REVIEW - HiFiMAN RE-400 Waterline IEMs
Apr 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
I guess it depends on who you ask. Some people, thanks to a certain engineer and his blog, feel the Sansa stuff is about as high end as you can get in terms of portables. If that's your view then by all means, enjoy your Fuze or Clip/+/zip. I don't mean that in a condescending way either - those models sound excellent to me as well (for the price) and are very impressive for what they are. 

However. I stand by my original statement that some high end CIEMs don't sound very good from my Fuze (not Fuze+) or Clip+. 

+1

The sansa stuff is great but not imho hifi classification.

May 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #19 of 26
Very nice review! I bought these headphones and am enjoying them very much.  Also as I am enjoying reading your other reviews the way you describe gear has come into sharper focus as I can base it off what I know about these IEMs. Definitely the best headphones I own in my small collection, though the others can be fun as well!

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #20 of 26
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the RE-272 and it's been a while for the RE-262... so no direct comparisons. But I can say that I don't recall the RE-262 sounding better than RE-400. In fact, based on memory, I'd say RE-400 is the better sounding model - and I really liked RE-262 when I heard it. But all of this is speculation because I don't have it on hand to compare, and never really owned it long term (just borrowed for a while). 

I will say that I think RE-400 could easily justify costing $150 or $200. And I could live with it as my only headphone if I had to sell all my customs for whatever reason. It's just that good. 

If you compare the RE-400 with VSONIC VSD1 or Soundmagic E-10 which one you think has more clarity, separation of instruments and good bass for listening jazz and electronic music? I use an ipod classic.
Thanks

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #21 of 26
If you compare the RE-400 with VSONIC VSD1 or Soundmagic E-10 which one you think has more clarity, separation of instruments and good bass for listening jazz and electronic music? I use an ipod classic.
Thanks

Sorry, haven't heard either of those to compare against the RE-400. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #22 of 26
  I guess it depends on who you ask. Some people, thanks to a certain engineer and his blog, feel the Sansa stuff is about as high end as you can get in terms of portables. If that's your view then by all means, enjoy your Fuze or Clip/+/zip. I don't mean that in a condescending way either - those models sound excellent to me as well (for the price) and are very impressive for what they are. 

However. I stand by my original statement that some high end CIEMs don't sound very good from my Fuze (not Fuze+) or Clip+. 

+1 - I love the the less analytical, rich sound of my Sansa so much i pair it with a JDS cMoy and the work really well together. I actually thought the lack of resolution from the Sansa "tamed" my Shure SE410's. However if i pug my UE TripleFi10 into them and play a track, and then play that same track through my ibasso DX50, there a night and day difference in detail and resolution.

I think said "engineer" has a lot of good points he has made but sometimes i think too much emphasis in numbers just kills the love for sound, when you get wrapped up in trying to basically prove what someones brain should be hearing. 

Ears hear what ears hear.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #23 of 26
i disagree 100%

I had a re-400 and traded for a re-262

imho , the 262 blow the 400 out of the water - no comparison whatsoever.

i also have the 272 and while it is better than the 262 , technically speaking, the 262 is more mid-centric and fun-sound

both are great iems and they rip apart the 400 (ok 272 costs 2.5 times more so not fair to compare)

it is a shame that both 262/272 are discontinued - these are some really great IEMs i wish hifiman would bring thema back.

Quote:

Unfortunately I haven't heard the RE-272 and it's been a while for the RE-262... so no direct comparisons. But I can say that I don't recall the RE-262 sounding better than RE-400. In fact, based on memory, I'd say RE-400 is the better sounding model - and I really liked RE-262 when I heard it. But all of this is speculation because I don't have it on hand to compare, and never really owned it long term (just borrowed for a while). 

I will say that I think RE-400 could easily justify costing $150 or $200. And I could live with it as my only headphone if I had to sell all my customs for whatever reason. It's just that good. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #26 of 26
Hello. About the filters inside the openings of the RE-400s -- I have frustrated questions. My RE-400s are new. After three days, one of the filters (on right bud) sort of got dislodged somehow (I take excellent care of the IEMs) and fell into the driver. I retrieved it with a toothpick because it was actually hanging askew, and there was still some gluey stuff to hold it in place, but then I thought I might as well learn how to replace it. I did. But I wonder: the old filter still left some black fibers stuck to the rim of the opening, over which I've now set the replacement. And actually, the replacement looks thicker, doesn't it? I mean, will this affect the sound even a little? I guess I'll have to replace the left bud as well to have peace of mind. But why are some filters (like Brainwavz) permanent and made of metal if they are supposed to collect debris? -- in which case all you could do is clean the surface of the mesh, you wouldn't know what debris was under the metal. Lastly, are these supposed to protect the ear by balancing the sound-? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back