REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Nov 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #466 of 515
Wow, less than 1 year and my Dacport is dead. No nothing came after plugged in the cable. White LED does not turn on either. Wonder if you guys has/had same situation as me? Going to warranty it.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #468 of 515
Tried different USB cable/laptop. Not working. :frowning2:

Remembered that last time I left it running with my Macbook lid close (not sure Dacport is running or not), when I came back try to touch the unit feels like you touching faulty IC(integrated circuit). I mean really hot.

Works well until I shutdown my Macbook and to switch on a day after.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #469 of 515
I have the DacPort running into my Fostex TH600 headphones.  I am in awe.  DacPort was very responsive to my questions, and you can now buy the DacPort
for $250 directly from DacPort.  And for the record, I have no affiliation with them.  I use apple lossless and FLAC files, and the sound is just amazing.  Very musical
and I am now convinced that the DacPort with it's DAC and Class A amp built in, sounds so smooth that you would believe you are running a tube amp.

I considered a tube amp, however I took the chance and bought the DacPort due to the splendid reviews, and the advantage of having something that is, indeed,
very portable.  If I travel with my computer, I am assured of great sound.  For your reference, my other equipment at home is a MacIntosh amp and the new Magnaplanar
1.7 speakers with Velodyne sub woofer.  I like an open sound, not a box,  The DacPort allows the Fostex TH600 sound wide open. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #470 of 515
  Thanks zilchOmd.

Now I wonder if they can improve the amp section of the Dacport so that its resolution matches that of the LX - in other words, get closer to the DAC's potential.  Perhaps a Dacport II.

UL

DACport II?

I think they did that with the HiFi-M8 already 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #471 of 515
I jumped on a great deal for the LX.  However I saw that it ouputs a 1/4 in TRS jack.  If I want to connect it to an amp could I just use a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter on my 1/8 to RCA cable, or do I really need a 1/4 to RCA cable?

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #472 of 515
  I jumped on a great deal for the LX.  However I saw that it ouputs a 1/4 in TRS jack.  If I want to connect it to an amp could I just use a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter on my 1/8 to RCA cable, or do I really need a 1/4 to RCA cable?

You can use the 1/4" adapter with your existing 1/8" cable, unless you're a perfectionist like me, then you have ALO audio or Moon-Audio build you a 1/4" to RCA interconnect. Probably very little benefit if your existing cable is a decent quality one.

May 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #474 of 515
Has anyone here heard both the LX and the CLAS -dB? What would be the biggest improvements or differences in sounds I'd hear by upgrading to the latter. Also, are there any other portable (in size like the LX) DACs that would be an upgrade?

May 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #475 of 515
I have not heard them side by side, but I preferred the DACport LX. I also prefer the HiFi-M8 over the CLAS -dB which I did try side by side feeding the CLAS into an Rx mk3?

May 11, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #476 of 515
I have not heard them side by side, but I preferred the DACport LX. I also prefer the HiFi-M8 over the CLAS -dB which I did try side by side feeding the CLAS into an Rx mk3?

Thanks!! Perhaps a little comparison about the sound signature between the LX and the -dB? I really wonder what other (trans)portable DACs better the LX. They really are a great value for the price.

May 12, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #477 of 515
Thanks!! Perhaps a little comparison about the sound signature between the LX and the -dB? I really wonder what other (trans)portable DACs better the LX. They really are a great value for the price.

I would just be giving you impressions based on short term auditory memory, which would not be very accurate. But the thing that stood out the most to me was that the CLAS did not have the detail & microdynamics of the DACport LX.

May 12, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #478 of 515
I would just be giving you impressions based on short term auditory memory, which would not be very accurate. But the thing that stood out the most to me was that the CLAS did not have the detail & microdynamics of the DACport LX.

Great help. Thanks again HeadphoneAddict. I guess it's back to searching!! When I bought the LX, I didn't think it would be this great a value.

May 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #479 of 515
I agree; the LX is one of the best investments in my music I've made. That little device goes with me everywhere (except my desk at home on which sits a Meier Daacord ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back