Impedance: 69 Ohm @ 1 kHz
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20 kHz
Cord: 0.60m + 0.90m extension cord
Weight: 10 grams
Plug: Gold-Plated Stereo 3.5mm Mini-Plug

SJ03.jpg

SJ04.jpg

Packaging, Accessories, and Build Quality
One thing that can be said about all JAYS' products is the consistency of their quality. s-JAYS, though not on the higher end of JAYS' lineup, still packs a box full of goodies that will put some big brand names to shame. There are the earpeice itself, the extension cable, five different sized eartips, a foam tips, some filters, an airline adapter, a signal splitter, and a small leather case. One thing I'll like to see is a shirt clip, which I think should be included in all IEM package these days.

Despite the bulky looking of the earpiece, it is actually very light. The strange alien / bee / bug design doesn't affect the its comfort at all. In fact, I find it more comfortable than q-JAYS. The two pieces cable is a bit too long but not really of any major concern. Unlike the q-JAYS, which I have issues with the cable weight and the inability of the earpeice to hold securely in the earcanal, the s-JAYS is holding itself plus the cable firmly in place. The only design flaw I can see is the Left / Right marking on the earpeices. They are on the strain relief and tiny in size. I almost missed them entirely on the first inspection and wonder how i could tell which side it is. My suggestion to JAYS is, use small red / blue color dots on the different side of earpeices instead of tiny L/R marking.

Like all JAYS' IEM, s-JAYS uses the same filter paper to block out earwax from getting into the nozzle. It has been suggested many times (from other threads) that the filter paper may actually have done its job too well and often gets clogged up too easily. Beside getting more filter papers, I'll suggest those of you who has a lot of earwax switch to foam tips, which seems to prolong the filter life. Of course, you can always try to keep your ear canal as clean as you can
biggrin.gif

SJ05.jpg

SJ06.jpg

SJ07.jpg

SJ08.jpg

[size=xx-small]A comparison to s-JAYS' big brother, the q-JAYS.[/size]

Sound Quality
I gave the s-JAYS a standard 50hrs of burn-in before the review (like I did with all IEM I reviewed), but I didn't notice any major change in sonic signature (perhaps it is too subtle for me to tell, but I won't know). The SIREN balanced armature transducer, which I believe is made by Knowles Electronic, is advertised by the manufacture as to "maximizes bass performance" - and I agree. s-JAYS by far has the second best bass performance on any single balanced armature IEM I have heard of, out-shined only by Philips' SHE9850. Though the bass is big, it is not the deepest. The prominent mid-bass tend to overshadow the rest of the bass frequency (and this is where SHE9850 has done better). Nevertheless, the bass performance is still impressive and commendable.

Mid on s-JAYS is warm and slightly congested, even sounding a bit recessed at times. It gives a more mellow signature to the overall tone. Strange enough, it also gives me the impression of more distance on the lateral side than on the depth, making better separation yet not as good on soundstage. In some sense, it actually gives me the impression of an earbud fitted closely to the ear canal.

Treble is a bit roll off. There are still a little fine detail but it doesn't stand out much between the strong bass and the warm mid. The good side is of course there is no sibilance to speak of, but the lack of sparkle and fine detail might not be what you are looking for.

On extra note, I tried a few portable amp with s-JAYS and find the improvement really worths the time. In general, the mid is lifted more up-front and less congested. Speed, soundstage and detail are also improved. It seems to perform closer to what i would associate to how balanced armature would sound (and perhaps that's just a personal taste). Though I won't say s-JAYS is anywhere near the level of difficult-to-drive, I do recommend trying it with an amp if you can.

In all, I'll describe s-JAYS sound signature to be warm, mid centric, laid back and very smooth - not very much on detail but have a good bass performance.

s-JAYS.jpg

Conclusion
s-JAYS is a very curious sounding IEM. It doesn't sound like typical balanced armature based IEM yet it is not quite dynamic (moving coil) sounding as well. It gives me the impression of a hybrid especially when it is unamped. When amped, it does sound more "balanced-armature'ish". Thought not very difficult to drive, I do feel s-JAYS benefits from the extra power of an amp. JAYS has been marketing the s-JAYS as their lower end entry class, and I do think they have priced it just right for its SQ (U.K. price is about US$80, last I checked). It is definitely a good choice for stress free long listening session, and the alien / bee / bug shaped earpeices are a plus for those who want something unique.

For a quick sum up, you can read this

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 18
Thanks for this review.

I personally realy like these IEMs and would recommend them to any1 that enjoys a nice amount of bass.
They do sound better amped though, I'm currently using them on my FiiO E5 amp and that was quite an improvement on the soundquality compared to running them straight out of my iPod.

Bought the Denon AH-C751 yesterday from kjk1281 and im looking forward to the day they arive, curious to hear how they sound compared to my current S-Jays.

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 18
Wow that was the first post outside of ClieOS' OP! Surprising. The s-Jays never did catch on.

Was just mentioning it to someone yesterday, the Siren drivers kinda disappoint me. They don't seem to deliver real good treble. They can give more punch in the right configuration. They also may be too big to easily do a dual driver phone. Would be nice for a dual or triple configuration with the Siren as the low end driver and the micro armatures for the mids/highs.

Seems we'll only see the driver for inexpensive Chinese branded phones. But with dynamic driver phones getting better, like the R03 for example, the future of that driver seems very limited.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 18
Ha, I thought no one will ever reply to this thread. I agree the driver in s-JAYS will make an excellent bass driver. The $80 price point does make it (and quite a few other IEM) hard to survive in the current market. It is still an overall good products, just the wrong time to hit the market. IIRC, one of Shure SE1xx model also has the rounded BA driver, but I am not quite sure if it is a Siren or not.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 18
I do agree with you guys, but I still enjoy these earphones alot and they have served me well.
And ofcourse, here in head-fi land there is always something better.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review as always, not sure how i missed it the other day though

Posted on 03-31-2009. Hardly 'the other day'
biggrin.gif
. But I agree, nice review.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review as always, not sure how i missed it the other day though

The other day plus about 365 more
biggrin.gif
!

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 18
       Clieos can you give me some more hint about this. I bought the brainwavz M1 but there is preorder delay so i cant stop thinking about this. Amazon has them for 22gbp. Do you remember if they are comfortable? I read , many people mention that although comfortable they easily fall from the ears.
Also, have you tried the vmoda vibes 1? how do you compare with them. I wont spend money on a similar sound to the v-modas vibes1.
I bought them for 15$ but i find them very uncomfortable, and the sound is good, but too warm, (muddy) basscentric and not really enjoyable.
      everyone's opinions are welcome

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
       Clieos can you give me some more hint about this. I bought the brainwavz M1 but there is preorder delay so i cant stop thinking about this. Amazon has them for 22gbp. Do you remember if they are comfortable? I read , many people mention that although comfortable they easily fall from the ears.
Also, have you tried the vmoda vibes 1? how do you compare with them. I wont spend money on a similar sound to the v-modas vibes1.
I bought them for 15$ but i find them very uncomfortable, and the sound is good, but too warm, (muddy) basscentric and not really enjoyable.
      everyone's opinions are welcome

First of all, I don't think you will find any SQ upgrade going from M1 to s-JAYS once you get a chance to listen to both. If that's a concern then you should stick to the M1 order for now. I keep all my IEM so I am pretty sure that I find s-JAYS fairly comfortable (*I have average size ears). It does come with 5 different sized single flange eartips (SS, S M, L, XL) and a pair of JAYS foam, so I would imagine find the right size of eartips to use shouldn't be a problem at all, not to mention JAYS eartips are pretty high in quality. Talking about build quality, though not that M1 has a bad build quality, JAYS' simply has better-than-most build quality. It is just one of their strength. If you are not particularly like a warm, smooth and bass centric sound, my suggestion for you is to wait for the M1, as s-JAYS might not be your cup of tea.

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
First of all, I don't think you will find any SQ upgrade going from M1 to s-JAYS once you get a chance to listen to both. If that's a concern then you should stick to the M1 order for now. I keep all my IEM so I am pretty sure that I find s-JAYS fairly comfortable (*I have average size ears). It does come with 5 different sized single flange eartips (SS, S M, L, XL) and a pair of JAYS foam, so I would imagine find the right size of eartips to use shouldn't be a problem at all, not to mention JAYS eartips are pretty high in quality. Talking about build quality, though not that M1 has a bad build quality, JAYS' simply has better-than-most build quality. It is just one of their strength. If you are not particularly like a warm, smooth and bass centric sound, my suggestion for you is to wait for the M1, as s-JAYS might not be your cup of tea.

Your right. I will wait for the brainwavz which i got a mail that have been shipped btw. They look so appealing but i dont want another pair of v-moda vibes.
Did you have a change to review a pair of vibes?

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Did you have a change to review a pair of vibes?

No. It is severally overpriced locally so I don't want to break my bank over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back