Review: K701 vs RS-1 vs HHF-1
May 4, 2006 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

grawk

Itinerant Miscreant
I'm not really a wordy reviewer, but it boils down to maker's signature sounds, really. The K701s are very nice, good bass, good detail, good space, very hi fi. The RS-1s have better energy, and that amazing midrange that nothing else has. The HHF1s are somewhere in between, with grado energy, and the additional space that the deeper cups brings to the table, but without the lush rs-1 midrange.

May 4, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
Interesting. I've found the RS-1's to be more spacious than HHF-1's, with the HHF-1's sounding much more "weighty" and full. The RS-1's definitely win on detail though....

I heard the K701's at a meet and I like them as well.....but they're not a Grado, that's for sure.

The fun thing about hhf1s is they all have their own personality
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 31
So we have the true Grado antagonist. Huh, Sennheiser? Nah, AKG it is!

May 4, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
Interesting. I've found the RS-1's to be more spacious than HHF-1's, with the HHF-1's sounding much more "weighty" and full. The RS-1's definitely win on detail though....

Having compared these headphones for quite some time now, I would probably describe them like this:

I find the RS-1 a more analytical/serious can. Sound seems "narrower" and more focused. I agree about detail, they easily win here. Bass goes deeper and seem a bit more controlled.

HHF-1`s i find more open, airy and warm, I`m feeling more surrounded by the music. They sacrifice some of the analytical qualities of the RS-1 for a more fun sound. I find myself enjoying the music more with these since the RS-1 makes me focus on details.

I cant seem to find the perfect pads for the RS-1`s. They are a bit thin sounding with regular bowls and too compressed and bassy with flats. I currently prefer them with reversed bowls, but it`s still not a perfect match.

The HHF-1`s sound perfect with regular bowls, no need for swapping.

They both pack a big punch in the bass department, the difference is that the HHF-1`s have almost the same impact with bowls as the RS-1`s with reversed bowls, giving you a bigger soundstage without losing out on the bass.

I probably suck at describing how a headphone sounds, but those are my thoughts on the subject. I really enjoy both cans, but i find myself spending more time with the HHF-1`s at the moment.

May 5, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 31
I love my HHF-1's but in the end, I keep reaching for my 650's and HE60. A part of me wants to sell them and pick up the GS-1000.

I think Bobs hit it head on with his comparison of the HHF-1 and RS-1. It pretty much mimics my feelings. Given the choice between the RS-1 and HHF-1, I think I would always pick the HHF-1. They are just more fun to listen to.

May 5, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 31
This is killing me! What are the HHF-1's?

May 5, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
ASLMGHeadOTL32.jpg

ASLMGHeadOTL32011.jpg

Does that "Y" connector fix the grado's ominous twisting problem? I might just get my grados headphiled [size=xx-large]JUST[/size] for that reason
rs1smile.gif

May 5, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 31
Wow, I've never heard an HHF-1, but it must sound great if that many prefer it to the RS-1. I'd be confused about what to do if the GS-1000 wasn't coming out. I think (no guarantee) it will take Grado to the next level. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

One thing for sure, those HF-1s look damn nice.

What's the HH stand for?

May 5, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321

What's the HH stand for?

HHF-1 = Headphile Head-Fi 1
wink.gif

May 5, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I'm not really a wordy reviewer...

biggrin.gif

Thanks for your review. It has made it very clear for me that I should go straight for the RS-1. I had the SR325i until a few days ago. The heavy cups and brightness just wasn't for me. I then picked up a pair of K701 and the SR325i was gone in a flash. Is the RS-1 more balanced sounding? Does it have the same SR325i bass that I loved and now miss? Is the top end much better controlled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back