[REVIEW] HifiMan RE400 ‘Waterline’ – The New Reference
Jul 11, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #737 of 781
Well, I'm not actually looking because I have already ordered RE-400, but would be good to hear how easily they break and what kind of faults are most common in RE-400 so I could be more careful with my pair.

Display them in a nice clear case. And marvel at them on a daily basis for hours and hours.

Thats a sure thing to keep em alive :)

In all seriousness i just wrapp my pair up with 3 fingers very loosely,

I dont fight the tangles and just lets it uncoil and unkink on its own.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #738 of 781
RE-400 arrived today! Build quality seems alright, not too worried about it right now. Sound seems a bit thin at first impressions due that light sub-bass, but I assume bass will gain weight as brains adjust the sound signature. Meanwhile, mids and highs are very nice natural sounding and well balanced, although may get a bit sibilant on certain genres.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #740 of 781
  Try using different tips, I use mine with the Sony Hybrids & bass is plenty fine.

Yep, agreed.  I use Sony Hybrids as well.  These single BA's demand a good seal to get decent bass.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #741 of 781
RE-400 arrived today! Build quality seems alright, not too worried about it right now. Sound seems a bit thin at first impressions due that light sub-bass, but I assume bass will gain weight as brains adjust the sound signature. Meanwhile, mids and highs are very nice natural sounding and well balanced, although may get a bit sibilant on certain genres.

If ur getting sibilance then theres a seal issue

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #742 of 781
Seems like right channel has some issues already
mad.gif
. It doesn't cut signal completely, but weakens soundstage on right side and whenever I tap earphone, sound comes completed and then cuts out again. Seems like cold solder joint or something.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #744 of 781
Well, I managed to fix it myself! I first thought that soldering was the problem, and I in fact soldered both wires again to driver myself, as it was done pretty bad originally (ground seperated immediately when I opened casing). I can see why so many RE-400 are or will become defective. Wire is not certainly nicest wire to solder. Copper wires have pretty thick insulation varnish on them and wires must be soldered carefully before soldering them on driver.

After soldering process I tested IEMs and was dissappointed, issue was still present and hadn't got better at all. Then I got another idea what might cause the issue. The driver element was too deep in front casing part, and it probably caused too small space for voice coil movement. I pulled driver element back from front casing and that was the key! Now problem disappeared and soundstage and sound are great as ever!

DIY skills are best warranty!
wink_face.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #745 of 781
Now when I fixed the sound issue, I've really grown to love RE-400 sound. Simply fantastic balance! I found biggest double flange tips to fit best to my ears. Isolation is great and all sibilance went away, bass increased and now sound is really enjoyable! Big tips are good for microphonics because they won't go too deep to my ears so cable doesn't touch my head so much and thus there's no cable noises too much. Happy with my purchase
biggrin.gif
(despite of defective right channel
rolleyes.gif
)

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #746 of 781
Just got mine today and am somewhat amazed by how such tiny things are able to deliver such sound. They certainly are analytical enough for me, instantly able to find flaws in old recordings.

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #748 of 781
Can anybody help me to identify which earpiece cable is left or right based on re 400 or hifiman letter in the interjoint?
Example re 400 letter facing frontside then right cable: left earpiece

Silly me i sugru the earpiece connector and forgot to mark the left or right :S

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #749 of 781
Can anybody help me to identify which earpiece cable is left or right based on re 400 or hifiman letter in the interjoint?
Example re 400 letter facing frontside then right cable: left earpiece

Silly me i sugru the earpiece connector and forgot to mark the left or right :S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ODm-F9-IM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back