REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Dec 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #361 of 515
Can you elaborate on the need for this? I use my LX with my Triad L3, Firestone PSU/Silver cable LOD with cPlay and don't have any issues with playback.

Only my 24/192 files. Everything else is in the appropriate format. I always make sure to put it on the proper file playback manually as I don't want it to upsample anything if it doesn't have to. It does downsample on the 24/192 though but still sounds real good. I find upsampling makes things more distant. Makes the sound stage bigger which I don't like. I can see it working on an in your head IEM or can with a small sound stage. But having IEMs that present large sound stages it just doesn't sound right to me.

That's the answer then, you have resampling enabled for when you need it. Originally, I didn't, which is why I had trouble, and once I found a solution, I wanted to share it in case others have the same issue :)

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #362 of 515
Quote:

That's the answer then, you have resampling enabled for when you need it. Originally, I didn't, which is why I had trouble, and once I found a solution, I wanted to share it in case others have the same issue :)

Actually in cPlay I don't have it enabled lol. It just does it automatically via the LX driver included. I guess on other programs it can and will be a problem.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #363 of 515
I know that under foobar ASIO, foobar selects 44.1/48/88.2/96, but I have some tracks at 22.05 (don't ask) and so I needed a resampler to handle those since the LX cannot.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #366 of 515
Quote:
Does anyone here has any experience using the Dacport (amp/DAC) to drive the HE-400? I'm also curious about how this combination would stack up against the ODAC/O2.

Cheers!

Well I'd say you'd be better off with the DAcport LX and the O2 amp. The ODAC is comparable to the UHA6 MKII DAC and IMO the DACport LX just crushes the UHA6 MKII DAC. There simply is no comparison between them. Heck there are even better amps available at reasonable prices over the O2 amp (the UHA6 MKII & Tralucent T1 are two of them) :wink:.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #367 of 515
Quote:
Well I'd say you'd be better off with the DAcport LX and the O2 amp. The ODAC is comparable to the UHA6 MKII DAC and IMO the DACport LX just crushes the UHA6 MKII DAC. There simply is no comparison between them. Heck there are even better amps available at reasonable prices over the O2 amp (the UHA6 MKII & Tralucent T1 are two of them) :wink:.

I'm afraid that the DACport LX + O2 combo would be out of my $250 budget. I have the possibility to get a Dacport (the DAC+AMP version, not the LX) for around $220 which would be around the same price that I can get for the O2/ODAC stack. I was wondering wether the Dacport would have a better SQ after reading so many raving reviews for it.

Cheers!

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #368 of 515
Quote:
I'm afraid that the DACport LX + O2 combo would be out of my $250 budget. I have the possibility to get a Dacport (the DAC+AMP version, not the LX) for around $220 which would be around the same price that I can get for the O2/ODAC stack. I was wondering wether the Dacport would have a better SQ after reading so many raving reviews for it.

Cheers!

The DACport is still a good choice just IMO you give up transparency/resolving power compared to the DACport LX. This is due to the DACports amp section.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #369 of 515
Quote:

Cheers!

I love the DACport LX and it's superior to anything under $300 and a lot of DACs that cost more, but to stay within your budget, you might want to consider getting a Stoner Acoustics UD100 USB DAC (about $50), for use with the O2 amp.  I found the Stoner Acoustics UD100 to be smoother in the highs, yet still very resolving, than the Objective DAC that costs 3x as much.  

There's one thing to note, however, regarding the Stoner Acoustics UD100 - it's USB receiver chip cannot accept 96kHz 24-bit music.  But if you only have 16/44 content, you'll be fine - it's a great DAC for the money.

Mike

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #370 of 515
Thanks for all the replies!

Still I'm a bit confused here. Is the amplifier on the Dacport that bad? I'd be pairing it with some HE400 and they are not that hard to drive (35 Ohms).

The Dacport would be a huge bargain at $225 if the integrated amplifier can drive the He-400's nicely. Also, it would fit my DAC/Amp budget just fine 
smile_phones.gif

Cheers!.

[Edited for clarity ]

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #371 of 515
Quote:

Still I'm a bit confused here. Is the amplifier on the Dacport that bad? I'd be pairing it with some HE400 and they are not that hard to drive (35 Ohms).

The Dacport would be a huge bargain at $225 if the integrated amplifier can drive the He-400's nicely. Also, it would fit my DAC/Amp budget just fine 
smile_phones.gif

Cheers!.

[Edited for clarity ]

I think it should be able to drive your HE400 just fine. At least to my knowledge the DACport LX could drive 600 ohm cans?

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #372 of 515
Quote:

smile_phones.gif

Cheers!.

[Edited for clarity ]

Hi Raskolnnikov,
Our DACport LX is actually using the same exact amp as our regular DACport, only fixed at line level. The only thing that could possibly make any difference is the fact that the signal has a potentiometer in the signal path with DACport. People claim to be able to hear that difference when DACports output level is matched to LX. The difference, if any, is minimal.

-Kenny

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #373 of 515
Quote:
Hi Raskolnnikov,
Our DACport LX is actually using the same exact amp as our regular DACport, only fixed at line level. The only thing that could possibly make any difference is the fact that the signal has a potentiometer in the signal path with DACport. People claim to be able to hear that difference when DACports output level is matched to LX. The difference, if any, is minimal.

-Kenny

Yep, as far as I was able to tell the potentiometer only took out a tiny bit of treble energy and smoothed out the highs slightly vs the LX.  In the end I'd rather have the regular DACport which is more versatile because of the potentiometer. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #374 of 515
Has anyone compared the 10 ohm and 1 ohm versions of the DACport?

Noted:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/473473/review-more-to-come-centrance-dacport-24-96-usb-dac-amp/225#post_7893496
http://www.head-fi.org/t/473473/review-more-to-come-centrance-dacport-24-96-usb-dac-amp/255#post_8373356

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #375 of 515
Quote:
Has anyone compared the 10 ohm and 1 ohm versions of the DACport?

Noted:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/473473/review-more-to-come-centrance-dacport-24-96-usb-dac-amp/225#post_7893496
http://www.head-fi.org/t/473473/review-more-to-come-centrance-dacport-24-96-usb-dac-amp/255#post_8373356

Yes, I had the 10 Ohm and sent it in for the 1 Ohm mod.  Much better control of the bass and seems to be more even in the FR from low to high.  I'm using low ohm custom IEMs (UM Miracles) so I didn't want to color the sound at all.  With higher Ohm headphones you probably wouldn't notice much difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back