REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Oct 29, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #586 of 835
Thanks guys. I can't decide if I should get the Concerto or Phoenix SA which is supposed to be very musical. I currently own the Auditor which I love but would like it to sound less analytical and more musical.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #587 of 835

Quote:
Thanks guys. I can't decide if I should get the Concerto or Phoenix SA which is supposed to be very musical. I currently own the Auditor which I love but would like it to sound less analytical and more musical.

You mean Roc SA? Don't see a Phoenix SA anywhere...

Are your phones balanced?

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #588 of 835

Quote:
You mean Roc SA? Don't see a Phoenix SA anywhere...

Are your phones balanced?

Roc SA yes, sorry. No they aren't not but will be if I get a balanced amp. I'm interested in the SA version of Roc since its supposed to be musical.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #589 of 835
How much range do people get on the volume with low impedance phones with this amp set to low gain (such as Grado etc).

The unit I have seems to only give me about 3 steps of control before it gets far too loud.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #590 of 835
There is definitely something wrong with your amp (or you have some sort of super human bat ears). With my Grado SR225i  I can reach up to step 50-55 ( out of the 63 steps) before things get too loud on low setting.

Quote:
How much range do people get on the volume with low impedance phones with this amp set to low gain (such as Grado etc).

The unit I have doesn't seems to only give me about 3 steps of control before it gets far too loud.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #591 of 835
Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Having a browse through the thread I see that the low gain is pretty close to unity gain? The other thing which I couldn't find in the manual is volume LED - is each position marked by it lighting up? What about position between the LED being lit up?

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #592 of 835

Quote:
Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Having a browse through the thread I see that the low gain is pretty close to unity gain? The other thing which I couldn't find in the manual is volume LED - is each position marked by it lighting up? What about position between the LED being lit up?

I think on is one step, off is another, but I am not 100% certain and no longer have my concerto to verify.

You should be able to open the amp up and change some jumpers to lower the gain.

50-55 on a grado with the stock concerto settings I had is a very scary thought...

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #593 of 835

Quote:
Roc SA yes, sorry. No they aren't not but will be if I get a balanced amp. I'm interested in the SA version of Roc since its supposed to be musical.

Well if you wan't colouration, you won't find it with the concerto. Dead neutral and crystal clear. And, no it does not mean sharp and analytical... just plays what the music is.

Which phones are you using?

EDIT: saw the HD 600 the only one on your list I have owned. The HD 600 get a significant kick in the rear with the concerto. The HD 600 is the headphone that really let me know the concerto was all that as it absolutely came alive. If you are finding your HD 800 too analytical, I don't think a concerto would be the upgrade you are looking for. Can't speak for the roc either though.

The concerto has been said to drive the hell out of the HD 800 though.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #595 of 835

Quote:
Are you inferring that it would be very loud? I'd be happy with being able to at least use the range till 12 o'clock, right now I can't even get to 9....

Well going to chase up to see if I can get my unit replaced.

With my denons I never went over 9, usually closer to 8.

I never had a grado at the same time as my concerto so I can't say. Yeah at 55 that is deafening...

Open it up and see if yours is set to high gain or something. IIRC there should be a setting for a gain of 0.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #596 of 835
I have opened mine up and all the jumpers are sitting in place, so it is sitting in lowest gain setting. Hmm well that sound pretty similar to what I have, which is kinda a bummer - I've been spoiled with the amazing volume control on my pico slim, so I was hoping the Concerto would be similar in that regard for desktop use.

It sounds really damn good though, but I really want to stay away from having to use goldenjacks.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #597 of 835

Quote:
I have opened mine up and all the jumpers are sitting in place, so it is sitting in lowest gain setting. Hmm well that sound pretty similar to what I have, which is kinda a bummer - I've been spoiled with the amazing volume control on my pico slim, so I was hoping the Concerto would be similar in that regard for desktop use.

It sounds really damn good though, but I really want to stay away from having to use goldenjacks.

which grados do you have? Maybe they just sound overly bright with a neutral amp like the concerto and at lower volumes you perceive them as louder?? do you have any other headphones to use as a control group with your pico? Volume control on the concerto is superb... but if it maxes out at like 3 steps that is an issue.

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #599 of 835
Rayk, What is your source? is it outputting the standard 2.2Vrms or is it hotter( I am using a Stagedac). Not being able to go beyond 9 o'clock, even with  Grado or Denon doesn't sound right. Could anybody else can confirm this? or is there something wrong with my ears?
I would contact Jan if I was you.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #600 of 835

Quote:
Rayk, What is your source? is it outputting the standard 2.2Vrms or is it hotter( I am using a Stagedac). Not being able to go beyond 9 o'clock, even with  Grado or Denon doesn't sound right. Could anybody else can confirm this? or is there something wrong with my ears?
I would contact Jan if I was you.

with my denons I don't go past 9 just for comfort. I could go higher if I wanted but it gets real loud real quick. With my LCD-2 I can go up to 12 o'clock if the songs aren't that busy, but usually I have them around 10.

I don't have my concerto though anymore to test any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back