Review: JDS Labs O2 (Black edition) + O2/ODAC discussion
Apr 18, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #481 of 543
  I advocate keeping the 6.5X gain - it comes in handy when using 1V (or less) sources and HDR recordings (Live music, Movies, some Video Games). Particularly if you are using the O2 with headphones in the 90 dB efficiency range. If you think that will NEVER be the case, unity and 2.5x will probably be great.

Remember that if you wanted, you can use the windows volume control (for example), you get your levels where you want them with whatever phones you are using. Also, you can take the O2 from 2.5X to 6.5X to 1X, 2.5X if you want, but you can't "add" gain later!

Hmm, I am getting the ODAC+O2 combo so my source will always be the same. Either that or I'm misunderstanding you. :p 

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #484 of 543

im not sure how advantageous opamp rolling would be... the whole circuit was built around these specific ones, and the measured performance has been proved and tested to many times... just my 2 cents..

agree with you in some points ..... but may be you want to alter the sound signature .... would want more bass presence ... warmer sound ,,, or more intimate sound ....opamps offers that kind of tweaking ... it is not something like a day and night difference but it is noticeable .... and even the same opamp sound different from implementation to another 

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #485 of 543
im not sure how advantageous opamp rolling would be... the whole circuit was built around these specific ones, and the measured performance has been proved and tested to many times... just my 2 cents... 

I agree. But this may give me something to do. :wink: I first have to make sure my relatively new O2 is fully functional before attempting any modifications. But then again, the O2 sounds great the way it is now.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #487 of 543
  agree with you in some points ..... but may be you want to alter the sound signature .... would want more bass presence ... warmer sound ,,, or more intimate sound ....opamps offers that kind of tweaking ... it is not something like a day and night difference but it is noticeable .... and even the same opamp sound different from implementation to another 

I agree. But this may give me something to do.
wink.gif
I first have to make sure my relatively new O2 is fully functional before attempting any modifications. But then again, the O2 sounds great the way it is now.

rolling opamps, or tubes for that matter, or whatever other hardware modifications, will ofcourse effect the sound and may well be part of a hobby, granted, no argument. if thats what you wanna do - go for it. im just saying, that of all the amps to mess around with, i find the choice of the O2 to be strange. its built to be a high performance, cheap alternative to otherwise way more expensive gear. the whole argument around it is whether or not it could actually achieve "perfect linearity", or "perfect neutrality" if you will. many people will tell you that it does, and as you can see, im not the only one raising my eyebrows, its just a little strange is all... after all the fuss and argument, its become somewhat of a "cult" product, and most of its buyers want that "neutral" response its so famous for...

all that being said - do whatever you want mate, i was just throwing in an opinion 
beyersmile.png

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #488 of 543
I have considered your post. I agree. I decided not to roll my opamps. This would be to what advantage? This would be questionable at best.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #489 of 543
If you love how the stock O2 sounds, then there is no real reason to swap op-amps.
I actually only did it because I don't love how it sounds with the Q701 and some brighter headphones.In this case I don't care about having the best measurements. I only care about what my ears tell me. Some minor coloration is OK.
I also found myself almost never using the O2 and op-amps (in most cases) are dirt cheap!

Swapping op-amps on the O2 is easy and all it requires is a few minutes. You don't even need to buy a chip puller. You can use a toothpick(!) or some pliers (not suggested).

So far i've tried the OPA2227 and LM4562. OPA2227 is nice, but seems better for the Q701 than HD-650. It seems to be a little warmer than the stock op-amps.
The LM4562 is a no go with the stock Q701, but I love it with the modded Q701 (which is warmer/bassier). Most say it's a brighter op-amp.

The differences are minor really. For something like a DT-990 or grado SR-325i swapping to the OPA2227 or OPA1234 might be a good idea.

I think you'll probably void your warranty though.

BTW I think the stock O2 is great with warmer headphones like my HD-650 and DJ100. With my O2, the HD-650 sounds exactly how it should without much change at all.

Haha, if you're nuts you could try getting the OPA627 to work with the O2. I don't think it's possible. I think that must be one of the most expensive op-amp there is. It's only single channel and you'd probably need one of those adapters. I don't even know if those fit on the O2. $34 for a single channel op-amp chip!!

The OPA2134s are just $4.50 each.

One i'd like to try is the AD8397. Not sure if it'd work and it'd require soldering onto an adapter.

I'm new to op-amp swapping and it's kind of a cheap & fun experiment.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #490 of 543
I agree...changing ops amps in an O2 to me is kind of defeating what its design is all about, but its easy to do....

The O2 is about having a linear transparent amp, straight wire with gain.....

Enjoy..

A.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #491 of 543
Note if your wanting something different, the new ODA has been completed over at DIY Audio.....agdr has redesigned the amp into something that might have
been what a desktop version of the O2 might have been....

I just got all my parts and am starting on it this weekend..

~~The current version uses 3 NJM4556AL chips per channel in parallel (6 op amps total per channel), no longer uses an OPA627 at all, uses LME49990 chips for the gain stage, and many other changes.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/229934-version-o2-desktop-amp-oda.html

A.

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #494 of 543
Thanks for the comment, yes it takes a while to get used to if your used to a warmer source.

Look out in February for more from me on JDS labs products, including the ODAC

Do you feel like brighter headphones at the top like the HP100s and the DT 990 pros(250ohms) would sound unkind with this pairing of the ODAC and the O2, and, have you ever tried the CDAC+(ODAC better isolation and power supply)

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #495 of 543
I doubt there will be anything wrong with the pairing
The O2 if very neutral so if you like the headphones all the O2 will add is gain.

Not tried the CDAC. ODAC is great but I prefer the iDAC from iFi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back