[REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600
Jun 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #136 of 260
Quote:
I was in the same boat as you. Back in December last year I had the HE400 for a while, and only got the HE500 because I had the chance to get it really, really cheap. Even after getting it, the sound just didn't click with me for the longest time, it never felt $300 better than HE400. It wasn't until I started messing around with earpads and such when I started realizing the potential in terms of its refinement and smoothness. Extensively modded earpads allowed the HE500's sound signature to breathe a lot more, whilst still retaining its lush qualities.

Same thing here Jerge the HE-500 will grow on you, + after switching to those comfy Velour pads lol Im driving it off the DX100 DAP which pairs excellent with the HE-500. One thing for sure is when I first used the O2 + HRT Music streamer +II with the HE-500 I was not intrigued at all on how it sounded to my ears. So IMO not only does it have to be the amp pairing but also synergy within the source.The DX100 is the best source i've ever had and pairs excellentwith the O2 and He-500.

EDIT: The HE-500 can also feel uncomfortable at first, but eventually you will start to noticed the break in within the band to fit nice and comfortable on your head ^_^

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #137 of 260
Quote:
Being a HD600(owned), HD650, and HE-500 owner I've found that I don't believe the HD600 is even in the HE-500 league. Although I disagree heavily with your review, we all hear things differently. Very good review. Im going to get my HE-400 out to you and maybe you will find the HE-400 a much better match. As at first I found myself heavily addicted to the HE-400 before that refined lushness affect of the HE-500 grew on me. Even my friends preferred the He-400 over the HE-500. If paired wrongly the HE-500 can sound very boring along with the HD 650s. The HD 650's seems to have a DRY/Smooth sound signature. If you don't like the HE-500 then most likely you will not like the HD650's. As the HE-500 is in a league above all the Headphones I've mentioned.  Good review eke2k6, im glad you enjoy your HD600 as they are a marvelous headphone.

I've found the HE-400 to be more versatile and superior than the HD-650's and 600. IMHO

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #138 of 260
Quote:
As much as I want to say the HE-500 dominates any headphone in it's price range I can't. Simply because we all hear things differently, and some people may not like them as much as others. The HE-500 HE-6, He-400 are the best headphones in my current inventory. It is hard to see someone disliking any of the HE series except the 300's. We all have our preferences, and eke2k6 has found his. One thing me and him do have in common is the Vsonic GR07 :) now that's a sexy awesome IEM hahahaah

Quote:
Being a HD600(owned), HD650, and HE-500 owner I've found that I don't believe the HD600 is even in the HE-500 league. Although I disagree heavily with your review, we all hear things differently. Very good review. Im going to get my HE-400 out to you and maybe you will find the HE-400 a much better match. As at first I found myself heavily addicted to the HE-400 before that refined lushness affect of the HE-500 grew on me. Even my friends preferred the He-400 over the HE-500. If paired wrongly the HE-500 can sound very boring along with the HD 650s. The HD 650's seems to have a DRY/Smooth sound signature. If you don't like the HE-500 then most likely you will not like the HD650's. As the HE-500 is in a league above all the Headphones I've mentioned.  Good review eke2k6, im glad you enjoy your HD600 as they are a marvelous headphone.

Quote:
I've found the HE-400 to be more versatile and superior than the HD-650's and 600. IMHO

I'm just curious about where exactly areas you find them better.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #139 of 260
Quote:

I'm just curious about where exactly areas you find them better.

HE-400 faster, slightly less soundstage than the HD600, easier to drive, lovely sparkle in the treble, and more engaging. Bass has more texture/detail and much quicker than both headphones while still giving the music a nice punch to it.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #140 of 260
Quote:
HE-400 faster, slightly less soundstage than the HD600, easier to drive, lovely sparkle in the treble, and more engaging. Bass has more texture/detail and much quicker than both headphones while still giving the music a nice punch to it.

I agree with the quickness, easier to drive and engaging and the sugary treble sparkle lol. The bass is very good in the He-400 with excellent punch :D but I do find the bass to my ears more addicting than the HD600. but the HD650's seems to go even deeper... in some tracks

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #141 of 260
Quote:

Ok, I could give you bass, but what about the midrange? And that lovely sparkle you hear could be the massive and troubling 10K spike that so any complain about in the he-400 thread.

I won't comment further about the 400 since I haven't heard it, but I'm just curious about the 500.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #142 of 260
Quote:

Ok, I could give you bass, but what about the midrange? And that lovely sparkle you hear could be the massive and troubling 10K spike that so any complain about in the he-400 thread.

I won't comment further about the 400 since I haven't heard it, but I'm just curious about the 500.

most people know the main strengths of Hifiman Headphones is it's midrange. I was in hurry when I typed that, so I forgot to mention. If you love the mids of the HE-500 then I am sure you will like the mids of the HE-400. That might be the final reason of why you may enjoy the HE-400 over the HD600 if you get the chance to hear them. mids are slightly pushed back on the HE-400 vs the 500 but it's still a delightful treat. the mids of the HE-500 are much more prominent.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #143 of 260
Quote:
most people know the main strengths of Hifiman Headphones is it's midrange. I was in hurry when I typed that, so I forgot to mention. If you love the mids of the HE-500 then I am sure you will like the mids of the HE-400. That might be the final reason of why you may enjoy the HE-400 over the HD600 if you get the chance to hear them. mids are slightly pushed back on the HE-400 vs the 500 but it's still a delightful treat. the mids of the HE-500 are much more prominent.

It's not that the mids are too prominent on the 500. It's just that the mid-treble transition doesn't sound natural to me, and there is little soundstage depth and height in comparison.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #144 of 260
The HE-500, HE-400, and HD 600... which is the faster, more sparkly can?

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #146 of 260
Quote:
The HE-500, HE-400, and HD 600... which is the faster, more sparkly can?

The HE-500 has more detail than both the HE-400 and HD600. The HE-500 is also less colored than the 2.  He-400 and He-500 are both faster than the HD600 that's a fact. The HE400 has a nice sparkle in treble, but can also spike.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #149 of 260
Quote:
My review and comparison of the Sennheiser HD-600 and the HifiMAN HE-500 is as follows.  I am driving both of these headphones with an Audio-GD NFB-12 at the moment.

The result?  I'm keeping both headphones as the only headphones that I'll own for my primary listening for at least the next few years I'm sick of going through upgrades that don't necessarily materialize in being a true upgrade.  I'm also sick of losing money as I go through an upgrade that ends up turning out to be a side-grade exchange, at best.

Each member here will have their own preferences for headphones and amps.  I don't think one has to get all technical and perform their testing in a true analytic manner.  We just need to keep what we hear as something that gives us enjoyment.  For gosh sakes, we're not creating life-altering medications here.  At the end of the day, all that matters is that the listener is happy with what they hear so that they can form an enjoyable relationship with their music.

[size=16.363636016845703px]'Nuff said.[/size]

haha best post eva.
like i said in another thread i was happy with a portable cassette player + basic headphones and a vhs back in the early 90s and the if the technology didn't advance to where you had to upgrade i would've stayed there.
all about what you're happy with and enjoying imo.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #150 of 260
Quote:
go_quote.gif

haha best post eva.
like i said in another thread i was happy with a portable cassette player + basic headphones and a vhs back in the early 90s and the if the technology didn't advance to where you had to upgrade i would've stayed there.
all about what you're happy with and enjoying imo.

+1000
Just like how im still using my old IBM thinkpad laptop, as if it was spanking new
Newer is not always better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back