[REVIEW] HiFiMAN HE-500 vs Sennheiser HD600
Jan 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #211 of 260
Not quite. HD600 feels like all the frequencies are smashed together. He500 has a lot more detail, air and slightly better soundstage. Soundstage-wise, it's nothing like the HD800, but still better than the HD600.

frekans.png

But HE-500 does have a dip between 1-5KHz, which may be a deal breaker for some. HD700 has a way worse dip around the same frequencies, and that was a deal breaker for me.

Ultimately I feel the benefits outweigh the cons. I'm still undecided. I would definitely get the HE-500 if it were as comfortable as the HD600 though...

What does "HD600 feels like all the frequencies are smashed together" actually mean? Monotone, no way. Other than the roll offs at the most extreme ends of FR, it may have the flattest FR, certainly the mids look like the best in this graph.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #212 of 260
  What does "HD600 feels like all the frequencies are smashed together" actually mean? Monotone, no way. Other than the roll offs at the most extreme ends of FR, it may have the flattest FR, certainly the mids look like the best in this graph.

HD600's frequency response might just be the best there is, it is extremely flat and balanced, save for the deep lows. No problem with that.

What I mean is that I can hear each and every sound and frequency easily, with more detail. It's as if there's some distance between them (I don't imaging). All sounds are separate from each other. This distinction is a lot harder with the HD600. I think this has a lot to do with the response to square waves. There are way more artifacts in the HD600 compared to the HE500.

I hope this helps.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #213 of 260
  HD600's frequency response might just be the best there is, it is extremely flat and balanced, save for the deep lows. No problem with that.

What I mean is that I can hear each and every sound and frequency easily, with more detail. It's as if there's some distance between them (I don't imaging). All sounds are separate from each other. This distinction is a lot harder with the HD600. I think this has a lot to do with the response to square waves. There are way more artifacts in the HD600 compared to the HE500.

I hope this helps.

What artifacts? That's a loose statement.

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #215 of 260

Take a look at any square wave response function at headroom or innerfidelity. You'll see that they're not perfect square waves; but have some overshoot, than smaller secondary and sometimes tertiary waves (in case of HD600). Check one out and you'll see what I mean.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #216 of 260
Seeing the continued success of this thread, and how the HE-500 vs HD800 thread is going stronger than ever, shall I start a HD600 vs HD800 thread?
wink.gif

Joking aside, it was quite difficult to find out the OP's chain, and it ended up being the same chain used for both I believe, and an obscure amp. Having experienced the HE-500 on both regular headphone amps like the WA7 and speaker amps like the Emotiva MiniX, I would comment that in my experience, you're not getting the most out of the HE-500 from a regular headphone amp. IMO of course.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #217 of 260

I hope this helps.

Take a look at any square wave response function at headroom or innerfidelity. You'll see that they're not perfect square waves; but have some overshoot, than smaller secondary and sometimes tertiary waves (in case of HD600). Check one out and you'll see what I mean.

And one can distinctly hear these other artifacts and ringing on transitions? What exactly do they sound like? Tyll at Innerfidelity wasn't all that concerned about this and called the HD600's "Yup, I'll say it, one of the worlds greatest headphones." You might find that the HE-500 and many other cans aren't all that different. TIn an article about the HE-500's, he states, "My sense of it is that you do need to see some overshoot and ring for the headphones to sound properly quick."
I own both cans and have no serious issues with either. Now we're not talking about Skull Candy or Beats. 
happy_face1.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #218 of 260
  Seeing the continued success of this thread, and how the HE-500 vs HD800 thread is going stronger than ever, shall I start a HD600 vs HD800 thread?
wink.gif

Joking aside, it was quite difficult to find out the OP's chain, and it ended up being the same chain used for both I believe, and an obscure amp. Having experienced the HE-500 on both regular headphone amps like the WA7 and speaker amps like the Emotiva MiniX, I would comment that in my experience, you're not getting the most out of the HE-500 from a regular headphone amp. IMO of course.

Doesn't that depend on the actual amp. The Schitt Valhalla would do well on the HD600 and not be able to drive the HE-500 as it's impedance is too high and power levels too low. I'll bet the the Magni (1.2 W at 32 Ohms) might do well and it's incredibly inexpensive. Remember this is an HE-500, not the power hungry HE-6. Have you had a chance to listen to the Magni, I was pleasantly surprised.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #219 of 260
Doesn't that depend on the actual amp. The Schitt Valhalla would do well on the HD600 and not be able to drive the HE-500 as it's impedance is too high and power levels too low. I'll bet the the Magni (1.2 W at 32 Ohms) might do well and it's incredibly inexpensive. Remember this is an HE-500, not the power hungry HE-6. Have you had a chance to listen to the Magni, I was pleasantly surprised.

I have tried O2 which is similar. Was not impressed

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #220 of 260

And one can distinctly hear these other artifacts and ringing on transitions? What exactly do they sound like? Tyll at Innerfidelity wasn't all that concerned about this and called the HD600's "Yup, I'll say it, one of the worlds greatest headphones." You might find that the HE-500 and many other cans aren't all that different. TIn an article about the HE-500's, he states, "My sense of it is that you do need to see some overshoot and ring for the headphones to sound properly quick."
I own both cans and have no serious issues with either. Now we're not talking about Skull Candy or Beats. 
happy_face1.gif

Whoa... Tyll says so? I must have heard wrong then. Never mind that I've been listening HD600 for the past 11 years, and that I have an HD800, HD700, HD600, HE-500 and the LCD-2.2 on my desk right now, and have been comparing them for the past month. Geez... 

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #222 of 260

Whoa... Tyll says so? I must have heard wrong then. Never mind that I've been listening HD600 for the past 11 years, and that I have an HD800, HD700, HD600, HE-500 and the LCD-2.2 on my desk right now, and have been comparing them for the past month. Geez... 

Well then, keep listening...
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #223 of 260
wink.gif

What?  The mini X vs. the O2 maybe.  But there are many headphone amps out there that will take the HE-500 to their limit.  The HE-500 is not a difficult headphone to drive.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back