[Review] Klipsch S2 (new! added Klipsch S4 impressions)
Dec 21, 2010 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jaqueh

500+ Head-Fier
In my quest for the perfect sub $40 in-ear earphone, sadly I have fallen short again with these Klipcshes. 

I bought these earphones off of amazon a while back for just $25, based almost entirely on its looks and the brand name since i couldn't find many quality reviews for them. Some background: my mom was a violinist and my dad is an opera singer so it can be fair to say that expectations of musical quality has basically been engendered in me from the start. Through my life, I moved from cheap sony earphones, to awful skullcandy and vmoda earphones, and now finally, to shure and audio technica headphones. I love classic prog, all forms of metal, jazz, and some, but still worth mentioning, D&B and dubstep.

Build Quality: impressive plastics. there is almost no metal to be found on these earphones but the olives, the earphones themselves, and even the cord is made from high quality materials. Klipsch didn't cut many corners here.

Bass: extension is exceptional. However, most of the drum tracks in various sounds I tested just have no impact. Also, the individual plucking of bass guitar strings is hard to detect, but the bass guitar's frequencies are definitely more than audible. 

Mids: warm and all the frequencies are there, but it just doesn't sound not present. voices sound muffled and just unnatural.

Treble: the treble is sparkly and a bit too bright for my taste, which makes it difficult for me to listen to because treble is hard to control on an ipod.

Detail: just plain bad. Once the track becomes complex, particular aspects of the song just become lost or subdued. 

Amplification: I didn't drive them through any amp as i didn't own any, but i doubt they would make the headphones sound any better.

Burn-in: didn't bother to burn them in because i bought these headphones used, and I could see that there was some earwax in the clear olives (gross!) so i'm sure its previous owner played with them plenty.

Overall, I would say that the headphones sound signature is closely matched by mee's m6, which i hated for its painfully harsh treble, but are a lot less detailed. The soundstage on the m6 was slightly recessed but the one on the S2 i would best describe as being bumpy or uneven or unpleasantly full of surprises?. These headphones sound incomplete, as though whenever I use them to listen to my favorite tune, i'm just getting a vague interpretation of it.

(4/10): great build quality for the price; unimpressive sound quality. Wimpy sounding headphones!

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 7

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 7

[size=medium]
I bought the Klipsch S4 hoping that they would be better, but sadly they aren't. The first glance i caught of these babies after I opened the box made me so much want to like them. If I decide to keep them, these are probably the most beautiful and well built earphones I have ever owned, but the sound quality and price are making me think otherwise. (1) The highs on these earphones are amongst the weirdest I have ever heard. They are painfully harsh at the top end, but really muted where it matters. Weird, I know. (2) Maybe I'm too used to the forward mids on sennheiser headphones or my 440s, but I find the mids to be very recessed. (3) Bass is quite good, extension is deep and that midbass hump is exactly what metal needs. (4) Soundstage and detail are both really bad, however. Instruments and voices get jumbled together really easily. They just do not sound high quality. 
[/size]

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 7
I agree with you. The S4 is really a bad sounding earphone.

I really wonder why another camp says otherwise. Maybe a different production batch?

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

I really wonder why another camp says otherwise. Maybe a different production batch?

Well..............here is another thats believe the S4s sound great.  Ive had alot of IEMs and these sound just as good or better to me.  *shrugs*

Its all personal and subjective...........like religion and politics. 

By the way, if the S4s are so bad sounding, how do they manage to win so many top 10 IEM and editors awards?  Its not like there isnt any other IEM competition out there that the reviewers are ignoring. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Quote:

Well..............here is another thats believe the S4s sound great.  Ive had alot of IEMs and these sound just as good or better to me.  *shrugs*

Its all personal and subjective...........like religion and politics. 

By the way, if the S4s are so bad sounding, how do they manage to win so many top 10 IEM and editors awards?  Its not like there isnt any other IEM competition out there that the reviewers are ignoring. 

they just fall short in so many aspects, to my ears at least, and i believe that i have heard music from many sources, high and low end. Also, i believe that the S4s are better at rendering a certain genre of music (electronic, dance, techno, hip-pop) than it would with metal or classical. So it also depends on what music you listen to.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

I think the production batch theory could explain things. I have some very old S4i's and they sound fine. Even stand their own compared to my RE0's. Not nearly as clear or detailed, but they hold their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back