Review: Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof
Apr 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #166 of 259

Quote:
I ordered EF-6 and HE-6 on Feb. 16.  I received the both of them today March 5.  Does the EF-6 come with a power cord. Because mine did not.  I thought I had asked Head-Direct and they said it did come with power cord.  Is there an inexpensive alternative-any suggestions for power cord.  Kinda of sucks that I'm looking at amp but unable to use.

It definitely sucks when I can't recall the proper month.  I received the amp and headphone today April 5.  

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #167 of 259
Should be able to use an old computer power supply type cable if you have spares lying around.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #168 of 259
Quote:
I ordered EF-6 and HE-6 on Feb. 16.  I received the both of them today March 5.  Does the EF-6 come with a power cord. Because mine did not.  I thought I had asked Head-Direct and they said it did come with power cord.  Is there an inexpensive alternative-any suggestions for power cord.  Kinda of sucks that I'm looking at amp but unable to use.

I like these: http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-25228-125-Volt-Hospital-10-Foot/dp/B004NYAXB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333681904&sr=8-1

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #169 of 259
No, it does not ship with a power cord.  I just got mine.  I will wait on initial impressions, but someone mentioned that theirs runs hot and mine does not.  Finally, the last piece of gear that I ordered on the great splurge has arrived.  Soon I will be able to properly review all the thousands of dollars of crap I have ordered over the last year and sell the rest.  All I can say so far is that my Lyre LCD combo works very well when I am very drunk and that my HE6 EF6 combo also works well when drunk.  Even while drunk I can tell that both combos surpass all my other equipment easily.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #171 of 259
Since I am drunk right now, I might as well mention that the Hifiman phones are far more comfortable than the Audeze ones and that the Audeze headphone cable connections are far superior to Hifiman's.  As a drunk, I will say that the LCD2 seems more musical while the HE6 seems to be more accurate.  I will say that you should all take this with a grain of salt for now.  I bought the Schitt/LCD-2 used, and hence broken in, while the HE6/EF6 are brand new with about two hours of use...also I am drinking.  I just got back from Afghanistan and fully intend on sobering up, spelling right, and doing as many combo swaps as possible between equipment to help anyone else before I start to sell stuff(in which case all sold equipment is amazing:} at this price it should be)...but then again a drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts and the Hifiman really is more comfortable.  That is probably all I should post for now...but stay tuned...I will be sober eventually and on the non-portable front I will report on DACs: Bifrost, MiniMax Plus, Peachtree....Amps: Lyre with multiple tubes, EF6, Peachtree...Headphones: HE5LE, HE6, LCD2....and that is just for the Ultra high end stuff and honestly all three headphones apply

Here is to having fun or wishing you were dead while listening to great music....in any case I know most of us can't audition everything and I hope my future observations help someone out.  I also hope that something is a price winner here, but even drunk I kind of doubt it.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #172 of 259
lol. A drunk audiophile.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #173 of 259
A few general questions: !.  US voltage setting should be 115volts.  It's confusing me because I thought US voltage is 120 volts.  Only other setting is for 220 volt which I know is not US.  I got a spare power cord and it is working fine.  I just want to make sure I use it properly.  2.  Can two headphones be hooked up simultaneously.  What gain setting do you use for the HE-6.  Have you tried LCD 2-r1 on the EF-6,  What gain setting for the LCD-2-r1.  Is there an online users manual available.  Amp is pretty straight forward and not complicated.  It is very heavy.  Do you find using the 4prong connection better then the 1/4 jack.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #174 of 259

Quote:
A few general questions: !.  US voltage setting should be 115volts.  It's confusing me because I thought US voltage is 120 volts.  Only other setting is for 220 volt which I know is not US.  I got a spare power cord and it is working fine.  I just want to make sure I use it properly.  2.  Can two headphones be hooked up simultaneously.  What gain setting do you use for the HE-6.  Have you tried LCD 2-r1 on the EF-6,  What gain setting for the LCD-2-r1.  Is there an online users manual available.  Amp is pretty straight forward and not complicated.  It is very heavy.  Do you find using the 4prong connection better then the 1/4 jack.

- 115V is the correct setting.
- I suppose that'd be the same as using a Y adapter.
- Whatever setting that sounds loud enough to you. If you mean the -10dB switch, I wouldn't touch it unless using IEM's or something very efficient. Defenitely not for orthodynamics. :p
- I haven't tried them on the EF-6, but expect them to be easier to drive than the HE-6. Still wouldn't use the -10db switch.
- Don't think so.
- Both are sonically equivalent (same unbalanced signal), but I prefer 4-pin XLR for sturdiness. I also find its locking mechanism to work better.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #175 of 259

Quote:

Quote:
I received mine too without a power cord. I just took the first generic one I could find. If you want to invest in "high-end" power cables, I'm sure you can find some cheap ones (and others not too cheap) on the trading forums. :wink:

My god, a 1600$ amp that ships without a power cord, that's ridiculous.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #180 of 259
Still drunk but that won't stop me.  Okay, I am too lazy to give a review but I will throw in impressions.  As I stated before, I bought a lot of equipment over the last year and am just now getting the chance to play with it.  For tonight my setup: XBox360 via optical cable->Eastern Electric Minimax Plus->EF-6.  Tonight I listened to complete albums via CD from Five Finger Death Punch, The Birthday Massacre, and Anberlin.  I primarily listened via a pair of  HE-6 headphones with about 40 hours of break in.  Through every stage, from sobriety going to hammered, I periodically plugged in the LCD-2(broken in), and replayed the last song that had played.  Even when I was completely sober, I would immediately plug the HE-6 back in, and keep in mind that my initial impressions of the HE-6 were a bit light in the base.  I also experimented with using the Minimax's tube output stage.  The tube seems to add a bit to the acoustic region just on the upper end of the base, which I care for sober, but drunk it bothers me and makes me feel like I am missing something....but it was a metal night so there is that.  I will throw out the generic...I am hearing things I never heard before with this setup...it is true, but still.  The things I notice the most: vocal range is greater than anything I have heard before, sometimes with certain recordings(The Birthday Massacre) guitars sound...dirty...but here I can tell they are electric guitars, and of course the full range of percussion is finally evident.  Not taking anything away from the LCD-2, but the HE-6 is definitely staying.  I might also note that the EF-6 is excellent for the LCD-2 but with only 24 steps some might find a setting where one is too soft and the next is too loud...I found my ears adjusted the more I drank.  I also listened to my ipod touch->rsa shadow->JVC FX700 setup while making dinner, before I started drinking, and I must say that it is excellent for what it is, the best portable setup I own by far...and still I can definitely tell I am going portable when compared to the HE-6/EF-6/minimax.  I am disappointed, I hoped that I would prefer the LCD2/LYR combo and get a lot of money back by selling the HE6/EF6, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen...but must do more tests, semi-sober and drunk before I make a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back