REVIEW: HiFiMAN RE-ZERO. Top of the IEM Food Chain? Let's Find Out!
Jun 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #33 of 56
Which source/amp does this balanced plug work with?

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #34 of 56

Hopefully this is the right place to post some initial thoughts. I didn't see an appreciation thread yet.

I feel like I should write up something about the RE-Zero, since I bought a pair at CanJam. I liked them enough to buy them after listening for about 2 minutes. However, I really have *no* clue how to start writing something like this. I've never heard the RE-0, so I cannot give a comparison.

I really enjoy the highs. They are the best IEM I've heard, and I almost prefer them over my HD580. Currently I'm listening to some classical (Mozart specifically), which I never do, but these IEM make it an enjoyable experience and make the music interesting. The only other experience I have with IEM that I can make a comparison to is Shure e3c. There is no comparison there, in my opinion. The Zeros are in a different category, quality wise.
Hopefully this
is the right place to post some thoughts. I didn't see an appreciation thread yet.feel like I should write up something about the RE-Zero, since I bought a pair at CanJam. I liked them enough to buy them after listening for about 2 minutes. However, I really have *no* clue how to start writing something like this. I've never heard the RE-0, so I cannot give a comparison.

I really enjoy the highs. They are the best IEM I've heard, and I almost prefer them over my HD580. Currently I'm listening to some Mozart, which I never do, but these IEM make it an enjoyable experience and make the music interesting. The only other experience I have with headphones that I can make a comparison to is Shure e3c. There is no comparison there, in my opinion. The Zeros are in a different category.

Sorry if it is bad etiquette to post in someone else's thread.I feel like I should write up something about the RE-Zero, since I bought a pair at CanJam. I liked them enough to buy them after listening for about 2 minutes. However, I really have *no* clue how to start writing something like this. I've never heard the RE-0, so I cannot give a comparison.

I really enjoy the highs. They are the best IEM I've heard, and I almost prefer them over my HD580. Currently I'm listening to some Mozart, which I never do, but these IEM make it an enjoyable experience and make the music interesting. The only other experience I have with headphones that I can make a comparison to is Shure e3c. There is no comparison there, in my opinion. The Zeros are in a different category.

Sorry if it is bad etiquette to post in someone else's thread.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #36 of 56
I bought a pair of RE-Zero at CanJam, and so far I am really enjoying them. I am however having slight issues with static because of the adapter. I definitely would like to get the adapter they are working on. Adaptor aside, I am very happy with my decision to purchase the RE-Zero. 

I am hoping to have a proper review posted in a few days. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #37 of 56
Well, everything is done for a reason. There must be some reason why they made such a significant change from the norm, and even design an adapter to ship with it.

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #38 of 56

Quote:
simreg, when you bought it did it come with the smaller adaptor?

Mine came with the small black splitter/adapter. I have some of the same connection issues @xxlink has. It happens if I wiggle the adapter. However I am positive Fang will make things good with the adapter situation, so I'm not concerned about it.

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #39 of 56
popcorn.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #40 of 56
Mine is being delivered, but I'm already seriously considering cutting off that annoying connector. might take 10000 won... approx $80? What I don't have is the time, actually... It surely is a hard wait
confused_face.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #41 of 56
You should receive a slim cable adapter for it.  Even still, it'll be okay, lol.  Chill, man.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #42 of 56
I just got mine in today. Did a quick listen alongside my RE0's... initially they sound similar, bass, treble, etc... a little sibilant, a lot more volume from the impedence difference. I'm now burning them in using Dweaver's file from the MTPC thread for bringing out the mids and bass... can't wait.. =)

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #43 of 56

Quote:
I just got mine in today. Did a quick listen alongside my RE0's... initially they sound similar, bass, treble, etc... a little sibilant, a lot more volume from the impedence difference. I'm now burning them in using Dweaver's file from the MTPC thread for bringing out the mids and bass... can't wait.. =)

Cool. Is the bass the exact same? I was thinking of picking them up (even with their stupid un-portable adapter) if their bass was a little more impactful and I would need to use my FiiO E5 with bass boost.

Thanks.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #45 of 56
I'm just gonna add some heat to the flame. 

Why on earth would they add a balanced jack on a $99 earphone? Almost nothing works with that jack without an adapter. Only the most expensive headphone amps have a balanced jack. You can probably count the total number of devices that can take a TRRS jack with your hands. Who on earth will use such a high end amp for a relatively cheap pair of earphones? Maybe 0.1% of the buyers will take advantage of what balanced input jacks has to offer.

I have no idea what they're thinking when they decided "hey, let's piss off 99.9% of our customers by adding a TRRS connector to please the 0.1% of our customers that'll take advantage of that". I don't get that. Not only that, they introduce unnecessary cost (not just to make, but to design as well) to their product. Those are 2 of the biggest mistakes you can do in a business, purposely introduce unnecessary cost and pissing off 99.9% of your customers at the same time.

If you put balanced jacks on the HE-6, OK, we can understand, because it is a high end feature for a ultra high end pair of headphones. For the $99, absolutely not, no matter how great the improvements. I highly doubt you can hear a noticeable improvement from a balanced jack anyways, certainly not on a pair of $99 earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back