Review in progress - Kenwood HD30GB9
May 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kenwood HD30GB9 + E500PTH is very high on my dream portable list. It seems to have great potential for SQ and also uber portability. Very much looking forward to this review.

Right now, my gear is: Kenwood HD20GA7+Shure E500. Fantastic sound quality, I can assure you. The hiss is there during quite passages, but it isn't a real problem, like I was afraid of.

May 29, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #33 of 50
You will have them. For all those people looking at the frequency responses, I have to say that, compared to the Ety ER4P, I don't find the E500 veiled at all.

May 29, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #34 of 50
I'm curious. If you rip true gapless MP3s (as I do via Flac images with cue sheets in EAC then converted to Lame V2), wil the Kenwood play those truly gapless? Rockbox will. Think in terms of albums where songs run into each other.

May 29, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #36 of 50
Thanks for the honest answer. Still very curious and interested. I own an iPod Video 5.5 and have grown tired of the SQ. 30GB is fine so the choice is between iModing it and addind perhaps a Xin reference or going the Kenwood route. Both are expensive, the iMod plus cable plus Xin perhaps $200 more and less portable but more raw power and therefore flexibility. In the end, I'd like to compare SQ...(Of course for another $50 on top of that I could add the pending Headroom Micro amp with DAC to my H140 which might be the best sound of all but now we're really big and I'm also not sure about risking damage to the H140 which is heart of my home kit.)

May 29, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #37 of 50
You have a third option. You can add a Xin or RSA amp to your iPod lineout. Even if it wouldn't be as good as the iMod, it will trounce the iPod heaphone out.
Otherwise, the Kenwood is very portable and it couples REALLY well with the E500. Warm, lush and detailed sound.
If you want to sell your iPod, take a Kenwood.
If you want to keep the iPod, then get the most out of it buying an amp. You can always imod it later.

May 29, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #38 of 50
In case anyone's interested, I'll post my translation of the official site (from a part of my review). I'm still waiting on a couple of things
frown.gif

[ Clear Digital Amp EX ]

The digital amp chip is compounded into separate pre-amplifier and power amplifier stages, thus allowing a clear, high resolution audio playback.

The pre-amp section utilizes a high speed 32 fs over-sampling converter that significantly reduces noise floor. The power-amp section uses proprietary Kenwood Clear Digital current which minimizes the THD.
contents_01.gif

A breakdown of the graph: Digital signal > PRE AMPLIFIER: [32 fs over-sampling ΔΣ + PWM converter digital amp] = [low ripple current] > POWER AMPLIFIER: [digital amp] = [switching controller, sensing amp, driver] > LPF > Analogue signal

[ Supreme EX ]

Lossy audio formats such as MP3 and WMA often loose audio data beyond 16 kHz. As a result, the depth and quality of the sound is lost. The original Kenwood Supreme EX technology preserves audio data beyond 16 kHz using independent algorithm. Wav or other lossless files now sound like a live performance in front of you.
contents_02.gif

[ Kenwood Lossless ]

The Kenwood original Kenwood Lossless codec allows you to maximize storage by compressing lossless files to 60% (on average) of its original size while maintaining the lossless sound quality.
contents_03.jpg

* f-Hole Grand Chassis
The “f-hole” implemented in the light and highly durable non-magnetic stainless alloy chassis brings desirable vibration that brings a clear, in-depth sound.

* High Quality Materials

The coil uses a chip inductor that shields it from unwanted magnetic interference. The mid-high range is emphasized, bringing forth a very musical sound signature.

* Digital 5-band Graphic Equalizer

The digital amp allows a highly resolute 5-band graphic equalizer. The unit stores up to three user-defined settings, and includes 8 presets according to different genres.

* User Friendly Interface

Flip through different menus at the touch of a button. The layout is designed to simulate a cell phone like layout.

* 2 Way Speed Search Key

The bi-directional seek buttons allow a slow seek mode with a light press, and a fast seek mode with a harder press.

* GUI (Graphic User Interface)

A 2.2 inch QVGA color LCD display displays an aesthetically beautiful interface.

* Support for Kenwood Lossless / MP3 / WMA (DRM) / WAV Playback

* Alarm Timer / Sleep Function

* Chargeable from the USB Bus / Playback while Charging (AC adaptor is available at Kenwood Shop)

May 30, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a third option. You can add a Xin or RSA amp to your iPod lineout. ...You can always imod it later.

Good advice. I own a Turbodock. I'm doing some comparisons in another thread and this weekend I'm going to focus on the quality of the iPod line out. I'd love an excuse to order the Xin Reference but I also know that patience is a good idea - especially with the Toronto Meet coming up in July.

May 30, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* f-Hole Grand Chassis
The “f-hole” implemented in the light and highly durable non-magnetic stainless alloy chassis brings desirable vibration that brings a clear, in-depth sound.

So that's what sets the Kenwood apart - most amps don't have one of those!
tongue.gif

May 30, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #44 of 50
correct me if i am wrong, this player has pre amp and amp inside? so does that means external amp are no longer needed? will it help the sound quality to use external amp such RSA ? can't wait for ur reviews thanks

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #45 of 50
how is it in the "jump trough hoops to load music" department ?
it brings a normal USB or propietary connector ?
do you have to sync it with WMP or Kenwood's own Music administration software or can you just drag and drop music in to it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back