and designers I've met through head-fi (Garry, Wyatt (MisterX), Dave (HotAudio)). You sense the pride they take in their work through the quality of their builds, the quality and speed of their responses to questions, and their overall fairness in dealing with their customers. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #120 of 146
I am new to the forum. I just ordered the MP-301 and I am looking forward to this new hobby. At present I listen with my phones threw My HK 3380 receiver. or my older Pioneer receiver. And I do in joy totally. But I never had a dedicated headphone amp. But any way I would like to read your tube rolling  experience for this  amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back