[REVIEW] JVC FXZ-100: Fun-O-Phile
Jan 20, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #16 of 43
Nice review eke, superbly done.

I agree with you on the nasal mids, especially in the upper mid/lower treble where some songs give me a shrill, but to me the bass here is the best, as I don't hear any bleeds whatsoever

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #17 of 43
All in all a great review, and i respect and appreciate the amount of time you put into it.  Thanks for posting it.People find their bliss where they may, and I am all for it.  Music is to be enjoyed, and whatever brings you closer to that goal is a good thing (with the usual caveats- I'm talking gear here people! 
angry_face.gif
)  

That said, the only consideration I would address is whether a source that can "go loud enough" is actually driving its load correctly.  I have used my 200s with my Galaxy S3, and while it certainly plays loudly enough, on average, I can hear it clipping trying to drive 96dB/16ohms.  For comparison, the GR07s are 105dB/50 ohm, and the MH1Cs I couldn't find any specs.  I also have SM3s and ASG1.2s, which are in the over-100dB club, and are much easier to drive and are better matches for lots of portables.

Many of the 'issues' eke seems to have with the JVCs seem related to drive capabilities. I listen to my 100s (I have both 100s and 200s) amped by my Centrance dacmini fed from a sonos via coax digital (it's my couch system.  I hear none of the issues you bring up, but i also listen primarily to acoustic jazz.I also want to point out that i am not a spec-head, but think that impedence and sensitivity are extremely important specs to look at when matching, so to speak, an amp with a pair of speakers, i.e., dap to iems.  

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #18 of 43
Thanks guys.

Quote:
That said, the only consideration I would address is whether a source that can "go loud enough" is actually driving its load correctly.  I have used my 200s with my Galaxy S3, and while it certainly plays loudly enough, on average, I can hear it clipping trying to drive 96dB/16ohms.  For comparison, the GR07s are 105dB/50 ohm, and the MH1Cs I couldn't find any specs.  I also have SM3s and ASG1.2s, which are in the over-100dB club, and are much easier to drive and are better matches for lots of portables.

Many of the 'issues' eke seems to have with the JVCs seem related to drive capabilities. I listen to my 100s (I have both 100s and 200s) amped by my Centrance dacmini fed from a sonos via coax digital (it's my couch system.  I hear none of the issues you bring up, but i also listen primarily to acoustic jazz.I also want to point out that i am not a spec-head, but think that impedence and sensitivity are extremely important specs to look at when matching, so to speak, an amp with a pair of speakers, i.e., dap to iems.  

FWIW, I used my unamped iP4 for the review over my other sources, because it's the flattest HPO I own.

Check out this article, and scroll to the bottom.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-review-490p7.php

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:
Thanks guys.

FWIW, I used my unamped iP4 for the review over my other sources, because it's the flattest HPO I own.

Check out this article, and scroll to the bottom.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_4-review-490p7.php

Thanks for the heads-up and the link.  I have no issue with calling this a review of the JVC-iPhone combo, and how that combo sounded with those tracks, compared to the other iems.  I was suggesting that an iPhone may not be the ideal device to drive the JVCs.  I looked at the link you provided, and it is an RMAA test, which i i understand correctly, involves placing the device under test in a loop with a  computer 'sound device' and comparing the results with the loopback without the device under test.  Problem is, this has nothing to do with the performance of the the device under test's amp driving a 'speaker', i.e., iem or headphone.  I don;t think you really can use RMAA for that, and if you can, the testers pointed out that the measured performance was worse.  They then mention that they now also test with akg 32 ohm headphones, without mentioning which ones, and how the results compared.    That's my point.  

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up and the link.  I have no issue with calling this a review of the JVC-iPhone combo, and how that combo sounded with those tracks, compared to the other iems.  I was suggesting that an iPhone may not be the ideal device to drive the JVCs.  I looked at the link you provided, and it is an RMAA test, which i i understand correctly, involves placing the device under test in a loop with a  computer 'sound device' and comparing the results with the loopback without the device under test.  Problem is, this has nothing to do with the performance of the the device under test's amp driving a 'speaker', i.e., iem or headphone.  I don;t think you really can use RMAA for that, and if you can, the testers pointed out that the measured performance was worse.  They then mention that they now also test with akg 32 ohm headphones, without mentioning which ones, and how the results compared.    That's my point.  

The results were very similar across the board with my different sources. The MH1C is actually more power hungry than the FXZ-100 to my ears. I really don't think I had any issues with fit or driving capabilities.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #21 of 43
Interestingly, I could not find any specs on the MH1C - but did not look all that hard.  I'll have to hit up ericp10 for an audition of his gr07s, if he hasn't sold them yet. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:
Interestingly, I could not find any specs on the MH1C - but did not look all that hard.  I'll have to hit up ericp10 for an audition of his gr07s, if he hasn't sold them yet. 

Yep, those buggers like their power.

If Eric already let his go, I'd be happy to send you mine for a week or so.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

You can listen to the gr07 and the MH1C (if you haven't already). Let's meet up soon. 
beerchug.gif

I'll bring the TDK MA600 (magnetic armature) too. Curious about what you will think of them.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #24 of 43
sounds like a plan.  work is starting to get back to normal.  Maybe within the next week or two, we can give it a whirl.   Still wondering about the ASG2 as well, but i really do love the 100s and 200s.  Also playing with op amps ion my Leckerton 6 mkii.  ah, decisions, decisions......

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:
sounds like a plan.  work is starting to get back to normal.  Maybe within the next week or two, we can give it a whirl.   Still wondering about the ASG2 as well, but i really do love the 100s and 200s.  Also playing with op amps ion my Leckerton 6 mkii.  ah, decisions, decisions......

Just let me know. A nice Canuck head-fi member is in the Chi for business and he's going to give me a pair of TDK MT-300s on Tuesday. Can wait to hear what the hoopla about. This ATH-CKN50 is making a solid impression right now. My next big purchase will probably be the Vsonic V7007. Dale and the ASG-2. I need to talk to Dale. I wanted these a long time ago but now I'm losing interest as I seemed to be delayed in ordering a set. No doubt, however, you will love them base on the demos I've heard, fzman. We'll see. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #28 of 43
Eke2k6, your review / this thread is a sanctuary away from the overblown hype. Very concise, objective and informative. Thank you.

We've previously heard signatures similarly... which tells me the fxz100 are not for me. It'd be great if (ever you had time) you could link the other meaningful reviews buried in that other mess of a thread.

God job!

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #30 of 43
delete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back