[Review] Meelectronics A161p, the most satisfying IEM I've ever heard
May 23, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 51
I recently read PCMag's abomination of a review and hope it doesn't push off potential buyers. First off the reviewer doesn't explain his set-up, max volume is irrelevant without a basis for it. With my O2 amp almost any headphone I have, most over $200, would have their drivers destroyed at max volume creating heaps of distortion, secondly the reviewer has no knowledge of recording quality and it's proven with his bass test track being The Knife, whom have never been known for their audio quality. The review on Pcmag is an abomination and it's a shame it's the top Google choice as the reviewer knows nothing and it's a very discouraging review.

May 23, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 51
Quote:
I recently read PCMag's abomination of a review and hope it doesn't push off potential buyers. First off the reviewer doesn't explain his set-up, max volume is irrelevant without a basis for it. With my O2 amp almost any headphone I have, most over $200, would have their drivers destroyed at max volume creating heaps of distortion, secondly the reviewer has no knowledge of recording quality and it's proven with his bass test track being The Knife, whom have never been known for their audio quality. The review on Pcmag is an abomination and it's a shame it's the top Google choice as the reviewer knows nothing and it's a very discouraging review.

I'm just curious to how he is listening at full volume.  The sharp vocals would drill my ear drums past 1/3 :p  Luckily I don't listen that loud anyways, nor should anyone for that matter. 

To the max volume comments, you have to remember PC Magazine is really mainly for the mainstream and computer people.  All of which generally do listen at more than needed volumes.  Many that read PC Magazine listen at max.  I don't, but there are many that do.  Two different audiences.  I'm just curious how the heck he can listen at that level :p

May 23, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #20 of 51
^^without knowing his setup there is little one can accrue from his review unless one is looking the review for ****s and giggles.

I never go way beyond the comfortable listening levels. Wonder what one would be thinking when cranking up that volume knob to max, the more the merrier ?

Noticed he recommended Skullcandy and an admirer of boomy bass.

May 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:
^^without knowing his setup there is little one can accrue from his review unless one is looking the review for ****s and giggles.

I never go way beyond the comfortable listening levels. Wonder what one would be thinking when cranking up that volume knob to max, the more the merrier ?

You'd be surprised at the number of teenagers and young adults that do this.  I don't myself, but a few people in my family do (regardless of how deaf I tell them they'll become) as well as the majority of my friends.

May 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Noticed he recommended Skullcandy and an admirer of boomy bass.

Even with an iPod as a source I can't understand how someone would listen to these on max volume, the listening level is just not enjoyable.

May 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Even with an iPod as a source I can't understand how someone would listen to these on max volume, the listening level is just not enjoyable.

I don't understand it either.  You'd have to be in their shoes I guess :p  I think Tyll says that they get stimulated by the sound, rather than than stimulated by the actual music. 

May 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #24 of 51
I would have never read that review if someone had not pointed it out here as I don't put any weight on that publication … “Some distortion on deep bass tracks at maximum volumes keeps the A161P from being a masterpiece.” “At maximum volume, the A161P suffers from some serious distortion on deep bass tracks.”

Focusing on distortion at max volume isn’t very smart IMO, there are other "cons" that would be more important to mention. BTW who the heck listens to any IEMs at max volume without blowing out their ears. IMO many other IEMs even more expensive ones will distort with certain music at max volume. While I agree that there is a lot of competition in that price range, he failed to do MEE any justice. He could have mentioned the A151s as an alternative in the last paragraph as they’re more price competitive, even if they're a step below they're still very nice sounding BA IEMs. Another point is his review isn't very detailed IMO, just a brief overview.

May 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:
I would have never read that review if someone had not pointed it out here as I don't put any weight on that publication … “Some distortion on deep bass tracks at maximum volumes keeps the A161P from being a masterpiece.” “At maximum volume, the A161P suffers from some serious distortion on deep bass tracks.”

Focusing on distortion at max volume isn’t very smart IMO, there are other "cons" that would be more important to mention. BTW who the heck listens to any IEMs at max volume without blowing out their ears. IMO many other IEMs even more expensive ones will distort with certain music at max volume. While I agree that there is a lot of competition in that price range, he failed to do MEE any justice. He could have mentioned the A151s as an alternative in the last paragraph as they’re more price competitive, even if they're a step below they're still very nice sounding BA IEMs. Another point is his review isn't very detailed IMO, just a brief overview.

The general public really doesn't want a detailed review, they normally don't understand it.  That's why I do a general overview of sound in the first paragraph, then go into detail after. 

I did answer the question about max volume above.  There are many teenagers that like to blast their IEMs.  For some odd reason, they have ears of steal.  I don't have such ears, and would never put myself up to that dangerous setting :p  So I agree with your comments, just want to put the other perspective out there.

May 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #26 of 51
Just a small update on things.  I have posted my review.  It's available here: http://www.ifans.com/blog/48922/

My main caveat with the sound really isn't the sound, it's more or less the cable.

May 24, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #27 of 51
Nice review. I have my pair but no chance to listen to them, as I am currently burning in and enjoying a new pair of CKM500'S.

May 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:
Nice review. I have my pair but no chance to listen to them, as I am currently burning in and enjoying a new pair of CKM500'S.

That would be an interesting comparison. Similar price range, armature vs. dynamic, big company vs. smaller one. Sounds like they are both combine good sound and enjoyability as well.

May 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

That would be an interesting comparison. Similar price range, armature vs. dynamic, big company vs. smaller one. Sounds like they are both combine good sound and enjoyability as well.

If I'm not mistaken, you'd also end up comparing two different sound signatures. 

May 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

When you get the chance could you PM me your impressions of the CKM500? Especially in comparison to the A161p, the Ad900, and Ad2000.

@tinyman, I like the pictures, good review as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back