REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods other than cables (Review in Progress)
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #92 of 243
  I mean which you prefer.

I'd prefer to answer this when I get the final production version next week.  I can't pick right now.

So far I'm likely to use the HE-560 more often than the HE-6, because the EF6 amp is down in the basement with my Nuforce DAC, while I have all my other DACs and amps upstairs where I spend more time. The HE-560 can be more easily driven by my PWD>ZDT in the family room, the DACmini with EF5 in the bedroom, or HiFi-M8 that I use in other places all over the house.  I just don't have room in the house for all my good gear to be upstairs, and it's nice to have nice gear in the basement for when I need a more quiet and private listening spot.

What I would NOT DO is sell the HE-6 to by an HE-560, unless I didn't have an amp that could properly drive the HE-6 and couldn't afford one.

So...I'm very much tempted to hit pre-order.

I sold my HE-5LE recently, which I simply adored, in order to pay off some taxes. I instantly regretted it and wished I had sold my desktop PC setup instead to pay off my taxes (I don't play video games anymore, but I do listen to music daily). Well, I've done just that now, and so I'm looking to get either another HE-5LE, the HE-400i, or the HE-560.

HeadphoneAddict, thank you for the great write-up and continued updates on your impressions of this headphone. Everything I've read about it sounds like I'd love it - except perhaps one thing I am concerned about. I preferred the HE-5LE to the HD800 because I liked the more intimate presentation of the HE-5LE. Intimacy in and of itself is not necessarily a draw for me in a headphone - I highly value openness, airiness, and transparency. But, to me, with my particular pair and with my particular earpads, the HE-5LE had this awesome marriage of intimacy and openness / transparency. The HD800, on the setup I heard it on, had openness and transparency no doubt, but was not "near" enough to engage me. It sounded distant and failed to engage me in the same manner as the HE-5LE. Do you think this might be a legitimate concern of mine when considering the HE-560? Or does it grab you and throw you in the music?

The HE-560 are not quite as intimate as the HE-500 or HE-5LE, but they definitely are not as "distant" as the HD800.  It's closer to the HE-6.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #94 of 243
Is there any category where you think the 560 outperforms the 6?
Whaddya think?
Just wondering :)
Thanks.

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #98 of 243
  Another question -- is it worth having both the HE-560 and HE-500 or do these two essentially cancel each other out, more or less?

I think it's nice having both, but if I didn't already have an HE-500 I'd probably just buy the HE-560.  I own the HE-500 already and the HE-560 is different enough that I won't sell the HE-500, especially if they go out of production and are in high demand.

Is there any category where you think the 560 outperforms the 6?
Whaddya think?
Just wondering
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

The HE-560 is much more efficient so they don't sound too soft in their impact and dynamics when they're not given enough power. HE-6 has both a wide and deep soundstage, but the HE-560 might be a little wider.  I wIll need to do more comparisons when the new HE-560 with jerg's baffle mods arrives.

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #99 of 243
Thank you for the detailed write up. I'm really thinking about preordering a pair soon and possibly putting my HE500 on the classifieds. Though, would you mind answering a question?

How much more prominent are the upper mids/lower treble on the HE560 vs the HE500? I've always disliked how the 3-5kish region was a bit too recessed, especially from someone who enjoys the HD600 which kind of exagerrates that point.

I guess what I'm looking for in the HE560 is a brighter, more neutral HE500 or a "HD600 on crack". Retaining the 600s neutral tone while giving it more technical ability.

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #100 of 243
Thank you for the detailed write up. I'm really thinking about preordering a pair soon and possibly putting my HE500 on the classifieds. Though, would you mind answering a question?

How much more prominent are the upper mids/lower treble on the HE560 vs the HE500? I've always disliked how the 3-5kish region was a bit too recessed, especially from someone who enjoys the HD600 which kind of exagerrates that point.

I guess what I'm looking for in the HE560 is a brighter, more neutral HE500 or a "HD600 on crack". Retaining the 600s neutral tone while giving it more technical ability.

Don't they call that the HD-800? (caution, speculation, I own the 800 and find them a tad on the bright side of neutral, depending on the amp but I've never even heard the 600).

I think your question to quantify upper mids between the 500 and 560 is very hard to answer, the only right answer imo would be that you'll just have to try 'em and see.  I don't plan on selling my HE-500 anytime soon..too good with vocals and perfect mids.  But if I get the chance I'll audition the 560 and while I'm at it (it'll probably mean a 160 mile drive, one way) also the LCD-X.

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #101 of 243
Don't they call that the HD-800? (caution, speculation, I own the 800 and find them a tad on the bright side of neutral, depending on the amp but I've never even heard the 600).

I've heard both side by side, the 800 isn't the 600 on crack IMO. 800 is a lot more distant sounding and sterile. I love the HD600 for its warmer tone/more up close sound and favor it over the 800.

Still contemplating preording at the last minute....

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #102 of 243
Obviously I can't say about the 600 but I noticed in your profile that you own a Burson soloist.  If that's what you used with the 800:  I initially auditioned them with a Burson conductor and sterile/brittle sounding was also my impression.  Then I tried my Vio V200 and it was already a totally different story with the HD-800...LOTS better.  But imo they do best with a good tube amp.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #103 of 243

I've heard both side by side, the 800 isn't the 600 on crack IMO. 800 is a lot more distant sounding and sterile. I love the HD600 for its warmer tone/more up close sound and favor it over the 800.

Still contemplating preording at the last minute....

They sound to you distant sounding because of much wider soundstage compared to HD650 (never heard HD600 but i think their soundstage is same). I also thought what is wrong when i tried HD700 back then and it took me several hours before i got adjusted to it and much better instruments separation it created. So now i own HD800 and can't go back to HD650. I agree that HD800 maybe to bright for some so get yourself a tube amp which allows tube rolling (Crack is perfect start) which will let fine tune sound signature to your liking or use professional EQ (voxengo curve EQ) which will let you to do same by creating a curve while you listening to a song

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #104 of 243
They sound to you distant sounding because of much wider soundstage compared to HD650 (never heard HD600 but i think their soundstage is same). I also thought what is wrong when i tried HD700 back then and it took me several hours before i got adjusted to it and much better instruments separation it created. So now i own HD800 and can't go back to HD650. I agree that HD800 maybe to bright for some so get yourself a tube amp which allows tube rolling (Crack is perfect start) which will let fine tune sound signature to your liking or use professional EQ (voxengo curve EQ) which will let you to do same by creating a curve while you listening to a song

Or maaaybe people should just buy a different headphone that suits their taste better, rather than having to spend money on a tube amp & tubes. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #105 of 243

Or maaaybe people should just buy a different headphone that suits their taste better, rather than having to spend money on a tube amp & tubes. 
rolleyes.gif

Maybe but i prefer tube amp to SS plus some headphones sound better with tube amp than SS one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back