REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods other than cables (Review in Progress)
Apr 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #106 of 243
I actually tried the 800 only on tube amps: my old Schiit Lyr and someone else's Eddie Current Balancing Act. If it didn't sound great to me on a $3850 amp, I don't think it will be much better on my mediocre (well, in comparison to the E.C) source equipment. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #107 of 243
I actually tried the 800 only on tube amps: my old Schiit Lyr and someone else's Eddie Current Balancing Act. If it didn't sound great to me on a $3850 amp, I don't think it will be much better on my mediocre (well, in comparison to the E.C) source equipment. 

Very strange but could just senergy or the tubes used if tube rolling is possible. I heard LCD-X with 2 different setups with one they sounded great but with another one, which was $4000 Red Wine Audio by the way, they sounded just as good as HD800 for me.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #108 of 243
Well, I bit the bullet and pre-ordered them. You can forget about my question, guess I'll see for myself soon 
smile_phones.gif
 and I do plan on writing up a review comparing it with the old HE-500.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #109 of 243
Enjoy, when are they scheduled for delivery?  Looking forward to your review.

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #112 of 243
Thank you for the detailed write up. I'm really thinking about preordering a pair soon and possibly putting my HE500 on the classifieds. Though, would you mind answering a question?

How much more prominent are the upper mids/lower treble on the HE560 vs the HE500? I've always disliked how the 3-5kish region was a bit too recessed, especially from someone who enjoys the HD600 which kind of exagerrates that point.

I guess what I'm looking for in the HE560 is a brighter, more neutral HE500 or a "HD600 on crack". Retaining the 600s neutral tone while giving it more technical ability.

Well, I always said the HE-500 were the HD600 on steroids, but I do think the HE-500 has less energy in the 2-3K region than the HE-560. The HE-560, as I mentioned before, seemed slightly brighter and more sparkly in comparison, without ever being described as "bright" or "hot" on their own. 

I'd have to try out some test tones when I get the final production pair of HE-560 in.  The pre-production pair went back for catalog photos last week, and I was hoping to have a new pair this week but haven't gotten any updates.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #114 of 243

Well, I always said the HE-500 were the HD600 on steroids, but I do think the HE-500 has less energy in the 2-3K region than the HE-560. The HE-560, as I mentioned before, seemed slightly brighter and more sparkly in comparison, without ever being described as "bright" or "hot" on their own. 

I'd have to try out some test tones when I get the final production pair of HE-560 in.  The pre-production pair went back for catalog photos last week, and I was hoping to have a new pair this week but haven't gotten any updates.

I'd go so far as to describe HE500s as a bit "muted" in the 2-3kHz region. HE560 fills that area up, which is much-needed.

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #115 of 243

I'd go so far as to describe HE500s as a bit "muted" in the 2-3kHz region. HE560 fills that area up, which is much-needed.

Yeah, we agree there is less energy there in the HE-500, but I don't think it's too muted or lacking in general.

In this case I think it come down to preference, until I can sit down next to the piano or violin and listen to the live instrument vs the HE-500 playback side-by-side...

[edit - the original HE-5 might have described as having a "hole in the midrange" but the HE-5LE and HE-500 fixed that, in my opinion.]

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #116 of 243

Yeah, we agree there is less energy there in the HE-500, but I don't think it's too muted or lacking in general.

In this case I think it come down to preference, until I can sit down next to the piano or violin and listen to the live instrument vs the HE-500 playback side-by-side...

[edit - the original HE-5 might have described as having a "hole in the midrange" but the HE-5LE and HE-500 fixed that, in my opinion.]

I imagine it's like HE-5LE < HE-500 < HE-560 with regards to upper mid range energy in this regard?

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #117 of 243
Maybe it's the way the old classic rock was mastered for the 30-40 year old bass heavy Cerwin Vega speakers and Koss headphones, which often makes the music lack any significant impact on many audiophile headphones (pink floyd, credence clearwater, jethro tull, boston, led zeppelin, rolling stones, neil young, steely dan, jackson brown, etc).  Sometimes I feel like much of that music has nothing below 50-60hz (sure there are exceptions).

Wow, I've never heard a more true statement. My LZ box sounds like it was ran through a high pass filter.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #118 of 243
I have been following the threads on the HE-560 with great interest.  Everything seems to have gone fairly quiet.  Is everyone anticipating changes to the pre-production models and waiting to evaluate the final production versions?

Is the pre-production version a significant jump from the Audeze LCD-2?  I primarily listen through high-end speakers, but I was disappointed with the lack of “Audiophile” room sound that I was expecting from them (and they weighed a ton).  Does the HE-560 give you some of the tactile feel and impact you get from a full range speaker and a bit more resolution through the upper midrange?  I seem to be listening less and less to my home setup (time and kids), and I would like some very nice headphones that do not leave me wanting more.  In addition, I have heard rumors about another HE-6XX series model on the way.  Is this purely speculation, or is it in the near-term pipeline?  I would rather spend a reasonable amount of cash once to get something that I am thrilled with than to be constantly looking for something better.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #119 of 243
You sound like I was about 5 years ago. I had always been a big 2 channel stereo speaker system audiophile. I had some of the best... like Wilson Watt, Puppies and Whow driven by Audio Research amps and etc. But, we moved to Athens, GA out of a big house with dedicated listening room to an apartment to help raise our granddaughter... and things changed.

I have a modest system in conjunction with a 60" LCD... it consists of Epos speakers with a REL sub. driven by the Peachtree Audio Decco 65 and a Oppo 105 do everything player, and that does the trick watching TV and movies... and even some CD listening.

But, missing the high end, I started into headphones. I've gone thru a few of those and enjoyed trying different solid state and tube amps to drive them. But, being a tube guy, I came around to Little Dot amps and then I turned to Schiit... pardon the expression... to drive a really good high end headphone... the HE-500.

I have used the little Schiit Vali with the HE-500s and they make a very good partnership. It's amazing how that little amp can perform like that... and it's only $119. But, I purchased my 2nd Schiit Lyr recently, primarily if I want to go to the HE-6... I'm always tempted to try it. But, in the meantime, with the right tubes in my Lyr... like Bugle Boys or Voskhod Gray Shields, I am in audiophile heaven... very good sound that will make you forget you were ever in speakers. The HE-500s and Lyr combo... fed by an Oppo 105 that has an excellent DAC... and good cables is a great place to start or even end. The sound stage is wide and enveloping, and you will find that little nuances that could be lost in a speaker system because of room environment, you hear it all in a headphone system like this.

Believe me... once you really get into a good headphone system like this, you will sit for hours listening to good music. Hey, go pick up one of those used HE-500s for less than $500... and a used Lyr or a new Vali... and sit back and wait and see what finally comes out in the 560. Fang always improves every headphone he puts out months after the initial production has time to be critiqued.

Have fun and enjoy the headphile world.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #120 of 243
  You sound like I was about 5 years ago. I had always been a big 2 channel stereo speaker system audiophile. I had some of the best... like Wilson Watt, Puppies and Whow driven by Audio Research amps and etc. But, we moved to Athens, GA out of a big house with dedicated listening room to an apartment to help raise our granddaughter... and things changed.

I have a modest system in conjunction with a 60" LCD... it consists of Epos speakers with a REL sub. driven by the Peachtree Audio Decco 65 and a Oppo 105 do everything player, and that does the trick watching TV and movies... and even some CD listening.

But, missing the high end, I started into headphones. I've gone thru a few of those and enjoyed trying different solid state and tube amps to drive them. But, being a tube guy, I came around to Little Dot amps and then I turned to Schiit... pardon the expression... to drive a really good high end headphone... the HE-500.

I have used the little Schiit Vali with the HE-500s and they make a very good partnership. It's amazing how that little amp can perform like that... and it's only $119. But, I purchased my 2nd Schiit Lyr recently, primarily if I want to go to the HE-6... I'm always tempted to try it. But, in the meantime, with the right tubes in my Lyr... like Bugle Boys or Voskhod Gray Shields, I am in audiophile heaven... very good sound that will make you forget you were ever in speakers. The HE-500s and Lyr combo... fed by an Oppo 105 that has an excellent DAC... and good cables is a great place to start or even end. The sound stage is wide and enveloping, and you will find that little nuances that could be lost in a speaker system because of room environment, you hear it all in a headphone system like this.

Believe me... once you really get into a good headphone system like this, you will sit for hours listening to good music. Hey, go pick up one of those used HE-500s for less than $500... and a used Lyr or a new Vali... and sit back and wait and see what finally comes out in the 560. Fang always improves every headphone he puts out months after the initial production has time to be critiqued.

Have fun and enjoy the headphile world.

I hear ya brother. With a headphone system that is just right, the listening experience is pure exploration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back