REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Jan 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #376 of 515
anyone tried to use the DACport with an android device? like Samsung GS3? I'm considering buying one for using it as a portable dac+amp solution, but i heard it doesn't work with the usb audio out solution. Can anyone please test it ? Thank you very much

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #377 of 515
You may need a power hub to do it but from what I've seen on the Adroid thread it has been successfully used via android with a new program that allows you to bypass the android limitation. Regardless of if the DACport can be used without a Power hub I highly suggest you do so to preserve the battery of your phone as the DACport LX is power hungry and is as hot a molten lava :wink:. It will sound better as well with better power.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1125

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #379 of 515
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Actually i'm considering the normal version and not the LX version which doesn't come with a headphone amp....

Well if you are after convenience the regular DACport is the better option. If you are after better sound quality and will use a separate dedicated amp with the DAC the DACport LX is the best choice in terms of sound quality alone.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #381 of 515
I use the Tekkeon TekCharge Dual Port External Battery to power the Dacport hooked up to my iPad (should work the same for other devices). The battery has 2 regular USB ports and a mini USB connection. I got it from Amazon for $55
http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-TekCharge-External-Battery-iPhone/dp/B004OC0122
It doesn't seem available right now on Amazon but the main requirements is multiple USB ports and that it can be a hub as well as charger. Almost none of the portable battery specs will tell you if the device works as a hub so it becomes hit or miss.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #382 of 515
But how con i have this config? 

GS3-------->USB AUDIO OUT----->DACPORT (USB IN) 

And connect the dacport to another power source? (Because IMHO the DACPort problem with gs3 is it's power hungry Aclass amp)

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #383 of 515
If I may interrupt the current conversation, for which I can offer no contributions...

I recently ordered this aluminum heat sink on which to rest my DACport LX while using it.  

Without using any type of fan, the heat sink alone has greatly reduced the felt temperature of the DACport LX case.  It's no longer as warm to touch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050MR8CG

If you want your DACport LX to last a few years longer before the capacitors dry out from getting cooked, rest it on this heat sink during use - it makes a huge difference in running temperature.

Just make sure to position your cables so that the full length of the DACport LX (or DACport) is in contact with a couple of fins along the middle of the heat sink.  I say this because when I first put my DACport LX on the heat sink, the cables had it was tipped high at one end and low at the other - preventing heat exchange.  When I positioned the cables so that the full length of the DACport LX was making good contact with the heat sink fins, the temperature of the case quickly fell across perhaps 5 minutes while still listening to music - and it stays cool thereafter, of course.

Mike

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #385 of 515
I have the DacPort and believe to be superior sounding to the Audio Quest Dragon Fly.  Much more analog like, more bloom and larger sound stage. Nice class A output stage.  I use it in my desk top system with:

Jolida FX 10 tube amp

MacBook with iTunes

Sonology Server

Linaeum LX 5 RCA Radio Shack version ( As good as the Magnepan Mini IMO)

Element LFX sub (Based on the Entec)

Old Grado SR 60 Headphones

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #386 of 515
Wondering are there any portable amp/dac aside the DACport / Audinst hud mini / fostex hpa3 that have native 6.3mm headphone jack?

Already have the DACport LX but need other one with volume control option.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #387 of 515
One possibility would be the Audioquest Dragonfly.

Think of this unit as a "weaker" DAC + amp than the DACport.   It does not have a volume control knob, but unlike most USB DACs, it has an analog volume control that's tied to the Windows OS volume control.  

With a pure DAC that lacks this feature, bringing down the OS volume control actually reduces the bit depth, compressing dynamics while lowering the volume.  But the Dragonfly allegedly translates the OS volume to an actual analog volume control circuit within the amp section of the Dragonfly.

Mike

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #388 of 515
Everybody silently enjoying their DACport setups or have you guys started to move onto other things as well?

I've briefly come across the Fostex HP-A3 and Leckerton UHA-6S MKII and now the Meridian Explorer in reviews floating around here. Does anyone here have experience with these products and how they might compare with my DACport (with 1 ohm mod)? 

Not sure what I'd be trying to improve as I'm quite satisfied with my DACport, but hanging around here keeps me curious about what I might be missing out on.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #389 of 515
Quote:
Everybody silently enjoying their DACport setups or have you guys started to move onto other things as well?

I've briefly come across the Fostex HP-A3 and Leckerton UHA-6S MKII and now the Meridian Explorer in reviews floating around here. Does anyone here have experience with these products and how they might compare with my DACport (with 1 ohm mod)? 

Not sure what I'd be trying to improve as I'm quite satisfied with my DACport, but hanging around here keeps me curious about what I might be missing out on.

I personally like my DACport LX much better than the UHA6 MKII DAC. But I use to pair the DACport LX with the UHA6 MKII to great effect (extremely good pairing). I don't see the DACport amp section beating UHA6 MKII in overall quality. That's just my opinion. But the LX as a pure DAC is spot on.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #390 of 515
Quote:

I have the same curiosity.  I read a review where the Asgard was a big upgrade to the DACport in the bass and separation category but I would need to look for a dedicated DAC just as transparent. Since I seemed to have reached my practical peak for headphones, I'm always wondering if an amp upgrade (at a reasonable price point) would make a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back