Review: JDS Labs O2 (Black edition) + O2/ODAC discussion
Sep 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #421 of 543
I think what I'm most concerned about, now that it has been verified that the O2 is pretty much neutral (this claim has been reaffirmed by many sources, including you-know-who), is that I have an equally neutral DAC, and I am hoping the ODAC is equally neutral. If it isn't then I will get the O2 but with a different DAC. 

Is the ODAC neutral? Or where should I look?

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #422 of 543
  I think what I'm most concerned about, now that it has been verified that the O2 is pretty much neutral (this claim has been reaffirmed by many sources, including you-know-who), is that I have an equally neutral DAC, and I am hoping the ODAC is equally neutral. If it isn't then I will get the O2 but with a different DAC. 

Is the ODAC neutral? Or where should I look?

Yes definitely! No audible colorations to any of my headphones at all.
It's comparable to the Schiit Modi.

ODAC doesn't sound bright/warm/cold etc. Well for that it depends only on the recording but it's not coming from the DAC.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #423 of 543
Ashade,

Whats not perfect about it?

A.

Usually not a problem but as already mentioned:

Well, not in some "extreme" cases, for example:
- with headphones that are unusually hard to drive (e.g. the HE-6 with very dynamic classical music at high SPL the power output might simply not be enough)
- some IEMs can have audible (barely, a few tenths of a dB) FR variations even with the low output impedance of the O2
- channel imbalance at low volume with very sensitive headphones/IEMs - this is perhaps the most common problem
- clipping in the gain stage can be an issue sometimes, depending on the source output voltage and the available gain settings; this can, however, be worked around by reducing the volume at the source

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #424 of 543
That was probably what "this guy" was trying to demonstrate with the ODAC, that a good implementation is not necessarily expensive.

DACs can be just as transparent (except maybe for the rare golden eared person hearing a - very minor - difference between reconstruction filters for Red Book audio, which, however, can be changed with software upsampling), but there is a lot of misinformation leading many to the belief that there are huge audible problems unless you spend a lot on a "high end" DAC.

ODAC doesn't sound bright/warm/cold etc. Well for that it depends only on the recording but it's not coming from the DAC.

^ +1

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #425 of 543

Yeah, I checked out the Modi on behalf of your suggestion. :) I think I still want to go with the ODAC, and I am taking into account your claim that it's a neutral DAC. I will be further researching this. :) 

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #429 of 543
With the cans I use there is never a clipping issue at the levels I listen to....I dont want to loose any of my hearing capabilities!!

IEM's arent in my world...so no worry there...

HE6 not going there as well....so for me

the O2 is "perfect"......

A.

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #431 of 543
it sounds slightly warm in comparison. C421 wasn't made to drive the T1 really.thank you
24.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #432 of 543
Kit version is awesome! May have to get one one day :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back