REVIEW: Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2 vacuum tube integrated amp
Nov 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

I see you have the Asgard, how do you find the LCD-2 between the Asgard and Mk3. Do you think the LCD-2 is being driven fully with the Mk3 from the headphone jack.

Did some quick comparison today between the two. And these are only my opinions. I like the Asgard more with the Lcd-2 because of the warmth and creamy sound. But the Mk3 is definitely more powerfull than Asgard (Mk3 is rated 2w from the headphone out). And maybe the Mk3 is somehow clearer and tighter. Or should i say realistic? So i would say that if you like warmth pick Asgard and for the bright sound sig, pick the Mk3. Are they fully driven? I cant say, but i would say that the Mk3 drives them with the good spirit. Or Good+. But im not really so good describing amps. 
Hope this helps somehow, pretty confusing text to me :D

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:
Did some quick comparison today between the two. And these are only my opinions. I like the Asgard more with the Lcd-2 because of the warmth and creamy sound. But the Mk3 is definitely more powerfull than Asgard (Mk3 is rated 2w from the headphone out). And maybe the Mk3 is somehow clearer and tighter. Or should i say realistic? So i would say that if you like warmth pick Asgard and for the bright sound sig, pick the Mk3. Are they fully driven? I cant say, but i would say that the Mk3 drives them with the good spirit. Or Good+. But im not really so good describing amps. 
Hope this helps somehow, pretty confusing text to me :D

Haha np, thanks! How do you find the bass extension and impact between the two?

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 36
I have the MK3.  I picked it up from Garry personally.  I also purchased a set of used PSB speakers from him.  The amp sounds great, but I can't really compare it to any other equipment because it is my first piece of audiophile gear.  I can say that the sound quality into my ATH-M50's is not ideal.  These are 32 ohm cans so I assume this is the cause of the hum I'm getting.  I can't really blame Garry for this.  I tried a Mk3 with HD 600's at Garry's house.  The amp had no problem powering them.

After emailing Garry I purchased a pair of 250 ohm DT 880's.  He said these would be better than the 600 ohm cans.  If this doesn't solve my problems I will go with a dedicated headphone amp and use the Mk3 strictly for the speakers.  It would be sweet if Garry built a dedicated headphone amp.

Regardless of the headphone output, it is an awesome value!  

I should also say that Garry is a genuinely nice and patient individual.  He has promptly responded to several of my emails with useful information.  

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 36
Interesting, I caught your review of the MK3 on Inner Fidelity and I'm rather curious about it... I think I wanna try it out as an upgrade to a cheap little T-amp I have (with a pair of Infinity P163) and as an alternative with my DT 880 (250 ohm, currently driven straight up from my Xonar STX).

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #20 of 36
For those interested, my review of the Mk 3 is here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musical-paradise-mp-301-mk-3-vacuum-tube-integratedheadphone-amplifier-and-mp-d1-vacuum-tube

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #23 of 36
I wasn't able to compare the Valhalla to the MP-301 mk3 directly, and both are fine amps for the money , but the OTL Valhalla will be more ideal with higher impedance cans whereas the Mk 3 which is transformer coupled is more ideal for lower impedance cans. But to be fair, I did not try the Mk3 with high impedance cans.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #24 of 36
With my Dt 880's 250 ohm it becomes uncomfortably loud after about 35%.  No problem powering the dt 88o's at all.  There is zero hum with the 880's.

as an aside, I also don't notice much treble roll off at all. I was expecting much more.  

*Edit:  I agree completely with the inner fidelity review.  Especially the comments about the lower treble and midrange.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #26 of 36

I just tried powering the HE-6 off the speaker outputs of a the mk3. It does a pretty nice job overall. The overall clarity falls behind my Nuforce Icon2 which has better impact and definition, but the MP has this fun rumbly feel to it in the bass and is sweeter sounding through the mids. Better with vocals than instruments to my ear. With the latter it feels slightly fuzzy but those voices shine beautifully. I hate to stereotype that it has a "tube" sound, but that's the immediate first impression.

Last week I also used the speaker outputs into an old Stax (I think it was a 404). Wow, now that was nice!

May 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #27 of 36
Hi! 
    If there's anyone who can help me, i'm considering between purchasing the mp-301 MK 3 standard version ($299 USD + shipping) and the mp-301 deluxe version (335.61+49.5= $385.11 USD). According to Garry, the standard version is the last one available in the warehouse. I'm a little worried about this fact. Also, the fact that the deluxe and standard version is close to $90 apart is kinda iffy as well. Not sure whether the deluxe version is over-priced now or the standard version is simply, a lemon product (a returned defective good or smething?) . I do not mean to be overly critical or paranoid about this but it's my first purchase of a tube  amp overseas and the fact that the amp is supposed to be a <=$300 product and that shipping fees for returns can be expensive makes me kinda hesitant to make the move despite all the good reviews. Please, any help would be much appreciated!

May 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:
Hi! 
    If there's anyone who can help me, i'm considering between purchasing the mp-301 MK 3 standard version ($299 USD + shipping) and the mp-301 deluxe version (335.61+49.5= $385.11 USD). According to Garry, the standard version is the last one available in the warehouse. I'm a little worried about this fact. Also, the fact that the deluxe and standard version is close to $90 apart is kinda iffy as well. Not sure whether the deluxe version is over-priced now or the standard version is simply, a lemon product (a returned defective good or smething?) . I do not mean to be overly critical or paranoid about this but it's my first purchase of a tube  amp overseas and the fact that the amp is supposed to be a <=$300 product and that shipping fees for returns can be expensive makes me kinda hesitant to make the move despite all the good reviews. Please, any help would be much appreciated!

If $86 is going to break your bank, you don't need to be getting into the tube amp business.  This is an expensive hobby.  FYI - I have a MP-301 MK2 and have spent way more than the purchase price on tubes for it.  

May 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #29 of 36
While I can't speak on the specifics, it seems they've upgraded the power transformer AND the output transformers. Just that alone should be worth a price bump. And what's the actual price difference? You're not accounting for shipping on the older model, so if the price difference is only $40 I say that's a no brainer.

May 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

If $86 is going to break your bank, you don't need to be getting into the tube amp business.  This is an expensive hobby.  FYI - I have a MP-301 MK2 and have spent way more than the purchase price on tubes for it.  

Hi BmWr75,
                    haha I do get your point:) I'm of the perspective of choosing the cheapest and most worthwhile option because I am a student and my budget isn't half as much as I would like it to be yet. Also, I don't reside in the U.S so currency conversion under the banks and all might bump up the price more than my budget can contain. So for me the additional price is like spending >$100 more on the same amp with better parts. From a student's perspective, it kinda stinks as I'm using my savings on this. But I appreciate your input:)
Quote:
While I can't speak on the specifics, it seems they've upgraded the power transformer AND the output transformers. Just that alone should be worth a price bump. And what's the actual price difference? You're not accounting for shipping on the older model, so if the price difference is only $40 I say that's a no brainer.

Hi Armaegis, thanks for replyin:) Excluding shipping the upgrade from the mk2 to mk3 is approx $79. Could you shed some light on what the upgraded power/output transformers will aid in and whether it's worth the ~$80 bump? Thank you 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back