Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hf1 looks really nice

I think you meant to say HHF-1, which is not a stock HF1
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #20 of 31
edit

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #22 of 31
I sold my k701s and rs1s ages ago, and have been happy sticking with my woodied hf1s. The reason I sold the 701s was that they just weren't compelling, I never felt the urge to listen to them. They were "perfect" but not involving. The RS1s I LOVE in specific instances, but the vast majority of the time I preferred the hf1s. It might be different if I heard them balanced, and one day I will have a vintage brown leather band pair. But for me, the HHF1s are the best fit of any of the headphones I've had for my preferences with my gear.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #24 of 31
Not tight enough bass on hf1s? Wow, that's not something I could even imagine. I guess amplification makes all the difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not tight enough bass on hf1s? Wow, that's not something I could even imagine. I guess amplification makes all the difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe. But most Grado fans that have heard HHF-1's and RS-1's will readily admit that the RS-1's sport a tighter bass (though they definitely have less bass overall).

The bass on these two are totally different with the HHF-1 sounding much better on the first listen. But as time went on, I felt the RS-1's had more to offer (better bass, instrument separation, and detail IMO).

That was my problem with the K701's as well. They sounded fantastic, and had enough bass for my taste (a common complaint of others). But in the end the bass was too smooth without the defined impact of the Grados.

Edit: I do still own some HF-1's...so we're not in total disagreement
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #27 of 31
big bump...

FWIR it's like the total opposite of the RS1, so take that into account. If you need the money and want a similar sound, look at the lower Grado's...

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K-702 + RS-1 = The best setup.

Wow, it's your setup as well! What a coincidence. Your setup, is the best one! IN THE WORLD

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #30 of 31
For the record I have both a K701 and a RS1. After comparing both of them, I prefer the sound of the Grado. It has a more accurate and defined sound stage and timbre. That does not ay that the 701 is not a nice phone. It is, but it is not in the same league as the RS-1..............

It is also my observation that the RS-1 really shines when matched with a high quality amp and source material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back