REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Feb 11, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #496 of 515
[Apologies for the (semi) thread hijack, but thought it better to ask here than to start a new thread.]

Sharing an office nowadays so can't really use my DACport + HD 650 anymore. Anyone got recommendations for a closed-back headphone that pairs well with the DACport? Listening is 80% (indie) rock, the remaining 20% avantgarde/classical/electronic. Also, in general I'm not too keen on bass-heavy headphones, and comfort/weight is also a factor (well, duh :wink: ).

Shortlist after some Googling and Head-Fi'ing:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50(S, X)
Beyerdynamic DT 770
Sennheiser Momentum
Sennheiser Urbanite XL
Shure SRH840
Shure SRH940
Sony MDR-7506

If anyone has experience with <insert_headphone_model_from_list_above> + DACport, I'm all ears. :wink: Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #497 of 515
  Audio-Technica ATH-M50(S, X) - mild V shape sound, highly recommend adding some Shure 840 pads
Beyerdynamic DT 770 - quite bassy, if you go with this get the 250 or 600 ohm version
Sennheiser Momentum - super comfy, bass tilt sound
Shure SRH840 - heavy and uncomfortable, bass tilt
Shure SRH940 - more neutral, still not what I would call comfortable for long sessions
Sony MDR-7506 - lightweight, compact, brighter sound

Just added some thoughts above on a few of those headphones.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #498 of 515
Is there a way to feed the iPod digital output (either the older 30 pin or the recent 8-pin Lightening Connector) by means of the iPod-to-USB connector to the input of the DACport? The USB end of at least the Apple version of these cords is the larger USB plug, not the mini plug that is sort of trapezoidal.

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #499 of 515
Hey -- Not sharing information of commercial nature, but rather of product life-cycle nature.

The current Massdrop sale on DACport may in fact be the last one. Ever.

I'm simply informing. I'm not selling anything or encouraging any action on anyone's part.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #501 of 515
I seem to get a good amount of static when turning the volume knob that seems to lessen the more it's used, but is still present.  No static while playing though.  Does anyone else have this issue?

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #505 of 515
Bumping this thread since the dacport is on massdrop again. We need 10 more people to commit to get it down to $150. Now's the time to bite if you've been thinking about getting this gem.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #507 of 515
How does the slim compare to the original dacport? 
Michael Goodman's reply "DACport had not been updated in over 6 years. Technology moved on  and offers better performance today, of course." just doesn't cut it for me. That's like encouraging people to upgrade to newer gear cos it's always better? Like hell it is. Audio gear is mostly about preference.  

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #508 of 515
  How does the slim compare to the original dacport? 
Michael Goodman's reply "DACport had not been updated in over 6 years. Technology moved on  and offers better performance today, of course." just doesn't cut it for me. That's like encouraging people to upgrade to newer gear cos it's always better? Like hell it is. Audio gear is mostly about preference.  

I'm interested in hearing responses to this as well.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #510 of 515
I currently own the dacport lx and after doing some research, I realize the dacport lx does actually contain the same amp as the dacport inside but is buffered. 
So from my laptop windows 7 or my android lg g3 phone with my headphones directly plug without an amp, the buffered amp section of the dacport lx is automatically on max and so with the absence of a volume control, is adjusted via the digital control on the laptop /android device.
Howeve with the dacport lx connected to a headphones amp, the same digital control is present that effects the volume the same way.
So how do I know for sure that the amp connected to the dacport lx is not just double amping the buffered amp section of the dacport lx instead of completely bypassing the amp section.
I am using the usb audio player pro because my lg g3 doesn't support usb otg native. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back