REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Feb 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #31 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmagus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's DIP8 - it will be easy to change, yes?

AD797BRZ are only in SOIC availlable - DIP8 are only AD797A's

you must use an adapter SOIC to DIP

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #33 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, I somehow missed this post. Yes, the Concerto worked very well with my D7000's - they sounded excellent together - the D7000 benefit from the Concerto's clean but present treble and tight bass control. I can't say for sure that this means it would pair well with the D2000, but it seems that it should.

Which output impedance have Concerto?
Near zero or 120 OHM? I own a D7000 and my experience, the nearer to zero the impedance, the dryer the bass. What's your experience?

Some times ago I had a Grace m902 for test. I search a good DAC (with more inputs USB, TOSLINK, S-PDIF) with/without a build in HA (DIY or not).

OT - one for DIY is Buffalo II

If I could get a Concerto (or a CORDA STAGEDAC) for test I would say »yes«
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #34 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the new crossfeed circuit sound by the way compared to the ones found on a headfive for example

the crossfeed from Grace m902 don't persuade me
AFAIK Grace use the crossfeed from Jan.

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #35 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must use an adapter SOIC to DIP

(...)
The crossfeed from Grace m902 don't persuade me
AFAIK Grace use the crossfeed from Jan.

Thx for info.

About crossfeed - crossfeed in Swing is splendid.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #36 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the new crossfeed circuit sound by the way compared to the ones found on a headfive for example

Unfortunately I do not have them to compare, but I found the Crossfeed to be highly enjoyable at times, and unnoticeable at others. Depends on the recording. I can't really comment on how it's improved though, because I have nothing to compare it to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FritzS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which output impedance have Concerto?
Near zero or 120 OHM? I own a D7000 and my experience, the nearer to zero the impedance, the dryer the bass. What's your experience?

I don't know for sure. If I had to guess, I would say close to zero ohm, but I will have to ask Jan.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #37 of 835
I have Jan's crossfeed in my DAc, which is supposed to be his best so far (at least according to Dr. Meier himself), but I only use it with older recordings, otherwise I usually leave it off. I have been using headphones for too long and strong stereo separation doesn't bother me, every crossfeed has its trade off (even the good ones) - it does smear the finest details by nature.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #38 of 835
Heve you ever had or auditioned a Corda Cantate, Skylab? I wonder how this amp compares to the Concerto. The DAC (of the Cantate) would be a nice extra for this kind of money.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #39 of 835
Thanks for the review Skylab as always very informative.
I'm still undecided whether going for it or going instead for the Lehmann Black Cube Linear. Have you got any opinion about it? I'm using Graham Slee Solo 2009 at the moment with the PSU1 and I am delighted but the spendaholic in me is pushing hard to spend some money before the next elections here in the UK. The buggers are thinking in increasing VAT to 20% so I better make my move soon!

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #40 of 835
Can someone compare the latest jan meier crossfeed to the latest foobar naivesoftware crossfeed? To me the naive is already almost perfect.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #41 of 835
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heve you ever had or auditioned a Corda Cantate, Skylab? I wonder how this amp compares to the Concerto. The DAC (of the Cantate) would be a nice extra for this kind of money.

I have, but not in far too long to be sure of any comparisons. That said, I think the Concerto is a pretty significant step up in sound from the Cantate, based on my memory of it.

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #42 of 835
Thanks, Skylab! I guess I'll have to save up for a decent DAC too.

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #45 of 835
Well boys, I had an impulsive moment and I ordered the Lehmann BCL in silver. I ran out of patience waiting for the Concerto. I was expecting to order it this month but is still not available. I hope I do not regret it! I would have matched my Meier STAGEDAC perfectly well.
Anyway, I'll see how the Lehmann compares with my GS SOLO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back