REVIEW HIFIMAN HE500 A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH
Dec 21, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #91 of 161

Quote:
For me the million dollar question is still how do the LCD-2 compare to the HE-500, because unlike above posters I have no intention of owning them both. My K1000's still rule the world, and is just looking for a number 2. To me the basic characteristics seem that the 500 has a little more soundstage, is brighter, works better with classical and is more comfortable. The LCD-2 is nicer build, very good bass and warm sounding. They both have the planar advantages: the exceptional midrange and speed.

Someone having owned or owning both, how correct are my observations so far?

Also HE-500 needs more than LCD-2 a powerful amp. 1W according to HifiMan, and it scales well with bigger amps!

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #92 of 161

Quote:
For me the million dollar question is still how do the LCD-2 compare to the HE-500, because unlike above posters I have no intention of owning them both. My K1000's still rule the world, and is just looking for a number 2. To me the basic characteristics seem that the 500 has a little more soundstage, is brighter, works better with classical and is more comfortable. The LCD-2 is nicer build, very good bass and warm sounding. They both have the planar advantages: the exceptional midrange and speed.

Someone having owned or owning both, how correct are my observations so far?

i owned the LCD2 in the past and this I will say the HE500 stacks up very very good against it. I had issues with the LCD2 build quality. My cups were always swiveling and i had one pair replaced and also had the reverb issue in my left cup. The HE500 IMO is more towards what many consider warm than bright and also  does classical better than the LCD2.  Either is a good choice but for me this has a 3yr warranty is built well and sounds fantastic and has better pricing. No bad choice either way. If you want more of an all rounder the HE500 fits the bill. I will update when the LCD2 is here again 1/28 at my mini meet and will add more impressions to my review.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #93 of 161
Great review!

Have there been any other changes to the HE-500 since their original release aside from the cables and pads? Also is it possible to order the new velour pads?
I ask because I am wondering if it is worth it to get a used pair for cheaper.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #94 of 161

Quote:
Great review!

Have there been any other changes to the HE-500 since their original release aside from the cables and pads? Also is it possible to order the new velour pads?
I ask because I am wondering if it is worth it to get a used pair for cheaper.

Thanks for the nice comments much appreciated. I am not sure if Fang made any more changes from the early pair. i believe it was the cable and pads. I would ask fang on his site here if the velour are available for order yet. One thing I did notice it was easier to put the cable on and its not stuck in or near my shoulders.  Really cannot say if sonically there were any changes from earlier models.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #95 of 161
Just sticking my head in to the HE-500 forum. Hello good folks.
I apologize if this has been mentioned before but today I purchased the October issue of HiFi+ magazine a British Hifi mag. Always liked it (even though we get it late here in Canada!) Anyway, They have a wonderful review of your headphone. The reviewer, a British HiFi magazine legend Alan Sircom says it is the best headphone for sale, beating in his opinion his beloved HD800.
Here is a link to the Magazine though sadly I cannot find an online version of the review.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hifi_plus/83/

Scanner?

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #97 of 161

Quote:
While the HE-500 are more palatable at this price and sound considerably better than the lower tier of headphones (HD650, K702) they have a cheaply built feel overall compared to the LCD2, mine had pleather everything (perhaps I just missed the cutoff for actual leather pads, but there's no leather anywhere to be seen), the stock cable is not as well QA'd as other stock cables (the wires have memory and are loosely/unevenly braided) and the sound just does not seem natural like the Audeze, just unlikeable by comparison.  They are hard to drive despite being the easy to drive model and they are heavy/uncomfortable as the cups seem to be made entirely of metal.  If you can afford the extra $300 for LCD2 you'd be nuts to take these over them.  The only reason I'm probably keeping these is to test cables on.    

Just in the interest of counterpoint, I don't agree with your opinion at all.  I've compared the HE-500s to the LCD-2s on multiple occasions (as well as multiple versions of the LCD-2) and liked the HE-500s better every time.  IMO the HE-500s are more natural sounding, as in more laid back and less hyped.  If they were the same price, I'd still choose the HE-500 over the LCD-2.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #101 of 161
I don't have one!

Understood. I'm going to head to the local B&N in the next day or so and see if I can't pick this issue up.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #102 of 161
I had posted pictures of the pages but they have been taken down, thinking on it I can see why, sorry about that Mod's!

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #103 of 161
I recieved the HE-500 the other day.. and while I do not have much experience in headphones other than my DT770Pro... The HE-500 are just on a so different level, just amazing, wow. I just can't wait to listen more to them. Even with my budget amp they are great compared to what I am used to, tho I can really sense that they would open up much more on a stronger amp.

Music is just pristine and so clear whit an exceptional response. Tight bass. Just great so far. So easy to tell instruments apart. I listen mostly to Rock and Prog metal.

I am also a gamer, and it is just really fun playing Battlefield 3 with so great sound, great explosions and realism.

Really happy I took the step into the next level of head-fi. And now the search for a new amp.

DacMagic -> Argon HA1 -> HE-500

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #104 of 161

Quote:
I recieved the HE-500 the other day.. and while I do not have much experience in headphones other than my DT770Pro... The HE-500 are just on a so different level, just amazing, wow. I just can't wait to listen more to them. Even with my budget amp they are great compared to what I am used to, tho I can really sense that they would open up much more on a stronger amp.

Music is just pristine and so clear whit an exceptional response. Tight bass. Just great so far. So easy to tell instruments apart. I listen mostly to Rock and Prog metal.

I am also a gamer, and it is just really fun playing Battlefield 3 with so great sound, great explosions and realism.

Really happy I took the step into the next level of head-fi. And now the search for a new amp.

DacMagic -> Argon HA1 -> HE-500

Nice. i dont play games but figure the bass and dynamics would be good. Look forward to more of your impressions

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #105 of 161
I had posted pictures of the pages but they have been taken down, thinking on it I can see why, sorry about that Mod's!

Went ahead and bought the PDF. Seems like a decent magazine.

http://www.nextnewsstand.com/products/hi-fi-plus/hifi-83/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back