[REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600
Mar 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #91 of 260
Quote:

What you don't seem to understand.  Reviews and impressions are all subjective and just your opinion on things.  What if  I were to say I hear the opposite of what you do.  Then tell you those are my objective findings.  They're not.  They would be my subjective views just as yours are subjective.

Ack. I wasn't going to reply, but this is too much.

Have you ever read a scientific journal article? Let me start you off slowly:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10552-013-0186-0

A study is designed by holding some things constant, while introducing variables. The next step is to record the results as they present themselves. The last step is the interpretation/conclusion, where the results are explained, and data can then be fit to a model.

My review follows this same pattern in the sense that my constants are the HE-500 and HD600. The variables are the songs I chose. The interpretation/conclusion was the fact that I chose a winner based on the evidence gleaned from the experiment, and my personal tastes/experience.

Graphs are not the only qualifier for an objective set of impressions.

This is a subjective review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/657098/quick-review-of-hifi-man-he-400

Mine is not.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #92 of 260
Quote:

Ack. I wasn't going to reply, but this is too much.

Have you ever read a scientific journal article? Let me start you off slowly:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10552-013-0186-0

A study is designed by holding some things constant, while introducing variables. The next step is to record the results as they present themselves. The last step is the interpretation/conclusion, where the results are explained, and data can then be fit to a model.

My review follows this same pattern in the sense that my constants are the HE-500 and HD600. The variables are the songs I chose. The interpretation/conclusion was the fact that I chose a winner based on the evidence gleaned from the experiment, and my personal tastes/experience.

Graphs are not the only qualifier for an objective set of impressions.

This is a subjective review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/657098/quick-review-of-hifi-man-he-400

Mine is not.

I would not consider your personal tastes (or mine personal tastes, by the way) as basis for an objective review.
I (subjectively of course) find your review subjective, according to my personal tastes the HE500 is better.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #93 of 260
Quote:
I would not consider your personal tastes (or mine personal tastes, by the way) as basis for an objective review.
I (subjectively of course) find your review subjective, according to my personal tastes the HE500 is better.

Please don't cherry pick my sentences. Read the entire post.

Subjectivity or objectivity relies more on the methods used than on the actual result.

Look, if you listen to both these phones with the same tracks and find different results - like for instance, if you're a fellow drummer and you think the HE-500 sounds more like real drums on the 4th (binaural) track, or that the HE-500 is the one that actually presents a more coherent stage - then say so. But if all you have to contribute is that my puny amp cannot power the HE-500, or that my methods are "subjective", please refrain from commenting. Simply move along.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #94 of 260

Subjectivity or objectivity relies more on the methods used than on the actual result.

Look, if you listen to both these phones with the same tracks and find different results - like for instance, if you're a fellow drummer and you think the HE-500 sounds more like real drums on the 4th (binaural) track, or that the HE-500 is the one that actually presents a more coherent stage - then say so. But if all you have to contribute is that my puny amp cannot power the HE-500, or that my methods are "subjective", please refrain from commenting. Simply move along.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #95 of 260
Using largely objective methods and controlling many variables does not necessarily mean your results are objective. For one, the biggest confounding variable is your personal preference.

That applies to more or less every other impression-based review out there; none of those can be objectively interpreted because they are all based on personal preferences, which are SO highly variable from reviewer to reviewer, and even within reviewers, that it "drowns out" all the controls laid down.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #96 of 260
Quote:
Using largely objective methods and controlling many variables does not necessarily mean your results are objective. For one, the biggest confounding variable is your personal preference.

That applies to more or less every other impression-based review out there; none of those can be objectively interpreted because they are all based on personal preferences, which are SO highly variable from reviewer to reviewer, and even within reviewers, that it "drowns out" all the controls laid down.

See the above, and re-read the review if you have to.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #97 of 260
Quote:

I have read the entire post.
I have not made any comment about your amp's capability of powering the HE500.
I will follow your last advice, thanks for tolerating me.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #98 of 260
Quote:

See the above, and re-read the review if you have to.

Oh I did. I understand your intentions and methodologies are entirely honourable, my point is just that personal preference (which I forgot to clarify, includes things like perception and interpretation of sound) dictates a lot. Obviously people are ticked off here, and I think it's not because of your results, but because of the authority with which you stated those results.

Comparative reviews are a touchy thing in this hobby 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #99 of 260
Quote:

Comparative reviews are a touchy thing in this hobby 
rolleyes.gif

I've noticed...

I'm not saying that my review is totally objective. This entire hobby is based on subjectivity. Music is a personal thing that touches a person's past, and is linked to memories, etc.

What I do take offense to is others dismissing my efforts and accusing me of biases and so forth, when they are the ones with a horse in the race.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #100 of 260
Testing, testing, awww very cool. Interesting how using the ignore function and hitting the refresh icon breaths a breath of fresh air into a thread. So anyways eke I'm curious, since everyone seems fired up concerning your findings using your amp are you contemplating reevaluating the HE500 with a completely different amp?

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #101 of 260
You have a objective method with subjective results.  I say this because I can use the same method as you and come out with my own set of subjective results that will / may differ from yours.

When you justify the results with your hearing, is when it becomes subjective.  

There is nothing objective with the results of your review.   It may be an objective method but the results are pure subjective.  

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #102 of 260
Quote:
Testing, testing, awww very cool. Interesting how using the ignore function and hitting the refresh icon breaths a breath of fresh air into a thread. So anyways eke I'm curious, since everyone seems fired up concerning your findings using your amp are you contemplating reevaluating the HE500 with a completely different amp?

That's not the point here.  I see you don't get it either.  His amp, power and all that jazz has nothing to do with it.  

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #103 of 260
Quote:

I've already sent back the HE-500. I was prepared to go on a ramen diet for a while if it was worth it though.

I got a tube amp today. It's a clone of the EarMax

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #104 of 260
Quote:

I've already sent back the HE-500. I was prepared to go on a ramen diet for a while if it was worth it though.

I got a tube amp today. It's a clone of the EarMax

Throw some pics up my man. I'll probably be heading down the tubey road myself now that I'm a Q701 owner.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #105 of 260
My review and comparison of the Sennheiser HD-600 and the HifiMAN HE-500 is as follows.  I am driving both of these headphones with an Audio-GD NFB-12 at the moment.

The result?  I'm keeping both headphones as the only headphones that I'll own for my primary listening for at least the next few years I'm sick of going through upgrades that don't necessarily materialize in being a true upgrade.  I'm also sick of losing money as I go through an upgrade that ends up turning out to be a side-grade exchange, at best.

Each member here will have their own preferences for headphones and amps.  I don't think one has to get all technical and perform their testing in a true analytic manner.  We just need to keep what we hear as something that gives us enjoyment.  For gosh sakes, we're not creating life-altering medications here.  At the end of the day, all that matters is that the listener is happy with what they hear so that they can form an enjoyable relationship with their music.

[size=16.363636016845703px]'Nuff said.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back