[REVIEW] HifiMan HM602 and HM801 (w/ balanced amp module impression)
Aug 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #61 of 107

Quote:
I don't think it's the cards.  The Hifimans are doing something to the cards or themselves when they run out of juice or maybe even when charging.  I no longer leave my card in during charging.  Just a theory.

So your SDHC card works with no problems as long as you've never left it in while charging or when the power runs down?

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #62 of 107

Quote:
fwiw - a reset might help with some issues, and some cards aren't what they are labeled as...

Tried a reset... did absolutely nothing. After shutting off the 602 and turning it back on, still no SD card. And wouldn't the SD card not work at all if it was incompatible?

Would it be worth trying another card (50$) after kolatex saying he tried a different one and it made no difference. I'm not even sure it's worth trying another unit. Quite a few people saying their 602 SD slot not working correctly.

Quote:
Pretty sad that such expensive players are so finicky with what cards they like..... 

I'm starting to think this ^^^... so sad so much money and promise but quickly turning into complete fail.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #63 of 107
There is a list of tested SD card in Head-Direct sub-forum, you should give it a read. I have tested multiple 16GB and 32GB cards on HM801 and HM602, all of them works fine for me.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #64 of 107

Quote:
So your SDHC card works with no problems as long as you've never left it in while charging or when the power runs down?

So far.  I had one card go wonky after awhile when I left it in.  So now I'm trying something different.  I'll see if it continues to work well.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #65 of 107

Quote:
There is a list of tested SD card in Head-Direct sub-forum, you should give it a read. I have tested multiple 16GB and 32GB cards on HM801 and HM602, all of them works fine for me.

I use the same reliable brand, capacity and speed sdcard in all my devices.  Simply because they are rock solid cards.  The 602 is the only where I've had an issue.  Maybe the card was an anomaly, maybe not. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #66 of 107
Make shure that there is no .pdf files, squeezebox folder etc. on the card.
I discovered that after putting my SD card in the Touch it leaves some files/folders, that makes the known issues.
As long as I only have FLAC, mp3 and jpg files on the cards there haven't been any issues with my Kingston 32GB SDHC cards - or the 4GB PNY card.

Fang posted in a thread a solution for (some of) these problems where the solution is based on a software problem, when the PC and the SD cards doesn't work properly together.
The solution should then be to format the SD card on the computer that you use for transfering files to the card.
Then the two devices should be "talking" and then the HiFiMan should be reading just about all class 4 SD cards fine.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #68 of 107
For anyone still having problems with HiFiMan DAPs' SDHC card, I tried the steps listed in this thread, and so far so good!
ksc75smile.gif
 This fixed the problem with the SD card not being recognized after the player has been turned off and then back on... at least so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed. This is with a Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 4. Was gonna get a Kingston to see if that fixed the problem, but Fry's didn't have one, so got a Patriot 32GB Class 4 instead. Now that the Sandisk is working, I'll see if the Patriot works after formatting next.

I guess with esoteric equipment, you gotta find the esoteric instructions to go with it!

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #69 of 107
What's unclear to me is why a perfectly good card that's been sitting solely for use in the 602 and working for months would stop getting recognized but still work in other devices.  Not sure how the above solution would apply.  Regardless I have everything working so far so I'll worry about if the problem crops up again.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #70 of 107
Yeah, well... this wasn't quite the solution I was hoping it would be. I initially reformatted the card and loaded new FLACs on it while it was in the player. It seemed to work fine. Later, I put the card in a USB card reader to load more FLAC files on it because I thought it might be a little faster. It was. But now it's back to the same problem in the player... won't recognized the card on start up, and the card has to be reloaded while the players on and then Update Media Files performed. Do it all over again once the player is turned off. This 602 is quickly becoming too finicky for me. I'll try a couple of other things, and if they don't work... back to HeadRoom it goes.

I really want this thing to work. I don't understand how HiFiMan could let such an obvious problem slip through. Poor or no Quality Control. And I don't understand why HeadRoom or anyone else would keep selling them if they're seeing what seems to be a consistent problem with them.

Anyone know of any other portable FLAC players that work properly?
triportsad.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #72 of 107
I can tell you right now I've had very mixed bag results w/ Sandisk.  You'd think they set the standard and all that but reliability and consistency is all over the place w/ that brand.  Even their special high dollar cutting edge cards.  I've had decent results w/ Kingston and huge success w/ cheap PNY/Polaroid cards.  

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #73 of 107
That's the post I was thinking of ...
(The one you link to.)
Quote:
For anyone still having problems with HiFiMan DAPs' SDHC card, I tried the steps listed in this thread, and so far so good!
ksc75smile.gif
 This fixed the problem with the SD card not being recognized after the player has been turned off and then back on... at least so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed. This is with a Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 4. Was gonna get a Kingston to see if that fixed the problem, but Fry's didn't have one, so got a Patriot 32GB Class 4 instead. Now that the Sandisk is working, I'll see if the Patriot works after formatting next.

I guess with esoteric equipment, you gotta find the esoteric instructions to go with it!

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #74 of 107
Hi ClieOS,

Thanks for all your hard work putting together the reviews, they're always very helpful.

Just a question then, in your ranking system below, is this using headphone out or line out?

Also, in your opinion, would buying a S:flo2 (unamped) be better than trying to cheaply amp an ipod nano for a pair of triple fi 10's?

Thanks,
Ran

Quote:

DAP in ranking? Haven't really put a lot of thought in it, but probably something in this order: HM801 >>> HM602 = S:flo2 >> (Fuze + LOD + Stepdance) > (Fuze + LOD + 3MOVE) > C30 / Gumstick > Fuze >> Nano 4G

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #75 of 107

Quote:
Just a question then, in your ranking system below, is this using headphone out or line out?

Also, in your opinion, would buying a S:flo2 (unamped) be better than trying to cheaply amp an ipod nano for a pair of triple fi 10's?

Headphone-out, unless specified with LOD.

It depends a lot on what amp you are using. If it is a good amp, then it will be close to s:flo2. If you are looking at sub-$100 amp, then s:flo2 will have more noticeable advantage. But given it is a TF10, I'll say either setup should be more than capable on driving it to fullness. If you already own a Nano, it will be bigger bang for buck to find a decent sub-$100 amp for the Nano

Users who are viewing this thread

Back