[REVIEW] Maximo iM-590 *56K!!!*
Jun 24, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 30
Excellent review as always ClieOS! The iM-590 seems to be a very promising entry, with the sound quality and design to match. It's also great that Maximo decided to ditch those terrible blister packs.

The one thing I'm concerned about is the build quality of the jack/plug covers. I own a pair of iM-290 earbuds, and have had issues with the metal cover just slipping off of the jacks and plugs of the extension cable. I had to RMA once through Newegg.com, but it seems they don't carry them anymore. My second pair's extension has an insanely tight jack, to the point that it's extremely difficult (nearly impossible) to plug anything into it. It's great that Maximo offers the lifetime warranty, but I'll wait for my iM-490 to arrive from Woot.

EDIT 6/24 1450 EDT: Just received my pair of iM-490s (SmartPost
rolleyes.gif
) and I must say first of all that the build quality is excellent. I also find that the design appears much more understated and classy in person, as I think the pictures make the phones look cheap and tacky; pics don't do these justice. The sound out of the box is pretty good, though I'll take the recommendation of 8-10 hour burn-in before I make final judgement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd buy it just for that included case to use with my other IEMs lol
or do they sell it seperately?
tongue.gif

Maximo Carrying Case for iMetal Isolation Earphones
Seems to be the same, but this one is labeled "Made for Sansa," but hopefully that won't bother you.
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed on your mega review thread that these compare favourably to the much praised NE-7M.
What are the significant differences in your opinion, ClieOS?
Is this a direct contender for the best ~$50 IEM (as the NE-7M holds it atm)?
I'm tlaking usual new retail price.

NE-7M has warmer sound and bigger bass, but doesn't present the fine detail that well. iM-590 is more detail, neutral and accurate in comparison. NE-7M soundstage is wide from side to side but not that great at portraying depth, while iM-590's soundstage is not as wide but has better depth and airiness. Physically, they are both well made and packed, but iM-590 edges out on accessories and one extra year of warranty. Even with $10 more, I still think iM-590 is a better deal.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NE-7M has warmer sound and bigger bass, but doesn't present the fine detail that well. iM-590 is more detail, neutral and accurate in comparison. NE-7M soundstage is wide from side to side but not that great at portraying depth, while iM-590's soundstage is not as wide but has better depth and airiness. Physically, they are both well made and packed, but iM-590 edges out on accessories and one extra year of warranty. Even with $10 more, I still think iM-590 is a better deal.

Thanks. Where can you buy it cuz I can't find it anywhere on the 'net?

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Where can you buy it cuz I can't find it anywhere on the 'net?

Maxwho.com, which also sell iM-590 via their eBay listing.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #20 of 30
Here is a simple mod to improve the stock eartips isolation.

modtips.jpg

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #23 of 30
I recieved my iM-490 from woot last week. It has seen probably about 24 hours or more of use so far.

I have to say, these are very nice IEMs. Build quality is phenominal, they have a great feel to them. And they sound very nice. I honestly cannot justify spending money on a higher end IEM after listening to these.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #24 of 30
Can't wait till my im590 will arrive!
Thanks ClieOS for the very helpful review that helped me pick up these IEM.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #25 of 30
can anyone compare these with head direct re2???? i am very confused which one to buy out of these 2. i can get maximo im 590 for around 50 $ but i can get head direct re2's for 29 $ now. there is a sale going on at head direct. i was leaning towards maximo im 590 beacuse of the 2 year warranty and the extras that come alongwith it. and it has got positive reviews too. but re2's come only with 90 days warranty. and not with all the extras of im 590. plz help me guys.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverlightning_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone compare these with head direct re2???? i am very confused which one to buy out of these 2. i can get maximo im 590 for around 50 $ but i can get head direct re2's for 29 $ now. there is a sale going on at head direct. i was leaning towards maximo im 590 beacuse of the 2 year warranty and the extras that come alongwith it. and it has got positive reviews too. but re2's come only with 90 days warranty. and not with all the extras of im 590. plz help me guys.

The iM590 was clearly better in every way than the RE-2 when i had them both.
I just gifted a pair to my cousin while i still use my pair regularly.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 30
My iM-590s came in on Tuesday morning. Bought them off Amazon for the fantastic price of $48.70 with free shipping and they arrived in less than 3 days (ordered late Saturday evening!). I have > 30 hrs of burn in on them and I have to say that I'm ecstatic about them. I am new to high quality headphones of any type, but I truly didn't think it was possible for this type of sound to be reproduced from such a small driver.

I have limited experience with other earphones, but I received with the Maximos a pair of JVC FX66 "Air Cushions" and I already owned Koss KEB24, Koss SparkPlug, and Phillips SHS800. I am continuing to burn in the FX66s because I am unimpressed with them. The KEB24s are actually pretty good and I like them by a significant margin over the JVC (so far). The SparkPlugs are junk and the Phillips are muffled. KEB24 >> FX66 > SHS8000 >> SparkPlugs.

Now the iM-590s are absolutely fantastic in every conceivable way. They are comfortable. They stay put. They are built tough, and they bring music to life. I hear separate instruments not just songs. Their use invokes Shock and Awe. The Maximos are not just twice as good as the KEB24s, but I'd rate them 2.5-3X better (and the KEB24s are acceptable to me).

I have a pair of RE0s on order at the $79 price because they are supposed to be so good that I could not resist there sale price. However, I just can't believe that I will be able to gain that much more SQ with the upgrade or be any happier than I am with these iM-590s.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 30
Get ready to be happier, based on the RE0 reviews. I've only owned the RE2s and the RE3s (which were a prototype for review). The RE0 bass will not overwhelm, but I think you are in for more happiness. Just a hunch. The 590s are very good for the price, but the RE0s are originally $199 phones, so there should be no comparison.

Of course, you may prefer the 590s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back