Review: K701 vs 2006 DT880
May 1, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 96
Great review - thanks!

I am wondering how headphones can change the location of instruments and soundstage after the electronic signal reaches it???

You are the first one that's mentioned this soundstage anomoly out of all the 701 comments. Could it be an issue in your system? Come to think of it, I notice a certain large vertical and horizontal soundstage on my K1000s, but it is accurate - just a little different than most phones.

I have some on the way, so I'm not arguing but wondering.

I think the 880's sound awesome, but I gotta have some bass! Thanks again for the review.

May 1, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 96
Excellent review!
These types of write ups, though probably very time consuming for the author, really help me in my understanding of headphones that I am unable to try out due to living in the boonies.

Thank you ASR!

Ralph Moeller
Grass Valley, CA.

May 2, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 96
Great review. As someone who owns the DT880 & Senn 650, & is considering the 701 your thoughts are very helpful. For me I generally prefer the 650 though sometimes miss the high frequency detail of the 880. Switching to the 880 I miss the full warm sound of the 650. The 880 often sounds thin in comparison.

If I could merge these 2 into one can I would be there. Some say the 701 is that can, but I still have my doubts. Especially reading thoughts as yours. I am one that has to try to make up my own mind, but am leaning to trying other cans before the 701.

May 2, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #19 of 96
I'm confused as to how a soundstage as presented by headphones can be "unnaturally wide"...I always assumed headphones compressed the soundstage, therefore making it unnaturally narrow, given it's harder for a set of headphones to reproduce an accurate soundstage that comes from a well positioned loudspeaker setup. If anything the soundstage on the K701 is closer to a more natural, realistic loudspeaker-type soundstage.

Great review nonetheless.

May 2, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
GaryB, the K701 has much more bass than the DT880, and much more balance, while offering nearly as much resolution. If that doesn't take you off the fence, I don't know what will.
tongue.gif

Not sure how I missed this earlier...

You're certainly trying to knock me off the fence in one direction... interestingly it's in the opposite direction that you chose to go.
wink.gif

Any comment regarding your perception of loss of control by the K701 at high volumes?

May 2, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #21 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
GaryB, the K701 has much more bass than the DT880, and much more balance, while offering nearly as much resolution. If that doesn't take you off the fence, I don't know what will.
tongue.gif

...isn't it obvious to your ears that the K701 has an unnatural presentation with the wide soundstage and the way it places the instruments? That was one of the first things I noticed at 0 hours of burn-in, I was like
eek.gif
How do you know it doesn't change the presentation from what's on the CD?
wink.gif

I have a nice little pair of studio monitors to check the soundstage against
biggrin.gif

I found it to be more natural than the DT880 in that regard. The DT880 gets a little "foggy" in soundstage with many instruments playing, but i'm very allergic to things sounding wrong in headphone soundstage so for many other people this isnt a problem.

Anyway there is no "truth" or right way about soundstage, not on speakers and especially not on headphones. With speakers some people like a wider soundstage and set them up in a 1:1,2 ratio (that setup is found in many studios too), most set them up 1:1 and many others dont ever care
biggrin.gif
Also every speaker sounds so different in soundstage, even studio monitors.

May 2, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #22 of 96
Thanks for the excellent review... this confirms my suspicions that (A) the new DT880 is not that greatly different than the 2003 version, and (B) the K701 is essentially a better K501. In neither case has any revolution occured, only evolution. I think I know now (as well as possible without hearing them) what each headphone would sound like to me, and confirms my desire to sell my K501s and eventually get the K701 to complement my DT880s
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 96
Yes it's a great review and i enjoyed to read it, but i have also owned the DT880 before and i come to quiet opposite conclusions on many of his findings
confused.gif
Maybe what accounts most to is the reviewers source and going practically ampless. Both the headphone out (unless it's a serious mofo! which not even accuphase for example have) and the sm3 dont have enough juice for both headphones.

May 2, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #24 of 96
I know the SuperMini-3 is far from an ideal amp for either headphone, but it's the best I've got right now!
wink.gif
Also I know my source isn't entirely up to par either, but at least it's good enough for me to pick apart some differences between the two headphones.

GaryB, this morning I turned up the volume on the K701 to check for loss of control but this time I had to crank it louder to hear it (since the time of my review they've gotten an additional ~40 hours). I had to turn it up so loud my left ear started reacting (not tinnitus, another hearing problem I have that develops only at super-high volumes like at a dance club when in front of the speakers). I think the fact they can go loud enough to make my left ear react speaks for itself, that's approaching 110+ dB territory! Anyway, it seems the highs weaken around the edges of the sounds, and staging loses its power and effect.

With respect to the soundstage aspect of the K701, it's definitely there but is something that requires a careful listen. Uninitiated listeners won't notice it immediately, it's definitely not a "drastic" change to the music or anything like that. It makes the K701 sound very spacious, which can be good or bad depending on preference. Personally I think it's just really cool the way it spaces things out, it makes for a hell of a listen!

May 2, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #25 of 96
Another pat on the shoulder Asr. Thanks for your time on that review.

I recently decided between the 701 & 650 in favor of the 650 to complement my 880.

Both are keepers for sure, but I'll always secretly want the 701 too.
evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #26 of 96
Quote:

GaryB, this morning I turned up the volume on the K701 to check for loss of control but this time I had to crank it louder to hear it (since the time of my review they've gotten an additional ~40 hours). I had to turn it up so loud my left ear started reacting (not tinnitus, another hearing problem I have that develops only at super-high volumes like at a dance club when in front of the speakers). I think the fact they can go loud enough to make my left ear react speaks for itself, that's approaching 110+ dB territory! Anyway, it seems the highs weaken around the edges of the sounds, and staging loses its power and effect.

Thanks, Asr. It sounds like they'll play "loud and clean" enough for me.
icon10.gif

Easy on that ear...
basshead.gif

May 3, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #28 of 96
Nice review. In terms of the extension in the very low end, the amp makes a big difference. My new GCHA goes waaaaay deeper & stronger in the bass with the DT880 than either the Gilmore Lite or HA1-MKII could. It is not a subtle difference.

May 3, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #29 of 96
Excellent write up! I have the K701, and love it dearly, enough to not even own a Senn!
tongue.gif
I have the new DT880 coming in today, so I hope things are consistant with your findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back