Review: JH Audio JH11Pro- Doppio Basspresso
Jul 12, 2010 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FYJX

Previously known as MaoDi

Here's just part of the review, to read the full review including the "audio/sound" along with pictures, head over to Compudio.ca at this link: JH Audio JH11 Pro: Doppio Basspresso

JH Audio JH|11PRO

Previously on Compudio we gladly had Jerry Harvey, founder and owner of JH Audio send us their mid-range model JH10X3 Pro monitor consisted of triple drivers with a passive three way crossover to top the cake off. Today, we have a very similar monitor, that JH11 Pro. However rather than a single arm design in the low frequencies, the JH11 boasts a dual subwoofer. A Four driver, three way monitor is one step up from the JH10X3 Pro, priced at also a step up, a even $50 USD more making it $850 USD, the JH11 Pro.

Specifications
Variation: Any colour, Any artwork.
Transducers: Four Balanced Armature Drivers
Configuration: Passive 3-Way crossover (Single High, Single Mid and Dual Low)
Frequency Range: 10 Hz-17 kHz
Impedance: 18 ohm
Sensitivity (1mW): 119 dB SPL
Accessories: Replaceable braided cable, Water-Proof Polycarbonate Case, String tighten pouch, Cleaning Tool, Manuals
Price: $850 plus shipping and ear impressions

Packaging and Accessories (7.5/10)
Last time we had the JH10X3 Pro with us, the packaging was rather disappointing, however this time around the JH11 arrived in a relatively neat packaging. The monitors unlike when JH Audio first offered their Carbon Fiber box is now packaged with a 3.6x4.8x1.6 inches water-proof Otterbox case for you to carry your monitors within. The case is made of nearly 1/8 inch thick polycarbonate, means it's not only water-proof, but extremely durable as well.

JH Audio also offers a soft, string tightening velvet pouch to store your monitors in on top of the hard-case, just to prevent any possibility of scratching these beautiful hand-crafted monitors. On top of the relatively neat and nice case, similar to many other monitor company, JH Audio also provides a simple cleaning tool for when debris, dust, and wax start to build up in the bores--keep those tubes clean! Though JH Audio doesn't provide the largest accessory collection with their premium monitors, quality is without a doubt present.

Build Quality (10/10)
Now, some may remember that previously when we had the JH10X3 Pro on here for review, we were slightly disappointed with the assembly of the monitor. This time around though, we have to say, the build quality is without a doubt holding up to the $850 asking price of the JH11 Pro.

JH Audio made this specific pair of JH11 from a digital scanned impression from our last working with JH Audio. JH Audio uses the clients personal digital scanned impression when the client is purchasing their second product from JH Audio, where the first purchase product will be made of the silicone impression coming straight from the clients audiologist. JH Audio unlike many monitor makers on the market today use hard, hypoallergenic, colour retaining acrylic shells rather than soft silicone.

Jerry Harvey has been making monitors for over a decade, his knowledge on monitors and build quality really shows when we look at his products. The shell of the monitor is lusciously smooth, bump free, and extremely consistent throughout. There is neither a finger print, or scratch on the monitor when they arrive, we can see that each monitor is treated delicately within the lab eve during the long assembly process where the shells are constantly being worked with. Moving on to the faceplate, where quality again shines through. The faceplate is casted with extreme accuracy, and sealed to the body of the shell with supreme craftsmanship. The closing of the monitor is hardly noticeable, with a beautiful shine along the seam and the surface of the monitor where it then hides the closing even further.

JH Audio takes endless pride in their work, where they go beyond and above in terms of just consistency is stunning. Among the many monitors we have seen, there may be another two or three on the market that has the quality characteristics of our JH Audio monitor we have today. Unlike many companies on the market today, JH Audio has taken their time lining up and making sure each of the dual bore in each monitor is consistent, and symmetrical to the position on the opposite monitor. The high frequency bore is always on the inside of the canal, where the low frequency bore is always on the other.

Artwork wise, despite not having much on our JH11 monitors, the simply "JHAUDIO" logo laser printed onto our monitor was more than enough for our conclusion...simply the bestwe have seen. The width of each line making up the words is of a fraction of a millimeter, despite the miniscule size, the resolution of the print is the smoothest we have seen! We are sure that if we requested the a map of the world to be the artwork of the monitors, JH Audio wouldn't have a problem printing the names of the continents on the map as well. Overall, a superb craftsmanship from JH Audio.

Cables (9.5/10)
As JH Audio hasn't changed the design of their braided cable, we can simply refer to our JH10X3 Pro Review for our thoughts on their cable:

"JH Audio has gone for the usual twisted cable that custom monitors come with. Unlike Westone, JH Audio has gone for an OEM cable which other manufacturers use like Earsonics. Despite being a cable shared with other manufacturers, the cable is durable and flexible with near to no Microphonics. The clear cable that I have tested is very similar to Westone and Ultimate Ears clear. The clear cable is extremely soft, with a reduced friction insulation compared to the black cable offered by JH Audio and other companies. Clear cables tend to be soft, and harder to tangle due to the nature that there is an extra layer of silvery fabric like coating on the wires, making the cable slightly thicker than the usual black and having less friction. Strain reliefs are very well done and shrunk to the cable, cable management is a little tube that works as well as the little bead offered on Westone’s ES cable. The cable’s microphonics are rather well done, extremely low. Touching or the occasion of cable rubbing against clothing doesn’t surge a loud noise through the cable causing disturbance."

Fit (10/10)
As we didn't have any fitting problems with our monitor from JH Audio last time, we had no complaints about the fit. The extra long canal offered by JH Audio in comparison to other companies offers the most impressive isolation we have experienced yet. Despite having the sealing capabilities, the comfort of the monitors is also extremely well. In fact, this time around, JH Audio made the monitor even more flush to the ear compared to our previous monitor which is a definite cosmetic bonus. Overall, a flawless fit from JH Audio once again along with a bonus.

Conclusion
The JH11 being the third inline of the JH Audio family has lots to offer at a fairly affordable price of $850, the JH11 gives the crisp high frequency notes, clear vocals in the mid-range, and a heart throbbing low-end that many crave for. Also coming from one of the longest manufacturers and respected monitor engineers in the industry today, the JH11 comes not just with sound quality but also a incredible build quality and fantastic customer service. As we had the JH10X3 last time, we mentioned the lows were a little boomy, and little overpowering and uncontrolled at times. However, the JH11 was the simple solutions from JH Audio, at just $50 more we would agree that it's well worth the step for a more refined low-end and a more engaging mid-range and overall music experience. Some things that may be holding back buyers from the JH11 is like last time, the simply lack of accessories. Overall tough, we thought that the JH11 was as impressive as it gets in this price range, and we could recommend this monitor to anyone who's looking for a engaging music experience in any pop, hip hop, metal, and more modern styles of music along with wanting to monitor on stage for drums, of a bass guitar.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 15
Very nice review.  Glad to see that JHA is able to maintain their quality consistently throughout their lineup, instead of just focusing on the flagship models, such as the JH13 and JH16 Pros.

Thanks for posting this.  Did you have a chance to compare the JH11Pros with the TF18 Pros?  I'm not a big fan of the stock JHA cables, although they are decent quality for the price, the cable quality itself is nothing to brag about.  

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 15
The TF18 Pro offers a wider soundstage, and a less low-end focused sound compared to the JH11. Highs are much cleaner, and crisper, and the mid-range is more potent and rich. Overall, the TF18 is a better monitor. But it does cost more/

The cable is just like any other stock cable out there. Westone might have a little advantage in flexibility, and Unique Melody's own cable is lighter and softer. But overall, they're all machine manufactured and i don't have really anything to complain about. But yes, there is also nothing to brag about. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 15
The Miracle offers a wider, and more spacious soundstage. Between the Mage and the JH11, i would have to say it's down to personal preference, the Mage tramples the JH11 in the highs and the high mids while the JH11 offers a much more famililar and powerful low-end. I gave the JH11 a Editors Award because it was just that much better than the JH10X3, and was very good for most genres at just a $50 premium. The Mage despite being a extremely fine monitor i didn't give an award because the sound signature of the Mage is hard to swallow for a lot despite myself loving them. 

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 15
As we see in this picture, the driver that is facing us is the "dual low" driver, the line in the middle is the joining of two drivers.

The driver we see in this picture is the largest of all of drivers, it is the "mid-range" driver. The mid and low drivers are put back to back. 

If we look closely for the monitor on the left, we can see a smaller rectangular box in the stem/canal of the monitor. This is the "high" driver.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 15

^^ I never tought the rectangle near the cable input is the high driver due smaller in shape,
Thanks a lot MaoDi
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 15
Your line confused me a little, so i did a bit of editing to show the high driver as it is a little hard to see. 

I outlined the high driver on the left monitor in Red. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 15
Almost one week since I received my JH11, listening fast songs specially on rock music directly from sansa clip+ I feels quite harsh on all of frequency and on bass drum seems overpowered and boomy sometimes. Also I kind of missed the the "dryness" feeling that comes from guitar distorsion on westone um3x. Any suggestion of what portable amp I should take to make JH11 produce nice guitar distortion as I mentioned above?

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Almost one week since I received my JH11, listening fast songs specially on rock music directly from sansa clip+ I feels quite harsh on all of frequency and on bass drum seems overpowered and boomy sometimes. Also I kind of missed the the "dryness" feeling that comes from guitar distorsion on westone um3x. Any suggestion of what portable amp I should take to make JH11 produce nice guitar distortion as I mentioned above?

Thank you for posting this, miprasetya.
Hope it works out for you.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
The TF18 Pro offers a wider soundstage, and a less low-end focused sound compared to the JH11. Highs are much cleaner, and crisper, and the mid-range is more potent and rich. Overall, the TF18 is a better monitor. But it does cost more/

The cable is just like any other stock cable out there. Westone might have a little advantage in flexibility, and Unique Melody's own cable is lighter and softer. But overall, they're all machine manufactured and i don't have really anything to complain about. But yes, there is also nothing to brag about. 

Hi MaoDi,

Great Review! =)

I have a Westone 3 and a Triple.fi 10 PRO, and I want to get a custom. I think my Westone 3 has some bass reverb, and a too energetic sound and I love the sound signature of my Triple.fi, they have a clean sound and a nice soundstage. I like the bass too, but would be nice to get a little more impact in that area. The Maximum that I can spend is $850.00. Which custom would you recommend, that has the sound signature like the Triple.fi with a more impact bass and no fatiguing sound? 

Edit: I'm reading what you wrote about the TF18, and do you think this would be what I'm looking for?

Thank You,
   Rodrigo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back