[REVIEW] Hippo VB: Bassy, Bassier, Bassiest!
Aug 31, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #107 of 117
The Hippo VB continue to be my go-to pair of IEMs. However my 1st generation have now started to split at the cable and are holding on for dear life.

I WILL be replacing them with another pair of Hippo VB, no doubt. However, shall I spend £190 first on trying the Sennheiser IE80? Can anyone offer a detailed comparison?

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #108 of 117
Any more contributions to what I could buy as a spiritual successor to my beloved Hippo VB?

I tried the IE80, whilst buttery smooth, they just couldn't bang and rumble like the Hippo.

I tried Sony XB90EX, went relatively low but not as close. Quite liked them but had terrible driver flex for me especially when I tilted/turned my head.

I tried JVC FX200, overrated IMO and didnt perform well from unamped source.

I continue to see Denon C300 mentioned but their fit and form factor have me dubious, as they will be used in the gym amongst other uses.

I love my Hippo but feel like Im trapped in a hole and cant find a worthy upgrade.

Id happily budget anything from £50-£500 if I knew they were a worthy choice. Worthy being akin of Hippo VB mid bass/sub bass but with better overall SQ and build quality.

I use mine with the bassiest plate to put my request in to context :) I cant stress enough to anyone wanting pure unadulterated bass to try the Hippo, especially when I see lesser IEMs being suggested on HeadFi

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #109 of 117
Any more contributions to what I could buy as a spiritual successor to my beloved Hippo VB?

I tried the IE80, whilst buttery smooth, they just couldn't bang and rumble like the Hippo.

I tried Sony XB90EX, went relatively low but not as close. Quite liked them but had terrible driver flex for me especially when I tilted/turned my head.

I continue to see Denon C300 mentioned but their fit and form factor have me dubious, as they will be used in the gym amongst other uses.

I love my Hippo but feel like Im trapped in a hole and cant find a worthy upgrade.

Id happily budget anything from £50-£500 if I knew they were a worthy choice. Worthy being akin of Hippo VB mid bass/sub bass but with better overall SQ and build quality.

I use mine with the bassiest plate to put my request in to context
smily_headphones1.gif
I cant stress enough to anyone wanting pure unadulterated bass to try the Hippo, especially when I see lesser IEMs being suggested on HeadFi

There are none as far as I know, certainly none compared to the bassiest plate hippo.

Best thing I can suggest is to buy the DigiZoid Zo, and pair it up with XB90EX

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #111 of 117

I use mine with the bassiest plate to put my request in to context
smily_headphones1.gif
I cant stress enough to anyone wanting pure unadulterated bass to try the Hippo, especially when I see lesser IEMs being suggested on HeadFi

If there's no budget limit (within reason) I suggest researching Aurisonics ASG-2 which not only has some of the most heavy hitting bass I have heard from a hybrid, also supports a bass tuning dial to open them right up. I don't think you would need much more than one or two notches open, as the bass was like being hit by a world class boxer with them hardly open at all. It is mostly mid-bass focused though.

So I suggest you read up on the ASG-2 to see if this fits your requirements. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #112 of 117
delete please

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #113 of 117
  What ever you do , DON'T BUY FROM JABEN . Awful customer service .

I recently bought hippo vb headphones, which unfortunately broke after 2 months of usage. I read on the site that these have 1 year warranty . I contacted shopping site of jaben to kindly get a refund (shipping costs on me). After i did this, i didn't get any respond. Therefore i sent again an email for refund. The result ? They removed me from the site. My email is not to be found anywhere. I can't login to contact them.

This is very unprofessional.After this awful experience i would not recommend anyone to buy from jaben, because something breaks your warrant won't cover you and your account would be deleted so that jaben will earn 80 dollars of headphones.

Shame on you jaben!!

Which Jaben is this? I never have any problem dealing with Jaben Australia

May 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #116 of 117
I love hippo vb . Great bass , great sound all around . I' m using the no-dot plate and its great because bass matters most for my kind of music .

But for better overall sound experience i would recommend the 2-dot as well

May 26, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #117 of 117
Hippo vb + go vibe dac + equalizer apo + peace gui with bass bost = audio ecstasy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back