[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Feb 18, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #751 of 781
The RE400 cable is it's weakest link.

I am at the point where I will just give up.

Went already throught two RE400 and amazingly the RE600 is even worst.

Time to upgrade. But I simply cannot find anything else with this flat and smooth sound signature.

It seems to me every in-ear is either too boomy, or so sharp that the highs are peaky.

Basically where can I get the same hifiman mids? Any recommendation?

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #752 of 781

Time to upgrade. But I simply cannot find anything else with this flat and smooth sound signature.

It seems to me every in-ear is either too boomy, or so sharp that the highs are peaky.

heard the re400, fell in love with clear mids...didn't buy because I've seen better 5$ earbuds. If you spent that much, you should read upon the LZ-A4. I don't trash the re series, but it's rather dated at thus point when a lot of indie/boutique iems offer better build and value elsewhere...just my 2 cents...

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #753 of 781

Been trying to find a straight upgrade for years. Not sure it exists. The SD-2 has been tossed around a couple times (never tried), as well as the aurisonics rockets. If you're willing to take a leap of faith and try customs, I've also heard the Custom Art Music One is a great option. I recently purchased the Custom Art Ei.3 and can confirm the mids are the closest I've heard to the re400/600 -- in fact, they're better. That model may have too much low end and slightly laid back highs for you though, so the Music One would be the better/cheaper pick.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #754 of 781
Trust me, the RE-400 will break simply by existing for more than a few months.  It's a real shame.

Comfort, sound, etc...are all important.   But this earphone made me value durability.  What's the point if it's guaranteed to break ASAP?  It's worse than a poor sounding, ill-fitting earphone because there's no sound at all.

That said, Can anyone fill in the blank for me:

If I really like the RE-400, then I'll love the ________?

I'm looking for an RE-400 but just durable, that's it that's all I want.  But Hifiman just makes crappy products in terms of durability so I am willing to look for another brand.
I'm willing to pay more for better durability if Hifiman sells an earphone that is actually durable.

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #755 of 781
Trust me, the RE-400 will break simply by existing for more than a few months.  It's a real shame.

Comfort, sound, etc...are all important.   But this earphone made me value durability.  What's the point if it's guaranteed to break ASAP?  It's worse than a poor sounding, ill-fitting earphone because there's no sound at all.

That said, Can anyone fill in the blank for me:

If I really like the RE-400, then I'll love the ________?

I'm looking for an RE-400 but just durable, that's it that's all I want.  But Hifiman just makes crappy products in terms of durability so I am willing to look for another brand.
I'm willing to pay more for better durability if Hifiman sells an earphone that is actually durable.

Thanks!

Brainwavz r3,

Joker and myself thinks so. We discussed this a while back.

But the odd shape make cause some issues in fit.

But im very confident in the r3s

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #756 of 781
I agree that RE400 will probably break eventually. Mine even came as faulty. But RE400 are relatively easy to repair if you're familiar with soldering iron. Casing is pretty easy to open.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #757 of 781
Been trying to find a straight upgrade for years. Not sure it exists. The SD-2 has been tossed around a couple times (never tried), as well as the aurisonics rockets. If you're willing to take a leap of faith and try customs, I've also heard the Custom Art Music One is a great option. I recently purchased the Custom Art Ei.3 and can confirm the mids are the closest I've heard to the re400/600 -- in fact, they're better. That model may have too much low end and slightly laid back highs for you though, so the Music One would be the better/cheaper pick.

I am lucky enough to be currently living near Poland, so I am thinking to make a quick trip to Warsaw to try-out and perhaps mold my Music Ones. 

Thing is, these are BA headphones, and I thought the "smoothness magic" of the RE400 was due to its titanium dynamic drivers. I have other BA drivers and I find them too harsch. They are more precise and detailed yes, but can get a bit peaky. The VC1000 is a good example.

Btw the insane thing is that the cable is even worst on the RE600 (wich is 3 times more expensive than the RE400) 

I never heard of the Brainwavz R3. Have to check them out. At 129$ I could just buy them to try.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #758 of 781
I am lucky enough to be currently living near Poland, so I am thinking to make a quick trip to Warsaw to try-out and perhaps mold my Music Ones. 

Thing is, these are BA headphones, and I thought the "smoothness magic" of the RE400 was due to its titanium dynamic drivers. I have other BA drivers and I find them too harsch. They are more precise and detailed yes, but can get a bit peaky. The VC1000 is a good example.

Btw the insane thing is that the cable is even worst on the RE600 (wich is 3 times more expensive than the RE400) 

I never heard of the Brainwavz R3. Have to check them out. At 129$ I could just buy them to try.

You're lucky -- I'd probably have the entire Custom Art series by now if I lived near Poland haha! Definitely give the Music One a try. I went through a handful of high end BAs and had the same issue in that they were too peaky. Not the case with the Ei.3, or the Music One I hear.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #759 of 781
  How durable RE-400 are? I've read some negative stuff about build reliability on amazon. Have anyone here faced problems with RE-400 reliability?

The re-400 are the least durable of the 15 or so earphones I own. One of the cables separated from the housing. Mind you, I listen to them in rotation, so they get time for 6 to 8 hours once a month.  After 13 months, the cable failed.  Never left my house and storage was in a solid case, with the cable loosely coiled in a roughly 3 inch diameter -- in other words, not a very demanding usage scenario.

That said, I don't mind the lack of durability. I simply used a near-solid drying polyurethane glue to secure the cable to its housing. Looks ugly as hell, but still sounds great.

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #762 of 781
I just recabled my pair with the cable of some cheap Sony's (10€) I had. I actually think this cable is of better quality than the original.

I find it incredible that I just can't seem to find a better IEM with this type of neutral sound signature. It's soooo frustrating. I've tried the Rocket's, but they're just not the same thing, even tough technically they are better.

gOJESBj.jpg

gOJESBj

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #764 of 781
I just recabled my pair with the cable of some cheap Sony's (10€) I had. I actually think this cable is of better quality than the original.

I find it incredible that I just can't seem to find a better IEM with this type of neutral sound signature. It's soooo frustrating. I've tried the Rocket's, but they're just not the same thing, even tough technically they are better.

gOJESBj.jpg

gOJESBj

Was it easy to open up the casing? Any tricks to it? Eventually I'll probably end up doing the same. Thanks.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #765 of 781
Venture electronics duke vsonic gr07x

Thanks! I'm quite interested on those Vsonic's.

The Duke's, from what I heard from many people, do have some sibilance and harshness.

Was it easy to open up the casing? Any tricks to it? Eventually I'll probably end up doing the same. Thanks.

It's not very difficult. Secure one of the halfs and *very* gently tap the other one with something like a hammer.

After recabling use some sort of superglue to unite the two halfs again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back