[Review] InEar Stage Diver 3 - An experience
Jul 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #226 of 786
Giving demo or first impressions is perfectly acceptable. That is virtually every second thread. It is fine to be enthusiastic but please do not make demands of others in the community. Please also do not allow your enthusiasm to prevent you from reading posts properly. Members are intelligent enough to read a given post on its own merits. Yes the 1plus2 does wow (or impress if you prefer
wink.gif
) a lot of people who have heard the soundstage, detail and separation. Every element and instrument rendered separately in their own space yet cohesively put back together in one piece of music. Last time that happened was the one week home demo of the Invicta Dac.

Many including myself go on a journey. If I had a blank slate yesterday, I would rule out purchasing the SE535 and PFE232. Then ask for the clarity of the 4.Ai to be transported onto the SD3 for an instant buy at the price-point
etysmile.gif

The main point of inviting the forum member to my place was to demo his AK120 anyway. The fact he owned the SD3 was a nice bonus and to satisfy curiosity. I might even be tempted to buy it off him if it were not for the fact I only have one pair of ears
smile_phones.gif

So come on, take a step back. You cannot try and run people out. The site belongs to everyone.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #227 of 786
Quote:
Giving demo or first impressions is perfectly acceptable. That is virtually every second thread. It is fine to be enthusiastic but please do not make demands of others in the community. Please also do not allow your enthusiasm to prevent you from reading posts properly. Members are intelligent enough to read a given post on its own merits. Yes the 1plus2 does wow (or impress if you prefer
wink.gif
) a lot of people who have heard the soundstage, detail and separation. Every element and instrument rendered separately in their own space yet cohesively put back together in one piece of music. Last time that happened was the one week home demo of the Invicta Dac.

Many including myself go on a journey. If I had a blank slate yesterday, I would rule out purchasing the SE535 and PFE232. Then ask for the clarity of the 4.Ai to be transported onto the SD3 for an instant buy at the price-point
etysmile.gif

The main point of inviting the forum member to my place was to demo his AK120 anyway. The fact he owned the SD3 was a nice bonus and to satisfy curiosity. I might even be tempted to buy it off him if it were not for the fact I only have one pair of ears
smile_phones.gif

So come on, take a step back. You cannot try and run people out. The site belongs to everyone.

Well said mate, totally agree. 
beerchug.gif

Apologise for my words previously.
Stu

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #229 of 786
Now I just need reespa to report back with his SM64 vs. SD3 comparsion, a proper ASG2 vs. SD3 comparsion and someone who tells me how the SD3 sound with metal/rock and classic tracks (I'll probably rent a pair next month, so I guess I'm going to find that out myself).

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #230 of 786
I've spent around four hours listening with the SD3. iPod classic > Wadia 171i transport > Burson Conductor > SD3

First (very brief) impressions:

- Build quality: rock solid. These are not going to break easily! I really like the understated glossy black shells. Very nice braided and flexible cable, no microphonic noise. Plug adaptor also seems very well made.

- Comfort & fit: I've never had a custom, but of all the in-ears I've experienced (my previous was a Sennheiser IE8), the fit is truly incredible. Even reading the reviews beforehand I was still surprised by how large it looked when I opened the box, but the shells are contoured so that they should fill as much space in the concha part of the ear as possible. It makes it easy to get a good seal every time. External noise is pretty much eliminated. After a few moments adjusting the ear guides on the cables, it's quite unobtrusive. Obviously this will be different for different ears, but for me it's hard to imagine an IEM that fits like a custom more than the SD3, other than real customs.

- Sound: Wow................ that bass!! Tremendous extension and detail in the low frequencies. Anyone with a taste for thunderous, powerful bass is likely to be happy with the SD3. But the great thing is that this doesn't overpower the rest of the sound, at least to my ears. Yes, the bass is strong, but the quality is such that it only dominates where it's supposed to. There is no over-exaggerated rumble and no muddying of the mids and highs, though its presence can always be felt in the background. I played several complex and fast tracks and transient response seems effortless. There is no doubting that these IEMs are extremely technically proficient across the entire frequency range.

Initial conclusions: Boy am I delighted I got these before they sold out and increased in price! Because in my mind they are seriously worth every penny I spent. The SD3s will definitely not be to everyone's tastes. Those who favour flat frequency response will need to look elsewhere. But if you are willing to let go and submit yourself to the sound that the SD3 provides, then you're in for a treat.

I'll need to take a bit more time to completely familiarise myself with the tone to make sure this isn't just new-toy-syndrome, but the soundstage and level of immersion is easily, easily comparable to my full-size high-end headphones.

I will probably take some pics later but to be honest, I just want to listen to these a little more first.. 
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #231 of 786
The sd3 is addictive and it only gets better until the sd3 reveals his full potential. It takes some hours, don't judge the sd3 on the first impressions(critical spot somewhere around 150-250 Hz).

Like you said: submit yourself to the sound.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #232 of 786
Nice impressions Mr. 1666 :wink:

Glad you like them!
Can you give an example of one of these "several complex and fast tracks"?

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #233 of 786
Finally some people that finally bought the SD3 that finally are hearing what I am hearing.

Fast DnB? Noisia-Split the Atom. Done.

Edit: An electronica based IEM that are like small speakers. Turn up the sound, because you can folks
Hard to price this sound.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #234 of 786
Quote:
The sd3 is addictive and it only gets better until the sd3 reveals his full potential. It takes some hours, don't judge the sd3 on the first impressions(critical spot somewhere around 150-250 Hz).

Like you said: submit yourself to the sound.

If it already sounds like this when I first try them, then I'm seriously looking forward to how they sound when they're settled 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Nice impressions Mr. 1666 :wink:

Glad you like them!
Can you give an example of one of these "several complex and fast tracks"?

Thanks!

Rodrigo y Gabriela's album, "Live In Japan", I've found to be pretty good to see how much detail I can extract from the intricate guitar picking and crowd reactions.

Also, "Dark Passion Play" by Nightwish, which has quick drumming and often multiple instruments and vocals at the same time.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #235 of 786
Welcome to the mini club mate.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #237 of 786
Thanks mate glad to think another headfier will be smiling when I am when the drop comes in.

Yes they also do other stuff well but the bottom is where it is up, rest is a breeze.

Edit: Ultrazino is the person to thank otherwise......

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #238 of 786
To MDCLXVI: the more you get used to it, the more you are going to love the sd3 and fully appreciate them. The sound signature is not for everbody but in the german hifi forum there are some guys who mentioned the sd3 in the fa4exb thead and they admitted that they are still impressed about the general performance of the sd3 and that it's not easy to forget these inears once you realise the exceptional presentation.

Like Mimoulle and some german fellas have said: the sd3 is a fitear togo334 category inear and it depends on your taste which one you prefer.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #239 of 786
is here anyone of SD3 owners using them with RWAK or AK100 or AK120? i would appreciate opinions on how SD3 pairs with AK or RWAK.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #240 of 786
Quote:
is here anyone of SD3 owners using them with RWAK or AK100 or AK120? i would appreciate opinions on how SD3 pairs with AK or RWAK.

Sound amazing with my AK120 and the soundstage is huge like you were listening to full size headphones.
If anyone interested I am selling my brand new at a very good price SD3 to get a full size headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back